Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that he is a club legend should mean jack **** in who should be coach of the Broncos ... look what happened with the Roosters and Fittler of the Lions and Voss and many other greats who went on to coach the clubs that made them greats.

I'm not saying Walters can't be a good coach, but if the major thing that he has going for him is that he is a a Broncos legend ... then he is the wrong coach of the Broncos

I disagree, i think he would be a perfect fit and he is def worth the risk.

For all the petty reasons to dislike Griffin, his conduct in press conferences shouldn't be one of them. It's clear that coaches are more concerned with PR than airing their dirty laundry out in the open.

Don't like Griffin's coaching style? Don't like our results? Fine and absolutely understandable...getting your undies in a bunch over press conferences is a waste of time.

As for Walters - lot of people pointed out his stint in Les Catalans. It was clear they were a club on the rise and even acquired better players on his watch (eg. Greg Bird, Jason Ryles etc.) but they limped their way through the finals one year and were never in it the year after.

If you wanted to get rid of Griffin, why would you turn around and sign another NRL rookie coach? It makes no sense.

Last edited:
I disagree, i think he would be a perfect fit and he is def worth the risk.

don't get me wrong ... i', not for one second saying he isn't worth the risk.

what i am saying is that the next coach of the Broncos needs to have more going for him that just being a club legend, otherwise we will be in the same situation and having the same discussion in 2 years time.

Last edited:
If you wanted to get rid of Griffin, why would you turn around and sign another NRL rookie coach? It makes no sense.

I wouldn't go that far particularly if your trying to justify you should keep Griffin for the sake of it who for the past two season's has given no indication we would have been worse under a rookie NRL coach. 1 good season with Lockyer doesn't justify 2 dismal seasons, I don't like the mindset that because there's risk in a rookie, we should just stick with what we got. I also don't subscribe to the view that an experienced NRL coach will necessarily deliver the results, I've been watching League since the late 80's, seen experienced coaches come and go from clubs, have success at one club, dismal results at another, Tim Sheens is a good example of that.

Don't get me wrong Big Pete, I'm not against signing someone with real experience as a head coach, infact that would be great, provided its the right person for the job.

Last edited:
If you're going to replace the coach, you may as well bring in somebody who will evoke confidence.

A rookie coach who doesn't exactly have a great track record isn't a smart move. Just seems like change for the sake of it.

If you're going to replace the coach, you may as well bring in somebody who will evoke confidence.

A rookie coach who doesn't exactly have a great track record isn't a smart move. Just seems like change for the sake of it.

That line of thinking I can agree with but there aren't that many on the market looking to make a move, however that doesn't mean someone like Walters couldn't contribute to our coaching roster, nor does it mean we should settle for crap just for the sake of it till someone does.

Our last two coaches have actually been rookies too. Not a good track record.

Agree, time is running out for Hook and while the club has made positive moves it remains to be seen whether it will make any difference. It truly is make or break time and within the next 12 months, White is going to have more options to choose from.

I don't think there are any objections to assigning Kevvie an assistant role. However, if he was thrusted into the head coach role it would just lead to mixed reactions and deservedly so.

I wouldn't mind something like

Griffin - Head Coach, works on defence
Walters - Assistant Coach, works on attack
Kearney - Keeps on wearing a suit

Agree, time is running out for Hook and while the club has made positive moves it remains to be seen whether it will make any difference. It truly is make or break time and within the next 12 months, White is going to have more options to choose from.

I don't think there are any objections to assigning Kevvie an assistant role. However, if he was thrusted into the head coach role it would just lead to mixed reactions and deservedly so.

Fair enough, tbh I'm not outright suggesting Walters or another should be instantly thrust into the head coach position for next season and realistically Griffin is there next season even if we like it or not, I just don't think his position should be safe just because theres a bit of risk in taking a rookie coach if it was necessary.

I wouldn't mind something like

Griffin - Head Coach, works on defence
Walters - Assistant Coach, works on attack
Kearney - Keeps on wearing a suit

Thats got merit, perhaps Kearney could be the waterboy?

I don't think Griffins position is safe.
Results will determine his fate next season. I really hope he can turn it around and prove us wrong but I am not confident. His position could hang on Smiths signing as Smith has been quoted as having a. Lot of respect for Griffin

I think people are getting too caught up in the rookie tag line.

One thing to be a rookie like Michael Maguire and Trent Robinson with a good record, another to be like Steve Price.

I'm concerned fans are getting caught up in the sentimentality of a former great player coaching us.

Last edited:
I think people are getting too caught up in the rookie tag line.

One thing to be a rookie like Michael Maguire and Trent Robinson with a good record, another to be like Steve Price.

I'm concerned fans are getting caught up in the sentimentality of a former great player coaching us.

You can't compare those two to steve price tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • broncos4life
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • maddo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • GCBRONCO
  • Robboi_321
  • Bucking Beads
  • theshed
  • Lurker
  • Culhwch
  • Jazza
  • ettybay
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.