Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
yeahhh it's shit but hey, at least this year we've been desensitised a bit.
clearly not enough though, i let out a howl of noooooo! when that ball was intercepted, I knew that'd be the game (apart from that fleeting chance from the mateo knock on).

Last edited:
noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
oh 100%. we should of won that 28-12. you give us hoffy's try that got called back, and we probably score another try after that as they probably would of given up. and we were right on top. we probably could of been better ourselves at getting over the line. we should of scored when hurrell scored. its just hte way the season has gone. that one moment basically summed the season up for me.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Someone with a david middleton-esque mind, remind me.

This isn't the first time this season we've been on the up and Prince has thrown and intercept and turned the tide in one play, is it? I seem to remember another game this season where it was decided by an intercept from a horrible pass by Prince.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure this has happened earlier in the season.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
The fact we were on top was the source of my frustration with kicking early. There was a loud NO from my place as well. I had a feeling that they would score and beat us but just not the way it happened
To me, we just kept kicking it away when we were dominating them in attack in that second half. I am sure everybody could see we were on top.
Anyway i have had my say and am feeling much better now

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
yeahhh it's **** but hey, at least this year we've been desensitised a bit.
clearly not enough though, i let out a howl of noooooo! when that ball was intercepted, I knew that'd be the game (apart from that fleeting chance from the mateo knock on).
Don't believe you here. If we were desensitised how come i am still worked up about losing.:sad:

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
We did actually kick a fair bit on the 3rd and 4th, even my partner noticed it and she's not the most astute football mind. It was good play, we surprised them and kept them on the back foot for a decent chunk of time.

Splinter, can you please explain how it is negative play? Personally it is less negative than running 5 one outs and a kick on the last down the throat of the waiting winger/fullback for a couple of reasons:

1) it's a display of confidence by the team kicking the ball (we think we're good enough to hold you out)
2) it keeps the opposition on their toes because we aren't predictable
3) it allows us to pin them down in their own end, giving us more space, time and tackles in their own end to score.
4) It's a lot harder running it off your own 10m line then off your 40m.

Can you list reasons as to why it's negative play? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious as to your reasoning because you seem very persistent on it being a negative tactic.
It also gave Prince and mainly Wallace, more time to execute, as there wasn't as much pressure from a rushing defender. Besides it also served the purpose of tiring the big NZ forwards, who weren't getting any recovery time.
We still had the majority of the attacking chances and were always closer to extend the lead than the Warriors getting back, which is also why that intercept was so cruel and unfair...

Excellent game plan if you ask me!

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Are you sold on Griffin?

Still unsure tbh, Vertigo. 2011 was a good year but how much credit do we give Lockyer's influence? We seemed a lot fitter back then as well which I put down to Ivan's pre-season. With Griffin on his own, our results and performances aren't great reading. I guess I'll wait till the end of the year and make an assessment. Vertigo, do you think Griffin will see out his contract?

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Someone with a david middleton-esque mind, remind me.

This isn't the first time this season we've been on the up and Prince has thrown and intercept and turned the tide in one play, is it? I seem to remember another game this season where it was decided by an intercept from a horrible pass by Prince.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure this has happened earlier in the season.

It did, but I think that time it was a grubber from Prince.

I think.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
It did, but I think that time it was a grubber from Prince.

I think.

Your right. It was a grabber from prince against souths that GI piced up and ran the length of the field

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Still unsure tbh, Vertigo. 2011 was a good year but how much credit do we give Lockyer's influence? We seemed a lot fitter back then as well which I put down to Ivan's pre-season. With Griffin on his own, our results and performances aren't great reading. I guess I'll wait till the end of the year and make an assessment. Vertigo, do you think Griffin will see out his contract?

Everything was rosy in 2011, plenty of praise for White and Griffin and the new regime, oh how the worm has turned :sleep:

Lockyer was playing really well in his retirement year, running the ball more than I can remember and everyone felt obliged to send him out with a premiership so the motivation was certainly there.

White said Griffin's job is performance based so if he is fair dinkum there's no way he'll be here in 2015 (end of his current contract).

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Everything was rosy in 2011, plenty of praise for White and Griffin and the new regime, oh how the worm has turned :sleep:

Lockyer was playing really well in his retirement year, running the ball more than I can remember and everyone felt obliged to send him out with a premiership so the motivation was certainly there.

White said Griffin's job is performance based so if he is fair dinkum there's no way he'll be here in 2015 (end of his current contract).

I think a lot will depend on if we make the finals. Were you a fan of Henjack, vertigo? His coaching career seemed to be a lot like Griffin's. An excellent first season and a below par one the next. Ivan also had Locky out injured a lot in 2010, Folau who looked really disinterested by the end of it and no Hodges for the entire season.

A sidenote: I also wonder sometimes if we would've even made the finals last year without Hodges.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
To be honest I really liked Griffin from his initial appointment but the statistics for win/losses over the last two seasons are to say the least............ rather poor (39 matches/19 wins, eeeeeeeeek).

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Were you a fan of Henjack, vertigo?

The slump in 09 was horrible, losing 56-0 in Canberra I couldn't believe it. They kept panning to Henjak and boy was he taking it hard cause every try we let in he looked like someone was twisting a knife into him. I remember he left the coaches box to watch it in the stands then went down to the sheds 5 mins before the game ended - I can't even imagine the spray he gave them because we ended up winning the next 7 straight.

Lockyer's book sums Henjak up pretty well, he was a good tactician but didn't have the temperament to manage the players and ended up losing the playing group in 2010. I liken this year to 2010, it has the exact same feel to it where we just fade in and out of games - lose games we should win, play well against top sides then capitulate then the odd win where people get their hopes up..

I was counting down our last 10 games that year hoping we would make the finals, couldn't give a stuff this year cause it'll end up the same way.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I don't have the same feeling as with Henjak though. It doesn't seem like the players have lost their faith in Hook (no pun intended), at least not yet.
We capitulated too easy under Ivan, while this season we are struggling to find consistency not only between games, but during the 80 mins.

I do have hoop we turned a corner in NZ though. We competed well for the 80 minutes and deserved the win.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
If you could combine Henjak's knowledge of attack and Griffin's, uh, likeability I guess...you'd have a halfway decent coach. But then you'd still need another half to have a full decent coach. Probably a half that can pick and use benches properly.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Anyone heard from FaithinHook lately?

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Anyone heard from FaithinHook lately?

Didn't he say he would leave if the result on Sunday went against us. I think that's a bit harsh tbh. I would like to hear his take on the Warriors game. He was one of the few who predicted a Brisbane win and we went very close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • MasterWright
  • phoenix
  • Astro
  • Porthoz
  • Santa
  • FACTHUNT
  • Behold
  • Xzei
  • Kev_Guz
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.