Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
I think having Walters there will be good for Hunt's game.......

100%. Walters, while being a great play maker himself, played for years with arguably the best play maker of all time in Allan Langer.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Needed to be reigned in?

......was that his 4th game in succession at half? I don't think it was four either ......

It's what you do when your young future halfback has an absolute dreadful game.

Parramatta, Titans, Bulldogs & Warriors

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Walters would be a fantastic pickup, he'd have to be the best assistant coach in the game or at least right up there. Here's hoping he doesn't get the Cowboys position, it'd be nice to have someone of his quality as assistant coach so Kearney can get the sack.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
It's what you do when your young future halfback has an absolute dreadful game.

Parramatta, Titans, Bulldogs & Warriors

Started on the bench in the Eels game ......

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Played 68 minutes in the halves.

It counts in my book.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I thought it might .....

I still think there's a difference between half and 5/8 .......Hunt's game is better suited to half IMO

The Warriors game shouldn't be used to hang him up by his feet. Team was pretty disjointed and I don't think it's coincidence that he doesn't shine that well when Wallace is in the side.

We're seeing the results lately of Hunt's improved performances, without Wallace.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
We're also seeing it around senior Origin players.

The Origin period was always going to be a tough time for the players and Hunt was never going to have any consistency around him. It would have been a terrible time for a young aspiring half to develop.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I still think there's a difference between half and 5/8 .......Hunt's game is better suited to half IMO
There are some exceptions, like Maloney or Sutton, but most just play left and right. Broncos are one of the teams that don't have a classic 5/8th. Hunt attacked down the right a couple of times on friday, but other than that we just play with split halves. You won't see Prince on the left or Hunt on the right too often.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Back on topic, if Griffin does go, I don't want McGuire to replace him. A lot of people on here rate him highly but his record without Inglis is a bit ordinary lately. Much like Griffin's without Lockyer.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Back on topic, if Griffin does go, I don't want McGuire to replace him. A lot of people on here rate him highly but his record without Inglis is a bit ordinary lately. Much like Griffin's without Lockyer.

Waaaay too early to be questioning his coaching ability.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Much has been made of Griffin's results without a genuine superstar player. I think a similar argument could be made for McGuire. If we fail to net any game breaking players, would he really be any better than Griffin?

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Bellamy clone coaches need a couple of genuine stars in their spine to be effective.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Prince has been told he is not required next year but has still come out and endorsed Hook today. Proves Hook has full support from his players
Says he challenges them individually every week and keeps things interesting

Last edited:
Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Griffin coached teams historically play their best football late in the season which is one of the reasons for his high success with the teams he coached in the lower grades. He had them playing their best football at the right end of the season. We saw this at the Broncos in 2011 as well (until we lost Lockyer) and for some reason 2012 was the complete opposite.

We are seeing it to a lesser extent this season as well in that we are playing better but we are far from our best (and needed to start the run earlier). If we can jag a finals spot I'll be very interested to see if we improve like Griffin teams have in the past - a task made a lot harder in the absence of Hodges but it will be very interesting to see nonetheless.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Griffin coached teams historically play their best football late in the season which is one of the reasons for his high success with the teams he coached in the lower grades. He had them playing their best football at the right end of the season. We saw this at the Broncos in 2011 as well (until we lost Lockyer) and for some reason 2012 was the complete opposite.

We are seeing it to a lesser extent this season as well in that we are playing better but we are far from our best (and needed to start the run earlier). If we can jag a finals spot I'll be very interested to see if we improve like Griffin teams have in the past - a task made a lot harder in the absence of Hodges but it will be very interesting to see nonetheless.

It's no surprise that we play better at the back end of the season, when the middle of our season is ruined by Origin. When pretty much your entire forward pack and your best outside attacking weapon are missing and having to play double up games for 6 weeks in the middle of the season, of course it's going to be difficult to maintain any sort of ongoing form. I know Melbourne do it, but they don't lose half their forward pack.

The biggest test for Griffin, IMO, is next year. Barba, Hunt, Milford (?), Hodges replacement... These things are what will define him as a Coach next year, and I for one think he's got the metal for it. He's shown towards the end of this year he's got some balls.

If we can get rid of Kearny and possibly sign Kevin Walters, well, I like our chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• barker
  • Mr Fourex
  • mystico
  • Cavalo
  • Xzei
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • kman
  • winslow_wong
  • The Strapper
  • Wolfie
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.