Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those figures are a load of shit

This was in the Sydney morning herald haha

Broncos calling
The money being thrown around by the Broncos has sparked speculation that Wayne Bennett will end up there in 2015. Cameron Smith has been offered a record $1.4million a year to head home. Martin Kennedy is said to be on $400,000 plus and the Raiders insist the money the Broncos are throwing at Anthony Milford is edging past $700,000. That smells like a club on a mission. The Raiders have told Milford that he is expected at training before Christmas.

Haha! Love it. **** 'em all, who cares what Sydney clubs think.

i'm sure the Raiders want to believe that the Broncos offered Milford over 700k a year, because it would make them feel better about him turning down their massive offer... and who would choose family over money :rolleyes:

Those figures are a load of ****

How do they pluck these figures out of their arse...

Then of course you have everyone forget everything they know about the cap thinking they would be base salaries and claim we've been "rorting the cap for years" ignoring how many mediocre players we have (had).

This was in the Sydney morning herald haha

Broncos calling
The money being thrown around by the Broncos has sparked speculation that Wayne Bennett will end up there in 2015. Cameron Smith has been offered a record $1.4million a year to head home. Martin Kennedy is said to be on $400,000 plus and the Raiders insist the money the Broncos are throwing at Anthony Milford is edging past $700,000. That smells like a club on a mission. The Raiders have told Milford that he is expected at training before Christmas.

you have a link to the article? or was it in print form? cheers

Re: Broncos Announce Hodges & Parker as Co-Captains

"I don't think Thaiday's leadership last year was the problem for the Broncos," Lewis toldThe Sunday Mail.
"His individual form wasn't helped by what was going on at the Broncos.
"They were changing things around and I don't think playing in the front row helped him, but that is the coach's decision.
"People start looking for excuses and blame in times like that and it is unfortunate Sam has to deal with that because he had a fairly handy year

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I have to agree with Wally although i don't think Sam had a good year he def like I've said before has become the scapegoat for poor choices by Griffin. I think this decision should be the last straw for him, he really needs to go, I'm getting the feeling a lot of former players are now leaning towards that also.

[/FONT]http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/as-a-fellow-axed-brisbane-broncos-captain-wally-lewis-feels-sam-thaidays-kingsized-blow/story-fniabm4i-1226799704860

If it was one season of poor form you might be able to excuse it, two in a row you can't and as captain, playing in the front row when required is something you should be expected to step up to the plate and perform, no one was asking him to play fullback, it was a much tougher ask to expect Lockyer to go back to 5/8th and he did with little fuss or excuse for his early poor form there and even his bad games weren't as bad as Thaiday's have been(not that I'm saying Thaiday has been making excuses, but I do think there are those amongst the fans, past players and media who have made far too many excuses for him). There was a clear indication in his captaincy in a game last season where he let the side down by getting sin binned at a crucial moment in that particular game, the side was holding on and needed their captain to come out all gun blazing, instead he comes out flat, uninterested and uninspiring, thats unacceptable from a captain, particularly one who should lead through his own actions. Thaiday has his own issues as a player to address, that should be his concern and his sole concern, if he doesn't have that or his mindset right you can't expect him to handle the captaincy duties on top of that, I like others want to see the best of him return, if that means losing the captaincy so be it.

Is he being made a scapegoat? No his being held responsible for his own game and if you think that it somehow saves Griffin's position longterm your kidding yourself, anything below a serious improved season will see him gone, on the other hand I can still see Thaiday around regardless of being sacked as captain.

Also when it comes to Lewis his hardly in a position to show an unbiased position to comment on the subject and still harbors ill will towards the club over his sacking, references in a number of bronco related books and comments from past players have even indicated that there was divide amongst then player squad at the time of his captaincy at the club, feeling a divide between his circle of friends like Miles, Conescu, Scott and Dowling and the other players. Past players are entitled to their opinion and I appreciate the pressure they have been applying after the past two years, but that doesn't mean everything they say is necessarily right.

As for Griffin, do or die in 2014, no where to hide now, results or his gone.

Last edited:

If it was one season of poor form you might be able to excuse it, two in a row you can't and as captain, playing in the front row when required is something you should be expected to step up to the plate and perform, no one was asking him to play fullback, it was a much tougher ask to expect Lockyer to go back to 5/8th and he did with little fuss or excuse for his early poor form there and even his bad games weren't as bad as Thaiday's have been(not that I'm saying Thaiday has been making excuses, but I do think there are those amongst the fans, past players and media who have made far too many excuses for him). There was a clear indication in his captaincy in a game last season where he let the side down by getting sin binned at a crucial moment in that particular game, the side was holding on and needed their captain to come out all gun blazing, instead he comes out flat, uninterested and uninspiring, thats unacceptable from a captain, particularly one who should lead through his own actions. Thaiday has his own issues as a player to address, that should be his concern and his sole concern, if he doesn't have that or his mindset right you can't expect him to handle the captaincy duties on top of that, I like others want to see the best of him return, if that means losing the captaincy so be it.

Is he being made a scapegoat? No his being held responsible for his own game and if you think that it somehow saves Griffin's position longterm your kidding yourself, anything below a serious improved season will see him gone, on the other hand I can still see Thaiday around regardless of being sacked as captain.

Also when it comes to Lewis his hardly in a position to show an unbiased position to comment on the subject and still harbors ill will towards the club over his sacking, references in a number of bronco related books and comments from past players have even indicated that there was divide amongst then player squad at the time of his captaincy at the club, feeling a divide between his circle of friends like Miles, Conescu, Scott and Dowling and the other players. Past players are entitled to their opinion and I appreciate the pressure they have been applying after the past two years, but that doesn't mean everything they say is necessarily right.

As for Griffin, do or die in 2014, no where to hide now, results or his gone.

So sam cops the sack after two poor seasons as captain, yet Griffin keeps his job, hardly fair.

What is with all the negativity cammac. You're starting to bum me out. Have you considered 'supporting' a different club? Anyway, there is no one adequate to replace hook with it would benefit no one to change coach now. Hopefully the club has already started courting another coach. If Griffins changes prove to be for the better and there is marked improvement he keeps his job. Simple. He should get the chance see his changes through. The general consensus is that all the changes have been the right ones. Thaiday didn't get sacked. Griffin noticed what all of us have. Thaiday plays very well in rep games where he happens to play fewer minutes and isn't captain. So he asked thaiday to consider stepping down so that he can display that form at club level.

Last edited:

What is with all the negativity cammac. You're starting to bum me out. Have you considered 'supporting' a different club? Anyway, there is no one adequate to replace hook with it would benefit no one to change coach now. Hopefully the club has already started courting another coach. If Griffins changes prove to be for the better and there is marked improvement he keeps his job. Simple. He should get the chance see his changes through. The general consensus is that all the changes have been the right ones. Thaiday didn't get sacked. Griffin noticed what all of us have. Thaiday plays very well in rep games where he happens to play fewer minutes and isn't captain. So he asked thaiday to consider stepping down so that he can display that form at club level.

He's got the biggest anti-Griffin agenda amongst those on here. Always manages to throw a 'Hook is shit' statement/inference in regardless of the topic

Can we keep the anti hook agendas in another thread

Never saw him speak in the 20's but what i saw of him in the NRL post matches he was average at best, some what cringe worthy tbh.

Put it this way, he won't be joining the public speaking circuit after his playing days are over. But I don't really care about that, this is RL where it"s players aren't known for attending Harvard or even finishing high school. He would make a terrific leader if he was in form but unfortunately a very quiet 2013 means that he will be fighting for his first grade life, captaincy would not even be an afterthought for him atm. It might mean a couple more short term skippers in the future but that happens when a club is struggling, the place is a complete mess and it will take the return of Benny to fix it up again.

So sam cops the sack after two poor seasons as captain, yet Griffin keeps his job, hardly fair.

He still has a job at the Broncos, I hardly say removing him from captaincy is on the same level as outright losing your job as you and others would want Griffin to have. Griffin doesn't have the luxury of not producing results in 2014, he will be gone with all that's happened if it occurs, Thaiday on the other hand will most likely still be here even with another mediocre season from him.

Last edited:

Why would i support another team? I love the broncos and thats why I'm so passionate about getting a new coach. I apologise to all for coming across super negative, its not my intention to bring everyone down. I'll try and keep it a little less pessimistic.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, that includes cammac, regardless of where you stand on Griffin, Thaiday, Kearney, the general coaching staff, the players, the board, the direction the club is travelling etc we all want the best for the club, cammac is no different so lets just get back onto the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Evander
  • porouian
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • Manofoneway
  • Cobra Kai
  • leish107
  • Howie
  • davidp
  • Reds2011
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • phoenix
  • whykickamoocow
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.