Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
For crying out loud, look at the rosters Maguire and Robinson had compared to Price, any coach will look good in those circumstances. Let's see how both those guys go over a couple of years first hey before we cry about not getting them. Griffin took us to a semi very early too don't forget, although you probably already have.

No sproj, stop talking sense. Ignore the fact that nearly anyone could have 'coached' those sides. McGuire is a supercoach

No sproj, stop talking sense. Ignore the fact that nearly anyone could have 'coached' those sides. McGuire is a supercoach

Nonsense. Who said either were a super coach? As far as coaching goes they are doing better then griffin. But sure griffin taking us to a semi, then scrapping us in to a final, then taking us to the worst season in the history of the club means he is still a great choice! Wake up. I think its petty if you dismiss the records of Robinson or Madge tbh,as it is a lot more consistent then your mate hook.

Coach Griffin has absolutely no claim to having a good record. His coaching record could have been equalled by a no talent know all. Anyone could have coached as well as he has. Even Nashy. To match his record ( Griffin ) all you would need to do was sit in the stands and call Parker for progress reports. The team would have done every bit as well if Griffin had remained at home and been a poster on this site. He has brought nothing to the team. Not a single thing is new,in fact we have regressed under his ' leadership '.

In the last few years we have gained a reputation as easy beats. I want a new coach and so does many others. He probably has about 8 weeks of the new season . About a third of the season. I'd be happier if that happened to have Warren Ryan come in once a week for a day to give the team a plan and some guidance then leave them to their own devices under the leadership of Parker. We could and would do no worse .

Coach Griffin has absolutely no claim to having a good record. His coaching record could have been equalled by a no talent know all. Anyone could have coached as well as he has. Even Nashy. To match his record ( Griffin ) all you would need to do was sit in the stands and call Parker for progress reports. The team would have done every bit as well if Griffin had remained at home and been a poster on this site. He has brought nothing to the team. Not a single thing is new,in fact we have regressed under his ' leadership '.

In the last few years we have gained a reputation as easy beats. I want a new coach and so does many others. He probably has about 8 weeks of the new season . About a third of the season. I'd be happier if that happened to have Warren Ryan come in once a week for a day to give the team a plan and some guidance then leave them to their own devices under the leadership of Parker. We could and would do no worse .

Last season had to be a massive wakeup call for Hook.

If things don't change early next year then we'd have no choice but to get rid of him.

Actually i'm really looking forward to seeing if he can change things up...create some new plays, and get them attacking the opposition in defence.

I don't think anyone is saying Hook has been a great coach but he has done better than some of you doomsayers would have people believe. He has got a squad already for next year now with or without Milford that will give a clear indication of his ability or lack there of. But if someone Maguire came in with the squad we have accumulated, that would be like comparing apples and oranges with the mediocre squad we had this year. And despite the fact we had an average squad coupled with key injuries, he still took us in sight of the finals plus making the tough decisions of booting Norman and Wallace. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good vandetta.

I don't think anyone is saying Hook has been a great coach but he has done better than some of you doomsayers would have people believe. He has got a squad already for next year now with or without Milford that will give a clear indication of his ability or lack there of. But if someone Maguire came in with the squad we have accumulated, that would be like comparing apples and oranges with the mediocre squad we had this year. And despite the fact we had an average squad coupled with key injuries, he still took us in sight of the finals plus making the tough decisions of booting Norman and Wallace. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good vandetta.

The reason we had an ordinary squad was because of Griffin not wanting to go into the player market so the point about him not having the talent is redundant as it was his doing. Which again reinforces the fact that he is as terrible as us 'doomsayers' believe.

The reason we had an ordinary squad was because of Griffin not wanting to go into the player market so the point about him not having the talent is redundant as it was his doing. Which again reinforces the fact that he is as terrible as us 'doomsayers' believe.

So he backed his young players? Oh the rage!! He also realized he needed more and admitted a mistake, what a douche.

So he backed his young players? Oh the rage!! He also realized he needed more and admitted a mistake, what a douche.

Don't waste your breath mate

Make a mistake ! Once sure, forgive but it wasn't just one. He wasted money on Prince. He kept using a redundant strategy . He chose the players he got. So did suddenly he gain wisdom, insight and good judgement from somewhere ? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting differing results. I attended the vital game when Newcastle came from behind to snuff out any hope. It was his captain who almost singlehandedly blew what little chance we had left. He's had ample time to show us his stuff. Borrowed time is all that he has left. Where were our big forwards, the very basis of a winning side ? Dummies like me could see we were light on at the start of the season. That was Griffins doing, did he learn nothing from WB. Old hard nuts, totally absent.

There were many other failings as well, including persisting with Wallace and Norman.

I don't understand how people can claim Griffin hasn't been a failure so far. Sure, you can say that you are willing to see him get another chance, and that's fair enough, but he's been a massive failure for the last 2 years. Even if we lacked talent at times, how can you explain the terrible defence with no moving up as a line (suicide in this day and age) and the horrible predictable attack plan with 0 variation.

He persisted with a failing squad rather than doing anything about it. He didn't realise it when we scraped into the finals, he realised it when the people upstairs said we are fucked.

Don't waste your breath mate

Your argument has zero substances, you're backing a coach who failed 2 years in a row, he continued on with the same formula for 46 rounds and 1 final before he realised how shit his squad was? Oh wait he bought in Scott Prince and moved norman back to fullback, what insight he has!

Discipline, commitment, organization, pride ... and fitness fitness fitness

No excuses over 2 years of having the chance.

The squad - irrespective of positional switching, was always good enough to have done so much better than it did.

Your argument has zero substances, you're backing a coach who failed 2 years in a row, he continued on with the same formula for 46 rounds and 1 final before he realised how shit his squad was? Oh wait he bought in Scott Prince and moved norman back to fullback, what insight he has!

There is no point discussing anything to do with this with you as you are so closed minded about this there is no point.

I don't like griffin and mainly cos I think he is too buddy buddy with the players and I will be surprised if he is our coach past next year, but I am keen to see how he goes with an improved roster next year.

You can push your agenda as much as you like but the fact remains our squad this year was puss. We had arguably the worst spine in the comp and I am including parramatta.

Yes griffin made a lot of mistakes but there is no point sacking him now as there are no better options available currently.

As for getting your head down because we didn't sign McGuire, I really don't see how signing a coach that has failed to get one of the best rosters in the comp into the GF would be solving anything

He persisted with a failing squad rather than doing anything about it. He didn't realise it when we scraped into the finals, he realised it when the people upstairs said we are fucked.

Its all good to want to drop players due to performances ... but you need to have guys in the lower grades that would do a better job. we didn't this season. partly due to the injuries we had this year.

When your NRL squad is not performing, that is when the lower grade players need to DEMAND selection through their performances in the QLD Cup/Under 20s. Our lower grade players didn't do this, if their not performing well in the far lower standard QLD Cup, what makes anyone think they will be able to perform in the toughest rugby league competition in the world. It is no good throwing your young guys to the wolves if they're not ready ... all that does is destroy their confidence and set back their development (sometimes they don't even recover from it).

This is my take on Griffin and Gee currently:

He realised that we were unfit this year --- so he sacks fitness coach (a friend of his BTW) and hires one of the most respected fitness coaches in the league from one of the fittest teams in the league.

Realised we lacked depth this year in certain positions --- signs players to provide that depth (remember with the salary cap not every player can be an Inglis, or a Thurston)

Realised we were at least one prop short thris year (hence the need to play Thaiday at prop for much of the season) --- signs another prop (Kennedy) who is beingf talked about as a future QLD SOO rep

Realised we lacked a bit of spark and x-factor --- Signs Barba, who could have just as easily gone to the Titans where his brother was playing at the time. (he tried to get that x-factor out of Norman this year, but the guy wanted to sulk and play with no heart)

Realised our development was falling behind where it should be --- signs a very good talent scout/development officer (in Brian Edwards), who scouted guys like Milford and Papalli for the Raiders

Realises Peter Wallace can't lead the side as hope in the post Lockyer era --- tells him to find another club (in the process making Fourex the happiest man alive)

All of these move indicate to me that he is heading in the right direction, and IMO he deserves at least the start of 2014 to see these changes through and see if things improve. if the do great if they don't then he will be out of a job.

FTR, i still agree with him that the Prince signing at the price we were able to get him for was worth the gamble.

also while you seem to want to compare Griffin to guys like McGuire and Robinson lets do that.

since Robinson and <cGuire are both in their first seasons as an NRL coach, we have to compare it to Griffins first year as an NRL Coach.

Griffin --- Prelim Final
McGuire --- Prelim Final
Robinson --- GF winner

Last edited:
Discipline, commitment, organization, pride ... and fitness fitness fitness

No excuses over 2 years of having the chance.

The squad - irrespective of positional switching, was always good enough to have done so much better than it did.

Was it though?

Our spine was dead set awful, I can't think of one team that had a worse spine than us.

We had 2 fullbacks, one ended the year in the q cup, the other had to have our centre take over once we were in the attacking zone.

Both our halves got told to GTFO and while I personally rate our hooker a lot higher than most on here, most people want him replaced by just about every other option bar Matt Keating.

You can't have it both ways people

Last edited:
Its all good to want to drop players due to performances ... but you need to have guys in the lower grades that would do a better job. we didn't this season. partly due to the injuries we had this year.

When your NRL squad is not performing, that is when the lower grade players need to DEMAND selection through their performances in the QLD Cup/Under 20s. Our lower grade players didn't do this, if their not performing well in the far lower standard QLD Cup, what makes anyone think they will be able to perform in the toughest rugby league competition in the world. It is no good throwing your young guys to the wolves if they're not ready ... all that does is destroy their confidence and set back their development (sometimes they don't even recover from it).

This is my take on Griffin and Gee currently:

He realised that we were unfit this year --- so he sacks fitness coach (a friend of his BTW) and hires one of the most respected fitness coaches in the league from one of the fittest teams in the league.

Realised we lacked depth this year in certain positions --- signs players to provide that depth (remember with the salary cap not every player can be an Inglis, or a Thurston)

Realised we were at least one prop short thris year (hence the need to play Thaiday at prop for much of the season) --- signs another prop (Kennedy) who is beingf talked about as a future QLD SOO rep

Realised we lacked a bit of spark and x-factor --- Signs Barba, who could have just as easily gone to the Titans where his brother was playing at the time. (he tried to get that x-factor out of Norman this year, but the guy wanted to sulk and play with no heart)

Realised our development was falling behind where it should be --- signs a very good talent scout/development officer (in Brian Edwards), who scouted guys like Milford and Papalli for the Raiders

Realises Peter Wallace can't lead the side as hope in the post Lockyer era --- tells him to find another club (in the process making Fourex the happiest man alive)

All of these move indicate to me that he is heading in the right direction, and IMO he deserves at least the start of 2014 to see these changes through and see if things improve. if the do great if they don't then he will be out of a job.

FTR, i still agree with him that the Prince signing at the price we were able to get him for was worth the gamble.

also while you seem to want to compare Griffin to guys like McGuire and Robinson lets do that.

since Robinson and <cGuire are both in their first seasons as an NRL coach, we have to compare it to Griffins first year as an NRL Coach.

Griffin --- Prelim Final
McGuire --- Prelim Final
Robinson --- GF winner

Is it possible to double like this post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Redux
  • RolledOates
  • Browny
  • sooticus
  • ivanhungryjak
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dexter
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky’s Left Boot
  • broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • Redfern_1980
  • Cavalo
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Old Mate
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.