Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I don't think I really want a Bellamy or a Bennett clone unless it's Bellamy or Bennett.

KnToad

KnToad

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2013
I'm starting to wake up on a Saturday and Sunday morning and check the news in the hope I will read a great big headline that says something like
"Brisbane Broncos sack Anthony Griffin"

effective immediately please....

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
quick question ... what has Kevin Walters done in his coaching career that makes him an automatic selection to replace Griffin.

Yes ... he is a Broncos legend, but that doesn't necessarily mean he will be a great coach for us.

I personally would be disappointed in the board if they limited the scope of the new coach hunt to Kevin Walters, i want them to search the rugby league universe to find the best coach, we can get. IMO, we deserve the best. If that turns out to be Walters so be it, but there may be someone better out there. maybe even someone we have never heard of.

If you can name someone better, who's currently available, please do.

austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
Bennett coaching director.

Kevie head coach.
Have no doubt Walters would bring new ideas and a fresh approach with new game plans. He seems like he would be a smarter coach then Griifin as he has a good read on the game. Just my opinion.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Surely Walters is the best choice. Whether he will work out is another story. He has to be the best candidate available. He has worked under both Bennett & Bellamy and I think he has also been Meninga's assistant. I don't think there are any other coaches out there who have a similar cv.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
His use of the bench was completely amateur tonight and the treatment of Kennedy who was imo our best player in the first 20 minutes was just odd

I assumed Kennedy was injured ......he made 21 tackles in 20 min when the Cowboys had all the ball and were giving it to us.

I'm not sure what Kennedy did that was that bad that Griffin felt so pissed off that he sat him out for the rest of the game.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
If you can name someone better, who's currently available, please do.

I want the club to do a thorough search of potential coaches ... not just pick the first guy that seems available. thats partly how we got into this situation in the first place.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
I assumed Kennedy was injured ......he made 21 tackles in 20 min when the Cowboys had all the ball and were giving it to us.

I'm not sure what Kennedy did that was that bad that Griffin felt so ****ed off that he sat him out for the rest of the game.

We all assumed that Kennedy was injured, because hooking him and not returning him to the field when the opponents forward pack are rampaging through us and we're down a prop already through injury makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, on top of dropping an international prop only days earlier, for yet another BS and logic defying reason.

Yet Kennedy isn't injured and so all we have is yet another senseless, logic-defying decision from a useless prick not obviously not up to the job.

Paul White says it's all good though. Nothing wrong at all apparently...

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
We all assumed that Kennedy was injured, because hooking him and not returning him to the field when the opponents forward pack are rampaging through us and we're down a prop already through injury makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, on top of dropping an international prop only days earlier, for yet another BS and logic defying reason.

Yet Kennedy isn't injured and so all we have is yet another senseless, logic-defying decision from a useless prick not obviously not up to the job.

Paul White says it's all good though. Nothing wrong at all apparently...

same thine every CEO always says before the board decide to sack a coach...

how many times have we heard that a coach has the full support of the board only for him to be sacked within a week.

Unless things improve quickly, i think we will see Hook sacked before the season's end.

In fact, the board are probably already looking at their options ... just doing it quietly.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
In case dropping Hannant when we needed him the most wasn't enough, folks:

"The Ben Hannant saga took a fresh twist when it emerged Kennedy earned the ire of Griffin in the Broncos’ 27-14 loss to the Cowboys. Griffin had gambled by axing Hannant from his squad for the derby — and the calculated risk involved Kennedy stepping up after the coach kept faith in his starting prop. But the selection axe is now hovering over $1 million recruit Kennedy, who was hauled from the field by Griffin midway through the first half after Brisbane fell behind 14-0.
Kennedy was almost non-existent, making three runs for 30m before being benched after 19 minutes. At the same point of the match, Cowboys front-row rival Matt Scott had amassed 103m and scored a try. Kennedy, who was busy in defence with 21 tackles, did not return for the second half.

It was initially suspected he had suffered an injury, but The Sunday Mail has learned Griffin kept him on the bench after his latest below-par effort."

Error Page

The Cowboys were monstering us in that first 20 minutes, what was Kennedy meant to do? Looked to me like he was playing with a bit more fire than he has so far all season.

Then we lose Hala, and Griff still keeps Kennedy on the bench.

We lost with 15 1/2 men, guys.

UNFORGIVABLE!! HOOK MUST GO!!!

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
So he wasn't injured or anything, pretty unforgivable.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
It wouldn't be the first time a coach has hooked a player for performance during a game, and wont be that last.

besides, the way Kennedy has been playing, it is really no different to playing with a man down anyway

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I've certainly been a supporter of Griffin until he picked Hoffman at five-eighth, I've still wanted to believe in him but dropping our best prop in the last month who is very popular with the fans for no clearly articulated reason has done Hook no favours at all. Then keeping faith in Kennedy only to pull him after twenty minutes and the obvious inability to learn from his mistakes or use a bench, plus the boring no mistake footy brand which doesn't work anyway as we still drop everything he has us playing and the insistence on picking hopelessly underperforming favourites in Reed, Glenn and Hoffman out of position has me walking around kicking everything after every game. You've lost even your most willing supporters Griff my man.

Here is an interesting concept, the Walker bros to share coaching the Broncs and u20s. Haha

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
He's completely lost the plot. If he took Kennedy off for that, why didn't he hook Wallace back in late 2012 when he was doing far more harm than good on the field? I think we can all agree that he's objectively a bad coach and there's no way he'll ever come good because he'll need a complete personality transplant.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
That is just extraordinary. Griffin is trying too hard to paint himself as a no bullshit coach when he clearly has no clue what that even entails.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I want the club to do a thorough search of potential coaches ... not just pick the first guy that seems available. thats partly how we got into this situation in the first place.

What makes you think that they wouldn't? I was only speculating that Walters is probably at the top of the list, but in reality, they're going to explore all options, I don't think they're stupid enough to just pick a new head coach without even considering all options.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
He's completely lost the plot. If he took Kennedy off for that, why didn't he hook Wallace back in late 2012 when he was doing far more harm than good on the field? I think we can all agree that he's objectively a bad coach and there's no way he'll ever come good because he'll need a complete personality transplant.

I dont really agree with attacking a bloke's personality just because he seems incompetent at his job, though your point about his objectivity is completely valid. The Hannant decision smacks of a guy who just seems to be clutching at straws to get his team going again and that is just not good enough.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
It wouldn't be the first time a coach has hooked a player for performance during a game, and wont be that last.

besides, the way Kennedy has been playing, it is really no different to playing with a man down anyway

21 tackles in 19 minutes of football when the Cowboys had most of the possession, also managed 3 hit-ups for 30m.....not too shabby if you ask me. Certainly seemed to be playing with more intensity than I've seen from him all year. Hook obviously saw something he didn't like though and that's fine. However, when you lose a player to concussion and he is ruled out for the remainder of the game you can't just leave a player on the bench. Especially one who's been belted by the media for being a cream puff and has a point to prove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• The Boss
  • theshed
  • Dee
  • ChewThePhatt
  • EdwardyoNuh
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • Kev_Guz
  • Waynesaurus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.