Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Lol it's because he's our assistant and likely to be caretaker coach if Griffin gets sacked. If we could combine Henjak's attacking structures + Griffin's relationship of players + the defensive coaching of Kearney we'd get a decent coach lol

we need the rugby league version of Darren Lehman

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Everyone bags Kearney but you gotta remember he had possibly the worst first grade squad of all time playing at parra. He slowly was making things better then they sacked him. I'm mates with a few parra players and they loved him and could see behind the scenes what he was doing and the board didnt like that he was changing things from juniors to first grade. The players told me they reckon he'll be a great coach.

He bought Sandow but at the time they had:
Worst hooker in keating. Had no other option.
Worst 5/8 in roberts. Had no other option.
Hayne decided to rock up once every 5 games.
The weakest forward pack I've ever seen.
Horrible backline.

Now going off what he did with that horrible kiwis team, I think he'd still be better than Griffin. I think Kearney would do alright with a good squad. Also thought I'd throw this in there, he told me he doesnt wanna be a head coach and that he enjoys being an assistant and can't see himself being a head coach anytime soon. He told me that at the Broncos below the border sydney members night.

I personally haven't written him off yet considering how bad his squad was. I can't compare him to a coach who has a representative squad like Griffin does and still has no clue how to utilise their individual strengths.

I've heard the bold numerous times from people who love the club. They don't claim to know any players or the inner workings, but Kearney apparently completely restructured their Juniors etc for the better. At least as far as they're concerned. I think Kearney has something to offer a club, but I don't think it's the role of head coach.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Except Canberra.....

Yeah I feel a little more comfortable after reading these stats about Stuart over on LU:

Just did the sums for fun.... since making the grand final in 2004 with the roosters, Ricky Stuart coach teams have won 65 games out of 171 attempts for a breathtaking win percentage of 38%
lol.gif

That even outdoes Sheenius's level of suckitude after he left the Raiders.
59 games since ricky has managed back to back wins as coach. Way back in june 2009 he last did it.. Must be some kind of record for any coach. And it has spanned across 3 clubs. Only proves what a joke he is.
sorry forgot origin so u can make 65 plus the raiders next game will make it 66. Thats nearly 3 whole seasons of football

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
While i agree that griffin is not up to standards to coach the broncos i do feel were not playin as bad as some posters here make out. out of all our games we have played we have always been in the contest. were by no means a rabble like say cronulla or raiders.

the only differance in last nights game was thurston. take him out and im fairly confident we win. the only real concern i have is our defense seems very poor this season and last season. i personally think kearney is to blame here. before he came on board griffin had the boys defending very well we were one of best defence units in comp. we just lacks any attack. now seems the opposite we can score but we seem to get carved up through the middle ruck.

but again i dont think griffin is up to standards to be a head coach yet. esp of a high profile club like broncos. but im at a loss at who shuold replace him. cause honestly kevin walters is unproven and hes most likely the next candidate.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
We have always been in the contest in spite of Griffin though.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
While i agree that griffin is not up to standards to coach the broncos i do feel were not playin as bad as some posters here make out. out of all our games we have played we have always been in the contest. were by no means a rabble like say cronulla or raiders.

the only differance in last nights game was thurston. take him out and im fairly confident we win. the only real concern i have is our defense seems very poor this season and last season. i personally think kearney is to blame here. before he came on board griffin had the boys defending very well we were one of best defence units in comp. we just lacks any attack. now seems the opposite we can score but we seem to get carved up through the middle ruck.

but again i dont think griffin is up to standards to be a head coach yet. esp of a high profile club like broncos. but im at a loss at who shuold replace him. cause honestly kevin walters is unproven and hes most likely the next candidate.

sorry but being marginally better than the two teams at the bottom of the pile has never ever been what the broncos are about ... This broncos side (and those of the past two and a bit years) is a rabble - just take a look at the disjointed slop we serve up in attack week after week - you'd swear these broncos teams under Griffin's tenure didn't even train together during the week ... Sure we get the ball across the line during games but the vast majority of tries are scored from kicks or when we get a run of momentum going our way ... We are completely incapable of surgically taking defences apart like the elite sides of this competition, and like the broncos of yesteryear ...

The reason we rarely ever get completely dismantled is that this playing group has a decent amount of heart and a more than reasonable share of talent .. and I think to a man they understand what the broncos' culture is all about ... But imo they're like a car trying driving down the road with the handbrake on because the bloke coaching them is from the stone age ...

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
well i guess we will have to agree to disagree. because i dont think we are rabble at all. or that we only score from kicks.

but i know its frustrating to not be a premiership force like we have always been.

in any case i dont think sacking griffin and putting kearney in there will lead to any better results

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
Hook just seems totally incapable in the top job, he is not prepared to make the big calls and when he does he gets them wrong which means those ones are likely personal in nature. Would not surprise me if Hannant disagreed with Hook playing Kennedy and was dropt for insubordinate behaviour. Hannant may be a holier then now Mormon but god he is probably one of our toughest and most experienced hard men and Hook kicks him in the nuts and boots him up the arse into Ipswich city for **** sake. Hooks 5/8 hof experiment is bad enough and the boring predictable and incompetent game plan is inexcusable.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
For mine, a coach that has agendas against players that are not based on form, as with Hannant, shows me he has less interest in the team (and the fans) than his sense of ego and power, and that is the kind of coach we don't need.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
For mine, a coach that has agendas against players that are not based on form, as with Hannant, shows me he has less interest in the team (and the fans) than his sense of ego and power, and that is the kind of coach we don't need.

To right and for this reason , he must step down or be removed. The thing is when Bennet made a call you could tell it hurt him 'Alan Langer 99' but two years later a Broncos premiership.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
To right and for this reason , he must step down or be removed. The thing is when Bennet made a call you could tell it hurt him 'Alan Langer 99' but two years later a Broncos premiership.

I'll add to that the coaching staff clean out of 04/05?

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
Yes a coach needs to make tough decisions to be a winner the type of decisions that win premierships. It was sad to see Langer fall that way but the coach stood by him and Alfies form was not good, it was a tough but honest decision. The Hannant decision is not being well handled or represented and looks poor for Griffin. A bad decision not a tough or winning type decision in my opinion.

L

loc

Apr 25, 2014
It's definitely not good for the team. The team needed Hannant out there last night when Matt Scott had a field day.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I can't add anything really, I just want to say I saw these dark days coming years ago and complained bitterly but was told we were changing for the better......well that was a lie. The business side may be good and this sporadic pattern of mild success may be enough to keep the fans coming back for more but it's bound to wane. It is after all just hope , a belief that a return to our better days is imminent but it will not come with this coach, he simply does not have it in him.

We must have been the only club starting the season without a five eight . It was something we knew in the middle of last year yet still we start a first grade season with a learner. That in itself is poor judgement but worse than that Griffin has persisted with this learner who isn't learning, all at the expense of the team. I've had enough and I'm truly sick of these insipid results. Get the Jets coaches in, at least we'll be entertained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• teampjta
  • davidp
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  • Fitzy
  • azza.79
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
  • Big Del
  • bazza
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.