Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
I think we're all going to have to sit tight on this one and wait until Griffin is given a shot with an improved roster, because that seems to be the thinking from the higher ups ... When the new-look side is bogged down in 'griffin-ball' quick sand and going nowhere by the end of April next year, his time will be up.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Last season, Norman was derping it up at 5/8, not fullback...

I was part of the clan calling for him to be moved to fullback, where I expected/hoped his talent and ball playing skills would make up for the lack of urgency, if he could chose the time to inject himself in the play, instead of being constantly involved. Also hoped that would make up for his defensive flaws... :001_rolleyes:

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Last season, Norman was derping it up at 5/8, not fullback...

I was part of the clan calling for him to be moved to fullback, where I expected/hoped his talent and ball playing skills would make up for the lack of urgency, if he could chose the time to inject himself in the play, instead of being constantly involved. Also hoped that would make up for his defensive flaws... :001_rolleyes:

And there lies the problem with Norman, people talked about his running game being his real asset but he struggled under pressure from the opposition in decision making, particularly once he made a linebreak he often found ways to be shut down, I had hoped with more room to work with and more ability to be selective in when he injects himself into the attack he could overcome those flaws but really he hasn't, too often when an overlap is created he shows a real lack of ability to utilise outside players and the opposition have learnt that its easier just to stay on Norman because chances are his going to be the one with the ball in that situation. Combine that with his obvious flaws as a fullback in all the other areas and there's no real strong case for him to be playing in first grade particularly with him going to the Eels.

On another note I've defended Wallace a lot in the pass, but quite frankly his got to go as well if his not playing in the halves(and quite frankly he shouldn't be there anyway), if we really must have someone off the bench as a replacement for McCollough why not give someone who can maintain or up the tempo for us from dummy half and also someone who could gain from the experience, I'd much rather see Granville or Baptiste given a go in that instance.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
One thing I noticed with Norman (see other thread on "conditioning") is his increase in size, and the corresponding loss of speed, particularly off the mark.

He looks like he has been turned into a ball playing back rower, not a back. I almost feel sorry for him being put at FB. He must know his lack of pace is a serious liability for a FB

As for Wally, as a few others have observed, he needs a different team structure and game plan to shine, which focuses on his strengths and not exploits his weaknesses - like his slowness of the mark and poor acceleration, which our flat attacking structure imposes on him (and our back rowers), as well as Hook's reluctance so far to make passing the ball the central feature of our game, rather than bash, barge, kick or the stock 2nd man play.

I am sure that even DCE would struggle playing in this Broncos team, coached ass (sic) it is

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I'm not sure there is such a thing as a game plan that explores laziness and lack of vision... :001_rolleyes:

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I'm not sure there is such a thing as a game plan that explores laziness and lack of vision... :001_rolleyes:

Actually there is: ours

Witness our super quick passing, creative short passes with decoys, flat flat flat attacking structure.

There's no room even if no place for speed in our game plan

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
It doesn't explore it, it exacerbates it!

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
One thing I noticed with Norman (see other thread on "conditioning") is his increase in size, and the corresponding loss of speed, particularly off the mark.

I noticed that as well, rnabokov. Your post reminded me of an article I read in which Scott Prince (I think it was him) was told to bulk up in the pre-season.

Hypothetically speaking, what would you guys think of Griffin if, by some miracle, we won all our remaining games? Admittedly, the chances of this happening are zero but would your views on Griffin change? I suspect a lot of the credit would go to the recent positional changes. For mine, it would be a good way to end the year knowing we have turned a corner but also frustrating as I believe if some of these decisions had been taken even just a few weeks ago it could have resulted in a different season altogether.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
I feel this is rock bottom and it will be all uphill from now. Still probably wont make the finals

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I feel this is rock bottom and it will be all uphill from now. Still probably wont make the finals

Well, there's only one way up from rock bottom. If nothing else, it will show this team's true spirit and character, and if nothing else, teach good lessons for next year.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Why does hook bench macca after he makes a good run?
I fear maranta will be first choice winger next year as he's chalked up a lot of match experience this year

Broncs1459

Broncs1459

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2012
but also frustrating as I believe if some of these decisions had been taken even just a few weeks ago it could have resulted in a different season altogether.

This is why I want to see a new coach. It makes me sick seeing the potential of this side ruined by poor selections from the coach.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Why does hook bench macca after he makes a good run?
I fear maranta will be first choice winger next year as he's chalked up a lot of match experience this year

Well you never know, his mum might make him stand in the corner a bit more

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Hunt was given a chance earlier in the season and blew it. We were absolutely massacred by the Warriors and he played a big role in that.

I think protecting Hunt from the brunt of a demanding Origin period did him the world of wonders. Now he gets to take charge at a time where the players have been told to attack at will and we're seeing the fruits of that.

Grimmiq

Grimmiq

NYC Player
Apr 3, 2013
How was the Warriors game a "blown chance" for Hunt? We were never going to win that game, we could've time travelled, taken Locky from 5-6 years ago and put him in there and we'd still be the underdogs.

It was either a full strength Warriors team, if not full, then close.

Vs a Broncos team without Hodges, Hannant, Gillett, Parker, Thaiday. We've seen the last 2 weeks that Hunt seems to retreat into his shell as soon as Wallace comes in, So we had Hunt paired with Prince, with a wannabe half playing fullback and Wallace coming on as hooker.

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I think you're spot on BP. He was given license to do whatever comes to his head, and that probably took a lot of pressure of his shoulders, allowing him to play what is in front of him. That will do him a lot of good and hopefully he'll go on to be what we're looking for.

I'm one of the doubters, as he has never been able to stamp his authority in the FG halves, but I'm certainly open minded and hoping he will demonstrate the qualities he showed in the U20's. Yesterday's first half certainly demonstrated he has the talent and vision, but he still needs to work on his consistency and organisation skills. I'm sure he'll have the rest of the season to prove himself, and if we can get a fullback weapon such as Barba or Milford, we'd be looking good.

This won't be a popular opinion, but I wish Wallace would be willing/capable to play second fiddle to Hunt, as he could be a good crutch for him, at least until a guy like Taylor or Nikorima is ready to take over. This way, we wouldn't have such a defensive liability as Prince in the side and we would still have Wallace or Parker for goal kicking duties...

Broncs1459

Broncs1459

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2012
Hunt was given a chance earlier in the season and blew it. We were absolutely massacred by the Warriors and he played a big role in that.

Why has Griffin given the likes of Norman, Wallace and Prince chance after chance after shocking performances? Why not the same loyalty for Hunt?

I think protecting Hunt from the brunt of a demanding Origin period did him the world of wonders. Now he gets to take charge at a time where the players have been told to attack at will and we're seeing the fruits of that.

I don't think Griffin was protecting Hunt at all. He was just sticking with Wallace through that period out of blind faith. I suspect that some people at the club have been in his ear about Wallace or he has very recently come to his senses. Still don't understand why he has Wallace playing off the bench FFS. Maybe in round 26 he will realise having an actual hooker on the bench works better. Baby steps though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
  • Old Mate
  • Lurker
  • Justwin
  • Sproj
  • Fatboy
  • Xzei
  • Aldo
  • Porthoz
  • mystico
  • leon.bott
  • Galah
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.