Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its all good to want to drop players due to performances ... but you need to have guys in the lower grades that would do a better job. we didn't this season. partly due to the injuries we had this year.

When your NRL squad is not performing, that is when the lower grade players need to DEMAND selection through their performances in the QLD Cup/Under 20s. Our lower grade players didn't do this, if their not performing well in the far lower standard QLD Cup, what makes anyone think they will be able to perform in the toughest rugby league competition in the world. It is no good throwing your young guys to the wolves if they're not ready ... all that does is destroy their confidence and set back their development (sometimes they don't even recover from it).

This is my take on Griffin and Gee currently:

He realised that we were unfit this year --- so he sacks fitness coach (a friend of his BTW) and hires one of the most respected fitness coaches in the league from one of the fittest teams in the league.

Realised we lacked depth this year in certain positions --- signs players to provide that depth (remember with the salary cap not every player can be an Inglis, or a Thurston)

Realised we were at least one prop short thris year (hence the need to play Thaiday at prop for much of the season) --- signs another prop (Kennedy) who is beingf talked about as a future QLD SOO rep

Realised we lacked a bit of spark and x-factor --- Signs Barba, who could have just as easily gone to the Titans where his brother was playing at the time. (he tried to get that x-factor out of Norman this year, but the guy wanted to sulk and play with no heart)

Realised our development was falling behind where it should be --- signs a very good talent scout/development officer (in Brian Edwards), who scouted guys like Milford and Papalli for the Raiders

Realises Peter Wallace can't lead the side as hope in the post Lockyer era --- tells him to find another club (in the process making Fourex the happiest man alive)

All of these move indicate to me that he is heading in the right direction, and IMO he deserves at least the start of 2014 to see these changes through and see if things improve. if the do great if they don't then he will be out of a job.

FTR, i still agree with him that the Prince signing at the price we were able to get him for was worth the gamble.

also while you seem to want to compare Griffin to guys like McGuire and Robinson lets do that.

since Robinson and <cGuire are both in their first seasons as an NRL coach, we have to compare it to Griffins first year as an NRL Coach.

Griffin --- Prelim Final
McGuire --- Prelim Final
Robinson --- GF winner

Well actually its Maguires second year and he has taken them to Prelims twice.This was after inheriting a team with a brand new number 7 who had just come off an acl injury. He also won the super league in 2010 and the challenge cup in 2011 and as for Robinson i think it speaks for itself, turning around a team who was doing so poorly regardless of the players they acquired is no mean feat. If it was all about the calibre of the players the cowboys would have won by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone think that Hook helps the players with personal matters and knows them and their lives well?. Having a coach that is a mentor and a mate helps the team morale greatly and the coach must know his players well.

Does anyone think that Hook helps the players with personal matters and knows them and their lives well?. Having a coach that is a mentor and a mate helps the team morale greatly and the coach must know his players well.

Im sure he does, but as some guy on here who is in the know said (Ive forgotten his username), Hook couldn't motivate the team last year, so being a friend to your players is all well and good, but if you can't get them up for the game then its useless.

Im sure he does, but as some guy on here who is in the know said (Ive forgotten his username), Hook couldn't motivate the team last year, so being a friend to your players is all well and good, but if you can't get them up for the game then its useless.
I disagree with that. The issue under Hook has never been motivation or effort. I didn't see the team capitulate at any time, unlike it did under Henjak.

There were certainly plenty of issues, which have been scrutinised here, but that is nowhere near the top of the list.

I disagree with that. The issue under Hook has never been motivation or effort. I didn't see the team capitulate at any time, unlike it did under Henjak.

There were certainly plenty of issues, which have been scrutinised here, but that is nowhere near the top of the list.

'We see that he lacked the ability to motivate them and also improve their attitude'

That was by @rogerwilco in the rebuilding the broncos thread, he by all accounts is in the know or apart of the broncos system.

'We see that he lacked the ability to motivate them and also improve their attitude'

That was by @rogerwilco in the rebuilding the broncos thread, he by all accounts is in the know or apart of the broncos system.
Paul White is in the know and part of the Broncos system too, he thinks Griffin is alright.

He also thinks Gee is alright.
I think he's alright too.

He's done lots of good things this year to set us up for sucess in future years. If we add Milford to the list we can just about say he's the best recruiter in the game :)

He also thinks Gee is alright.

Pfft ....Andrew Gee is a hopeless ****.

He single handedly fucked the Inglis deal, has missed countless youngsters like DCE and Milford

resigned Peter Wallace last year .....:001_rolleyes:

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other shit **** decisions he's made........

He should go before Griffin.

He single handedly fucked the Inglis deal, has missed countless youngsters like DCE and Milford

None of this is true.

Pfft ....Andrew Gee is a hopeless ****.

He single handedly ****ed the Inglis deal, has missed countless youngsters like DCE and Milford

resigned Peter Wallace last year .....:001_rolleyes:

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other **** **** decisions he's made........

He should go before Griffin.

Gee wasn't in his role till 2010 he was working with sponsors before that and quit the club altogether in 2009 by 2010 Milford was 16 and been signed to the Raiders for 4 years.

DCE was playing Qld Cup in 2010 for Sunny Coast and had already played two seasons of Under 20's for Manly.

When do you think Canberra and Manly signed those respective talents?

EDIT: nevermind.

When do you think Canberra and Manly signed those respective talents?

When do you think someone starts thinking about taking on a role as important as an NRL clubs football operations manger

.......from the moment they sign the contract?

Gee should have been always on the look out for talent flowing through Brisbanes hands.....whether he was being paid to or not.

So now everyone who has ever worked or had any association at the club is responsible for these missed opportunities.

Leave those straws alone Fourex, you're suffocating them.

So now everyone who has ever worked or had any association at the club is responsible for these missed opportunities.

Where did I say that ?

Gee has the most important job at the club.....football operations. You don't just decide to take that kind of role with a club having as great a history as ours on a whim.

In his mind's eye he should have been running the show well before he actually got the gig

...if he was going to be any good.

By your logic, anybody who ever had those aspirations has to shoulder that blame, it's flawed.

How would you even know that Gee didn't recommend these players and whoever was in charge turned him down?

Stick to the facts Fourex, not your 'possible exaggerations'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Locky’s Left Boot
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • RolledOates
  • Wolfie
  • Redfern_1980
  • Cavalo
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Old Mate
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Hurrijo
  • john1420
  • FACTHUNT
  • mrslong
  • Big Del
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Skyblues87
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.