Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
GriffinBall is BennetBall. Take out the superstars this side has had for the last umpteen years and what do you have? A team which plays pedestrian football.

I don't want Bennett back within cooee of the Broncos

so you don't want one of the most powerful & influential figures in RL at the Broncos ?

fair enough, because the current status quo is clearly commanding respect, kicking ass and taking numbers ...

You put Lockyer in this side - even now I reckon, and he would single handedly transform it. That's what this team needs.

Locky pulling the official line on the panel tonight. He said the board is happy with how the squad is going. He's learning the craft of public spin pretty well.

TBH it's what I would expect from anyone involved in a club to say, they aren't going to go out and say his crap and needs to go. It's no different to current players in a newspaper tipping, your not going to see them tip against their side....

Last edited:
Locky pulling the official line on the panel tonight. He said the board is happy with how the squad is going. He's learning the craft of public spin pretty well.

IMO darren looked pretty uncomfortable talking about it. Good thing was he didn't deny that we would be interested.

Re: Round 11 - West Tigers vs Broncos - Pre-Match Discussion

I wish Griffin would take a few risks on some of our younger players the way Mick Potter has. Admittedly, injuries have forced his hand on a couple of occassions but the Tigers seem to be able to recognise talent and give it a go, warts and all. Yes, they'll make mistakes but I get the feeling it is more about giving some promising talent a taste of first grade and allow them to take their game to the next level. It seems to be paying dividends for them now they are sitting in the top 8. A world away from where they were last season.

Bennett as a coaching director is an inevitability and a positive step since he does have so much power and knowledge.

I don't necessarily want him as a coach.

I actually like the path we're on and don't think Bennett will improve it with all these moving pieces at play. I kind of get the feeling that if Benny comes up here, he'll bring a few players he likes over at Newcastle with him and there aren't many on their roster I want and especially not Boyd. I also think there will be a few staff changes - a couple would be most certainly welcome, but I'm happy with our fitness for the time being.

Bennett had his questionable favourites over the years too.

Echo your sentiments Pete, would love him back but not as head coach and certainly don't want any Newcastle nuffies to come back with him.

I agree with the sentiment that Hook should have shown more faith in the young players but you might be giving Potter too much credit.

Both coaches inherited their teams at different stages. The Broncos already went through their rebuilding phase (which Hook had a huge part in) while the Tigers were basically a rabble by the time Potter took over and had to start replacing players.

Yeah, he blooded 10 players last year (now 11 with Rowe) but of those players, who has really made something of themselves and look set for a big future? I'd say three Brooks, Nofoaluma and Sue which is hardly surprising given they came from their successful NYC side and were necessary in some cases given the Tigers required a replacement for both Tuqiri/Utai, Marshall and their weakened pack.

His recruitment has shown promise in Richards, Thompson, Tapau, Gavet etc. but there's been duds there too (Lulia, Peterson, Pettybourne) and he's playing a few stop gaps of his own (eg. Anasta).

It really doesn't have a whole lot to do with anything really, but I can't agree that he's doing a stellar job with blooding players - reasonable but hardly better than risking it on players like Hunt and giving Oates, Wallace & Kahu a shot.

It really doesn't have a whole lot to do with anything really, but I can't agree that he's doing a stellar job with blooding players - reasonable but hardly better than risking it on players like Hunt and giving Oates, Wallace & Kahu a shot.

I agree with most of what you said Pete, but there is no way in the world Griffin has ever risked a damn thing on Ben Hunt. He avoided him at all costs, playing Norman, Wallace and Prince there. Only after the club's recruitment was so bad that we literally had nothing else in the pantry did Griffin but Hunt in the halves position. Sure, his future might largely rest in the hands of Hunt, but it's not at all by design and I can't say at all a decision that Griffin willing or wanted to make.

Griffin could have easily kept Wallace around another year given he was still signed here till this season but decided to move him on in favour of Hunt.

Really not that different from Brooks and Marshall in that regard.

Not arguing it was pristine or anything, but he definitely rolled the dice with Hunt this season.

I think having Bennett back would be a good thing for the club.

He'll command a bit more respect around the place and will draw in talent a lot better than old Griffin would.

Walters would have to be coach though, with Bennett overseeing structures/rosters etc.

Put it this way, we couldn't be any worse off than we are now could we ??

Like a few others, I'd only want him back in a non head coach role.

Walters surely would've learned a thing or two in his time under Bennett and Bellamy ??

Why not let him have a crack at the top job, with Wayne in the background giving him a guiding hand.

Because you can make the exact same point about Kearney.

Imagine the player contract talks that are being put on hold now as a result of this coaching dilema ?

MMM Deadset legends radio show proclaimed they had spoken to 1 current SOO player who said his next contract was up in the air until the Broncos coaching position was sorted.

Wonder who it was ??

Imagine the player contract talks that are being put on hold now as a result of this coaching dilema ?

MMM Deadset legends radio show proclaimed they had spoken to 1 current SOO player who said his next contract was up in the air until the Broncos coaching position was sorted.

Wonder who it was ??

Paul Gallen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Old Mate
  • Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • Turks85
  • broncs30
  • BroncoFan94
  • vertigo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Behind enemy lines
  • HarryAllan7
  • Nerd
  • Mustafur
  • Donald Garner
  • Justwin
  • bert_lifts
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosMan
... and 69 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.