Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I'm hoping that the DCE dream is still out there. I honestly don't think Hunt has it in him. He may just be what we need for next year....before luring Evans. I hope I'm wrong....about Hunt.

Griffin I would think will be under huge pressure next year. If things aren't looking any better, definitely on the cards to be shown the door.

If Hunt becomes even half as good as DCE, it'll be a success for him IMO.

As for Griffin, I'd be fine with him as an assistant coach working on defence. Someone smarter and less stubborn should be in charge.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
There needs to be more rage against Kearney ......

Our defence in 2011-12 was winning us games. In 2013 with the addition of Kearney as the "defensive coach", it's costed us a season.

**** off Stephen Kearney.....!!

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Since when was Oates born out of initiative, he was brought in during the injury period when we were losing backs fast, he didn't do it when we were safe and still had Maranta in poor form. As for Kahu I will grant injuries have held him back but I doubt if Copley was in the side he would have been brought in as early.

He wasn't brought in because of the backs, he was brought onto the bench to play second row when we had most of our starting pack on the field.

If Copley was around, it would have stalled his comeback, but not for long. Kahu was always in Hook's plans this year and would have been preferred over Maranta.

It was the right move yes but it was a result of moving Norman to fullback and that brought problems of its own too, don't do that and Hoffman remains and for all we know Hoffman could have still come out and had a top season anyway, he admitted last season he wasn't putting all in anyway so for all we know he could have just as easily decide he wanted to change that. Perhaps Hook played a part in it yes but if your going to give him credit that then he should share the blame of moving Norman as well.

The majority on here wanted the Norman move and it was the best for the team for a set time period.

Norman and Wallace were playing well early on granted last season but since then they have done bugger all to suggest that Hunt should have been denied any real length of time in the halves (a game here and there doesn't count).

Hunt was given four games at the end of last year and another four games ahead of the Origin series this year. He was given the entire off-season to stake his claim and didn't do it.

For all we know, Hook could have been dealing with a turd sandwich and a giant douche.

Hunt was given no real opportunity to stake his claim in the offseason let alone in the early rounds of the season which he should have been, the Broncos had just signed Prince in the off season a message to both Norman and Hunt of their intentions, both Prince and Wallace failed to deliver prior to Hunt's entry into the starting halves and only once Hunt was given a shot did our halves look damaging at all this season.

Prince was signed at the 11th hour as a depth signing to create competition for spots. He ended up outperforming both Norman and Hunt and it was clear that Prince/Wallace was the right combination at the start of the year. I'll remind you that the majority on here were giving Hook stick about saying Prince had to earn his spot - to me, it was clear that he didn't bring in Prince just to replace his young crop.

I personally wanted Prince dumped after Round 6 when we just managed to beat the Cowboys. The majority didn't agree and felt like the combination Prince/Wallace was gelling and were happy with the combination up until Round 9.

Hunt still has a lot to learn and he's been given all the license in the world to throw it around and take chances. More opportunity than what he would have had if he was given a shot earlier in the season, because we have nothing left to lose.

Other options existed, Granville has shown his ability to play fullback in the Qld Cup, we signed Bond, Kemp etc and if Hodges playing SOO was a problem then surely that was an ideal time to do so?

Granville hasn't played fullback in a couple of seasons and honestly isn't really an option.

Dolphins were allegedly in terrible form and Bond by all reports didn't deserve selection. Kemp was injured every other week and even then his form wasn't crash hot.

It isn't cut and dry.

At the end of the day Big Pete I want him to look back at this season and really learn from it, if the club is prepared to back him then I don't want just a repeat of this season where the same mistakes and problems exist from the past season, thats what disappoints me the most, some areas we did improve but the glaring issues from last season still exist or have even gotten worse, don't address those and I get the feeling next season could be even worse.

Agreed.

However, let's hope we have some better fortune too.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
they all love the coach because their position is safe in the side whilst he's there. if someone like maguire came along he'd make the big (right) calls and drop players on performance. give someone with leadership the captaincy. etc

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Brisbane is a funny team. We tread water in a sea of conservatism hoping to be rescued by someone who can swim.

It's almost like it's ok to be mediocre because taking risks is too scary.

As one example, who are our gun halves? Aren't there at least 2 or 3 of them? Ash Taylor, and I forget the other names I have heard and read about.

The Tigers seem to take the plunge with Brooks. So what excuses am I going to hear? We are waiting for DCE, Milford, Johnson?

Always the safe option. I mean look at Oates. Already I am reading here that he only got his chance 'cos of injuries, and he needs to be molly coddled anyway until he's what, 25 or playing for another club?

Last edited:
john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
I'll say it till I'm Maroon in the face (coz I can't be blue!) a gun signing or two will not be enough to rescue this team, unless 1 of those gun signings is a coach

I'm happy for Hook to stick around, but he needs to acknowledge his deficits and surround himself with quality staff who fill the gaps

Or just sod off

I'll take either

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I don't think there's any point continuing this discussion for this season because it's clear that he will be excused from this years results and, unless any drastic off-season sackings occur, ala Henjak, he will be our coach in Round 1 2014.

hope Souths win the title, remember reading something about Maguire being interested in taking us over if he could win something with Souths prior.

Steve Renouf

Steve Renouf

NYC Player
Aug 31, 2012
2014 should be a make or break year for a couple of our players alongside Griffin too. Mostly McCullough and Hunt, I guess.
Wasn't that said last year, or was it the year before?

I'll say it till I'm Maroon in the face (coz I can't be blue!) a gun signing or two will not be enough to rescue this team, unless 1 of those gun signings is a coach

I'm happy for Hook to stick around, but he needs to acknowledge his deficits and surround himself with quality staff who fill the gaps

Or just sod off

I'll take either
Yeah if people think signing two fullbacks will change things dramatically they be wrong.
Barba and Milford would not hurt things but they are not the answer.
The answer lies in a competent Hooker, and halfback and of course a decent 5/8 would not go astray.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
hunt showed glimpses of what he can do against the knights. i think him training as a half back and not a bench hooker this coming off season will do him a world of good. hook on the other hand has had a lot more preparation and time to show something and he hasn't. so it's time for hook and kearney to be held accountable for our failures

Last edited:
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I was one of the first calling for Griffins head and I stand by that to this day. He is just not a good coach. The success of his debut year was all Lockyer.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Wasn't that said last year, or was it the year before?

Yeah if people think signing two fullbacks will change things dramatically they be wrong.
Barba and Milford would not hurt things but they are not the answer.
The answer lies in a competent Hooker, and halfback and of course a decent 5/8 would not go astray.

You may be right but dont under estimate the catalyst effect that 2 or even 1 gun signing can have on the rest of the team. You don't think Hunt or even Mccullough will play with a bit more confidence knowing that they have a Barba or a Milford to capitalise on a half break rather than Maranta or a rookie playing out of position in Oates. Imagine Barba and Milford sniffing around Parker and Gillett when they poke their head through the line, space created will be try time.

Look at the difference when we had Lockyer, granted he is a great of the game and not directly comparable with Barba/Milford but it is that same aura that rubs off on the other players i am hoping can be repeated. It is similar with SBW at the Roosters.

I'd be more than happy for Griffin to be punted, i really did not think much of him this year at all but as i believe it is not going to happen i'm trying to keep a positive outlook for next year. The addition of Barba and Milford i think will make us a very different team next year, for the better, and that is despite Griffin still being there.

Steve Renouf

Steve Renouf

NYC Player
Aug 31, 2012
You may be right but dont under estimate the catalyst effect that 2 or even 1 gun signing can have on the rest of the team. You don't think Hunt or even Mccullough will play with a bit more confidence knowing that they have a Barba or a Milford to capitalise on a half break rather than Maranta or a rookie playing out of position in Oates. Imagine Barba and Milford sniffing around Parker and Gillett when they poke their head through the line, space created will be try time.

Look at the difference when we had Lockyer, granted he is a great of the game and not directly comparable with Barba/Milford but it is that same aura that rubs off on the other players i am hoping can be repeated. It is similar with SBW at the Roosters.

I'd be more than happy for Griffin to be punted, i really did not think much of him this year at all but as i believe it is not going to happen i'm trying to keep a positive outlook for next year. The addition of Barba and Milford i think will make us a very different team next year, for the better, and that is despite Griffin still being there.
Some fair points and overall I agree with what you said but remember there is a difference between confidence and skill. You can have all of the confidence and enthusiasm in the world but if you lack raw talent, fitness or speed then being confident will only get you so far until you are found out.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I was one of the first calling for Griffins head and I stand by that to this day. He is just not a good coach. The success of his debut year was all Lockyer.
I'm not as militant as some on this issue but I believe he's just a very limited coach. Fair enough he has loads of experience coaching U20's/reserve grade but he doesn't seem to have much tactical nous about him. We don't run intricate plays, we don't appear to be a scheming side, we just play high %, low risk, mistake free footy and hope it's good enough to grind down the opposition.

It's probably the perfect gameplan in reserves because the skill levels are lower, so if you make less mistakes and keep possession you probably will win the game. Bit different in the NRL though, need to be more than just a collective tackle sponge, and I don't think he has any real idea on gameplans and tactics at this level, getting the most out of certain players or using their strengths to a teams advantage, etc.

And I very much agree he rode the coattails of Lockyer in 2011, I have said as much many times on this forum.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
I don't think there's any point continuing this discussion for this season because it's clear that he will be excused from this years results and, unless any drastic off-season sackings occur, ala Henjak, he will be our coach in Round 1 2014.

hope Souths win the title, remember reading something about Maguire being interested in taking us over if he could win something with Souths prior.

were the words 'brisbane broncos' specifically mentioned in said article ?

If so, South Sydney just found a new fan for the rest of 2013.

rhino

rhino

NYC Player
Aug 27, 2013

Or just sod off

I'll take either

Agreed they have looked nothing like hook's first year. What changed, Kearney replaced Langer. Now seriously think about that for a second, a wooden spoon coach replaces a guy who was the heart and soul of the broncos for more then a two decades on the field and off the field. And probably one of the most skillfull players to ever played our game. Yet we are still wondering why we haven't performed. Locky retires and Langer leaves as skills coach and who takes the reins Wolf and Kearney. Please......... We need to get a assistant who can teach a tactical game plan and ground out wins with long kicks to corners and set plays in attacking zones and great defence. K Walters, Terry Matterson or Michael Hagan come to mind and I think would be fantastic fit for the broncos. Kearney couldn't coach a brick wall to keep a under 16's team out from scoring and wolf's attacking plays are dull and so 1990's. Put a football brain (tactical coach) with hook and let hook focus on man management and we will see the best of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Astro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.