Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Broncos1459 said:
Why has Griffin given the likes of Norman, Wallace and Prince chance after chance after shocking performances? Why not the same loyalty for Hunt?

Loaded question.

First off, Hunt's performance against the Warriors was worse than any performance either three have dished up. Brisbane were flogged by 50 with Hunt being an absolute turnstyle in defence and coming up with some dreadful plays before the Warriors sniffed blood in the water.

Secondly, it was for the best long term. The Origin period was always going to be a tough period for our halves and it would not have been wise to put a fledgling young half there.

Hunt's been given a great platform and hopefully he makes the most of it.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Me thinks Ben Hunt is going to be judged with a very critical eye by "some" around here ......

Halfback is a position you need to feel comfortable in and along with that comfort, confidence in your own ability and knowing the coach is going to give you a decent crack at keeping your position in the starting team. Hunt will make mistakes, but I think the good will outweigh the bad. Knowing the axe isn't going to be over his head at the first opportunity will go a long way to seeing if he can make something of it in first grade.

I hope Griffin resists the urge to look backwards at the first sign of trouble.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I won't be one of them.

He's got a minimum of five more games to show us what he's got. It's so far so good and if he can convert his starts into full 80 minute performances then he'll be money.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I think he needs to deliver over the course of all of next year. The rest of the season could still be just a purple patch, especially considering how ordinary he's been before that. If he's up to it, it shouldn't be a problem though.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Me thinks Ben Hunt is going to be judged with a very critical eye by "some" around here ......

Halfback is a position you need to feel comfortable in and along with that comfort, confidence in your own ability and knowing the coach is going to give you a decent crack at keeping your position in the starting team. Hunt will make mistakes, but I think the good will outweigh the bad. Knowing the axe isn't going to be over his head at the first opportunity will go a long way to seeing if he can make something of it in first grade.

I hope Griffin resists the urge to look backwards at the first sign of trouble.

I am seeing 2 different sides to Hunt. First is, as Mr F said, he seems a lot more relaxed and 2nd, he looks like he is relishing the extra room and time he has at half, and exploring new options, experimenting, showing some broader vision.

The "other" Hunt looked to me to be locked into a game plan which what I still consider, uses the dummy half far too much to promote simple one-out plays.

In some perverse way, I wonder if Macca would similarly show another side to his game if he was given the 6 role (if he wants it of course).

That way, we could keep all the Granville and Baptists fans happy in one fell swoop

Last edited:
Grimmiq

Grimmiq

NYC Player
Apr 3, 2013
Hunt showed speed last night that I had no idea he had..Macca was apparently too slow for the halves..but they did take the u20s to the grandfinal together, losing in golden point when they were a man down because of a cramp at the other end of the field.

If we're dropping both Prince and Wallace next year, and our finals hope is dashed..I don't think we could lose anything for trying him out.

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Hunt showed speed last night that I had no idea he had..Macca was apparently too slow for the halves..but they did take the u20s to the grandfinal together, losing in golden point when they were a man down because of a cramp at the other end of the field.

If we're dropping both Prince and Wallace next year, and our finals hope is dashed..I don't think we could lose anything for trying him out.

Well, maybe Macca will be forced to gain some speed when he has room to move. Anyway, I doubt he is slower than Wallace and Prince

And of course then Hook could use Granville and Baptiste.

Last edited:
Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Macca did not take the U20s to the grand final as a half, he was the hooker. They changed him to hooker early in the season because he was too slow at 5/8

Last edited:
Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
How was the Warriors game a "blown chance" for Hunt? We were never going to win that game, we could've time travelled, taken Locky from 5-6 years ago and put him in there and we'd still be the underdogs.

It was either a full strength Warriors team, if not full, then close.

Vs a Broncos team without Hodges, Hannant, Gillett, Parker, Thaiday. We've seen the last 2 weeks that Hunt seems to retreat into his shell as soon as Wallace comes in, So we had Hunt paired with Prince, with a wannabe half playing fullback and Wallace coming on as hooker.

I take your point but you can still stand out in a losing team.

Grimmiq

Grimmiq

NYC Player
Apr 3, 2013
Yes, you can..but just because a player doesn't stand out in the single, completely 1 sided game, doesn't mean they should be passed over for 6 months because he "blew his chance" while the halves that have been doing sweet FA all year get their spots back.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I love the logic in another thread about Macca. You turn a 5/8 who is too slow for the halves and put him as hooker.

You play a half-hooker-half, paired with another slow 5/8, and have 2 seriously slow hookers and an equally slow wannabe half at full back but now we have a decent FB but who really is best on the wing).

Describes the logic underpinning our game plan and where we are on the ladder to a T

Last edited:
Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Yes, you can..but just because a player doesn't stand out in the single, completely 1 sided game, doesn't mean they should be passed over for 6 months because he "blew his chance" while the halves that have been doing sweet FA all year get their spots back.

Oh I agree with you there. Was responding to the "we were never going to win that game" comment. He had a chance and he didn't grab it and was, tbh, shit house. It's amazing how different a player he is when he knows he has the 7 for the remainder of the season. If only he'd been given that much faith at the start of the year....or dare I say it, last year.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It wasn't just a case of receiving one game either, Hunt had four attempts in the halves and that final performance was the worst any half put in all season. Doesn't matter if we weren't much of a chance, it was clear Hunt wasn't up to it at that point and needed to be reigned in.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I've already posted this but Kevvie has been telling people he signed on as assistant coach last week. There is a get out clause if he is offered a head coaching job so he may leave for the Cowboy's if he gets offered it. If he doesn't, he will be with us next year.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
The "other" Hunt looked to me to be locked into a game plan which what I still consider, uses the dummy half far too much to promote simple one-out plays.

Do you reckon this was a game plan specifically developed to suit Wal at half?
Now that we have someone more creative, Griffin might be able to do something different with them.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
It wasn't just a case of receiving one game either, Hunt had four attempts in the halves and that final performance was the worst any half put in all season. Doesn't matter if we weren't much of a chance, it was clear Hunt wasn't up to it at that point and needed to be reigned in.

Needed to be reigned in?

......was that his 4th game in succession at half? I don't think it was four either ......

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I've already posted this but Kevvie has been telling people he signed on as assistant coach last week. There is a get out clause if he is offered a head coaching job so he may leave for the Cowboy's if he gets offered it. If he doesn't, he will be with us next year.

I think having Walters there will be good for Hunt's game.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• sooticus
  • Rambstien
  • Totally Unr3al
  • leon.bott
  • bb_gun
  • Justwin
  • Manofoneway
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • kiwi2
  • Lostboy
  • Shane Tronc
  • Old Mate
  • FACTHUNT
  • barker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.