Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't he say he would leave if the result on Sunday went against us. I think that's a bit harsh tbh. I would like to hear his take on the Warriors game. He was one of the few who predicted a Brisbane win and we went very close.

Yes. I would have found his take on the game most intriguing. Maybe he will pop up when we beat the Storm

The slump in 09 was horrible, losing 56-0 in Canberra I couldn't believe it. They kept panning to Henjak and boy was he taking it hard cause every try we let in he looked like someone was twisting a knife into him. I remember he left the coaches box to watch it in the stands then went down to the sheds 5 mins before the game ended - I can't even imagine the spray he gave them because we ended up winning the next 7 straight.

Lockyer's book sums Henjak up pretty well, he was a good tactician but didn't have the temperament to manage the players and ended up losing the playing group in 2010. I liken this year to 2010, it has the exact same feel to it where we just fade in and out of games - lose games we should win, play well against top sides then capitulate then the odd win where people get their hopes up..

I was counting down our last 10 games that year hoping we would make the finals, couldn't give a stuff this year cause it'll end up the same way.

interesting post, vertigo. I'm amazed at the stuff I'd forgotten. For example, I thought the Canberra game was in 2010. Did we cop a flogging by the Raiders as well that year? It seems that what Henjack had in spades, Griffin has none of and vice versa.

I'm fascinated by the notion of player support. I guess every team needs some input from the players (either directly or through the captain) but I wonder where the line is drawn. At the end of the day, they're hired to play footy not assess coaches. It's fascinating stuff. A lot of the players publicly have declared for Griffin and swear by him. I wonder what his man management skills are like. The cynic in me thinks its because he has persevered with some players who consistently turn in below par performances when he probably should've given others in the Qcup a go. Sticking by out of form players is well and good but they must have some runs on the board, I think.

I completely agree about fading in and out of games. It's amazing and frustrating that we can be so hot and cold and it's not just week to week. We struggle half to half, minute by minute, even play by play. I wonder what Griffin makes of it. At the start of the year he praised our defence but that has been brittle for months. I'm still not convinced its fixed as the Tigers didn't throw a lot at us and the Warriors scored one or two soft ones. Melbourne will be a better test.

Great post again, vertigo. I love reading your comments on any topic here. You seem to have a vivid memory of each year and make some insightful observations. Keep 'em coming!

Glenn's come out in the media and admitted the team was fractured into 'cliques' earlier in the season - just confirming what was blatantly obvious really. He also said, however, that they're working as a team again - which I think showed on the weekend and hopefully, will show again on Friday night...

I'm fascinated by the notion of player support. I guess every team needs some input from the players (either directly or through the captain) but I wonder where the line is drawn. At the end of the day, they're hired to play footy not assess coaches. It's fascinating stuff.

Players have a fair bit of control, here's two examples going both ways.

Dumped Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens says he was disappointed by treatment from senior players | Rugby League, NRL Scores, NRL Ladder | Fox Sports

Penrith Panthers players unhappy stand-in coach Steve Georgallis overlooked for top job | Other Sports | Fox Sports

Petero was so pissed off at what was going on at the Panthers it opened the door for us to sign him.

Last edited:

Interesting comments from both Sheens and Bellamy. It's one of the reasons I hope we don't pick Benji up. According to reports, he is not getting on with Mick Potter either. He probably needs to look at what he's bringing to the table. On the surface, if a player doesn't see eye to eye with two different coaches, the fault might lay with the player.

With the panthers, I lean towards supporting Gould's decision. Ivan Cleary is a quality coach and Georgalis was too much of a gamble. I liked Steve Georgallis but the panthers were pretty inconsistent under his brief tenure. The players could've showed their support more with some strong performances on the field rather than making comments off it. It may have given the panthers board some pause. It's not unlike Nathan Brown from a couple of years ago. Every dragon and his dog was saying what a greath coach he was. The more games they lost the more they praised him.

. It's not unlike Nathan Brown from a couple of years ago. Every dragon and his dog was saying what a greath coach he was. The more games they lost the more they praised him.

It must've been a real slap in the face when he got the boot.

http://www.troll.me/images/the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world/please-sir-get-the-****-out.jpg

Glenn's come out in the media and admitted the team was fractured into 'cliques' earlier in the season - just confirming what was blatantly obvious really. He also said, however, that they're working as a team again - which I think showed on the weekend and hopefully, will show again on Friday night...
Or not.

ok the attitude needed fixing and we got that, in some regards, but its clear that its not going to be enough. if there was any chance of us building confidence to make a run to the finals it is evaporated now. we did the team bonding, the unity sessions. the stuff that gets wins. and then we play a game and a bit of 'effort' footy and we still come up a mile and a half short. in fact we come up 32 nil short in the second game. i dont care that they are melbourne, the storm were not that good tonight.

we need personnel changes

The evidence to support Griffins sacking is piling up one game after another.

Does anyone have Kevin Walters' phone number?

If we don't sack him, it underlines our ambition as a club. I don't really remember what it was like when Bennett was under pressure in the early 90's, but I'm sure we weren't playing this fucking uninspiring.

Sorry Hook but 2013 will be your last. 11 from 32 really reflects your coaching especially in attack. Bring back Bennett what ever it takes and give Kevvvie assist to groom for the future. :thumbup1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Yellowfella
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.