Sack Seibold Now!

I think he is a dead man walking. I have to concede that on the evidence to date that Cult, Goat, Abashi et al were dead on the money in their respective very early calls on Seibold (my apologies to all of you good sirs).

I was not necessarily optimistic about Seibold, but well and truly willing to give him a red hot crack at the job. I was more optimistic and put faith in the fact that the decision makers at the club had in fact conducted a proper process for once in finding and appointing a coach. After making a complete clusterfuck out of the Henjak and Griffin appointments, I foolishly hoped that they had learnt their lesson and were undertaking a proper recruiting process. Now it is rumoured that this was not the case and it certainly has that appearance.

Just another fail to chalk up to front office.

Although after winning the premiership in 2014, the team stopped giving a shit (or were simply burnt out) and started their slide down the ladder. they finished 7th in 2015 and 12th in 2016/2017.

Seibs then took over in 2018 and brought them back into contention where the finished 3rd and 1 game from the GF.

the difference between then and now is that Maguire hand him over a battle hardened team ... Bennett handed him over a bunch of talented rookies and a bunch of over-the-hill, washed-up or just plain avaerage veterans on long term, expensive contracts.

he got them to start giving a shit again after their premiership win
Is there a set play or a game plan created to beat a specific team that you could point out? How long do we give him to get us to give a shit again? I have noticed a few of you shoot down a lot of opinions without saying too much about what needs to happen to get their shit together. So I’m curious, what do you think needs to happen?

How much of that would you put down to individual brilliance? I’m happy to give him credit for having the Burgess brother take out the markers giving Cook a shit load of room to move in, but I can’t think of anything else that was improved because of coaching that year

John Sutton had a career resurgence under him, went from somebody who should have retired in 2015 to one of the best edge forwards that year. A lot of Souths attack actually came from Crichton and Sutton making inroads which would allow Cook and Walker to weave their magic.

The backline was better balanced too. Seibold was able to get Graham, Johnston and Jennings playing their best football and it made a world of difference after Maguire's anemic approach.

John Sutton had a career resurgence under him, went from somebody who should have retired in 2015 to one of the best edge forwards that year. A lot of Souths attack actually came from Crichton and Sutton making inroads which would allow Cook and Walker to weave their magic.

The backline was better balanced too. Seibold was able to get Graham, Johnston and Jennings playing their best football and it made a world of difference after Maguire's anemic approach.
In what way did Seibold get them to play better? Obviously they played better than they did in 2017 but what exactly did the coach do to improve it? What structures were created to allow for those inroads? Weren’t they battered and bruised before every game in 2017? Was it the reduced workload at training? The music they played? Soapy balls? I just need something definitive

Thats great he got some players playing ok at souffs.

He is single handedly destroying players careers at the Broncos.

I think the biggest single thing Seibs can do now is toss the 'stats' talk and 'meeting targets' crap to the side and just get this team back to place where they are enjoying playing the game. If that means canning the structure and throwing it around a bit then do it.

You can't force enthusiasm. This looks shackled.................. and it was the same as last year........so predictable.

Maybe Seibs needs to consider that his preferred style of play, this very regimented and structured 'Storm' style just doesn't suit this team............. and maybe never will.

Its time to try something different......in attack........and defense.

The Storm method works because unlike siebold, Bellamy will drop players if they aren’t performing at 100%. He demands excellence. He’s had great leaders who perform at that level themselves and help maintain the standard. Broncos are extremely deficient in this area also.

Bringing in Hodges as assistant coach might help. A club legend. Well respected. He may help fill the leadership abyss and provide inspiration to the young team.. Give them a good kick up the ass every now and then.

Time to shed the dead weight of Boyd, Oates, isaako, offa to start with, and replace them with a few battle hardened alpha male generals with highly competitive nature.. Players that don’t have a laugh and joke around after their team gets absolutely mauled to pieces.

It’s a shame that bird has had the injury run he has.
Hes such a great competitor and kind of hope the broncs try and keep him because he is the type of player this team needs, not instagram loving clowns that are happy to coast along at 85 %.

James Graham has been mentioned before and although his best years are behind him, his no bullshit attitude and experience would be handy right about now.
Who else is coming off contract that would fit the bill?

Seibold, your boats are sinking pal, and **** it’s painful to watch.

In what way did Seibold get them to play better? Obviously they played better than they did in 2017 but what exactly did the coach do to improve it? What structures were created to allow for those inroads? Weren’t they battered and bruised before every game in 2017? Was it the reduced workload at training? The music they played? Soapy balls? I just need something definitive

Under Maguire Souths became incredibly 'predictible' and would only throw one play at you at a time before Reynolds would try and create something with his kicking game. With Seibold, he got them shifting the ball constantly and attacking from all different vantage points, no area of the field was safe because you could have Jennings scoring tries down the right, Graham down the left or Johnston combining in the middle with Sutton and Crichton wreaking havoc on the fringes.

Strangely enough the one player who struggled was actually GI who came back incredibly underdone. He was supposed to be the fullback, but he was in no shape so Seibold put him in at centre and he spent the early part of that year getting clowned by players like Euan Aitken. He got better through out the year, but this wasn't like Maguire in 2012 who relied heavily on GI brilliance.

I only saw what was happening on the field. I know Seibold preaches a lot about leadership and how he likes to make the players stakeholders to help drive the club forward. At Souths he had Inglis, Sutton, Burgess, Reynolds etc. to help drive things forward.

Under Maguire Souths became incredibly 'predictible' and would only throw one play at you at a time before Reynolds would try and create something with his kicking game. With Seibold, he got them shifting the ball constantly and attacking from all different vantage points, no area of the field was safe because you could have Jennings scoring tries down the right, Graham down the left or Johnston combining in the middle with Sutton and Crichton wreaking havoc on the fringes.

Strangely enough the one player who struggled was actually GI who came back incredibly underdone. He was supposed to be the fullback, but he was in no shape so Seibold put him in at centre and he spent the early part of that year getting clowned by players like Euan Aitken. He got better through out the year, but this wasn't like Maguire in 2012 who relied heavily on GI brilliance.

I only saw what was happening on the field. I know Seibold preaches a lot about leadership and how he likes to make the players stakeholders to help drive the club forward. At Souths he had Inglis, Sutton, Burgess, Reynolds etc. to help drive things forward.
I loved how Souths played under Seibold, I was so excited to get him here. I see literally nothing here that even remotely resembles Souths two years ago?

I also think the replacement has to be a QLDer. Not essential but a step back grass roots.
We've never not had a Queensland as coach. At this stage I don't give two shits if they're maroon, blue, black, pink or green as long as we start competing and winning football games again.

Last edited:
Is there a set play or a game plan created to beat a specific team that you could point out? How long do we give him to get us to give a shit again? I have noticed a few of you shoot down a lot of opinions without saying too much about what needs to happen to get their shit together. So I’m curious, what do you think needs to happen?

Piss anyone off that has had anything to do with recruitment/retention in the last few years.

Inglis came back from missing almost the entire 2017 season, he got 10 minutes or so into the first game then buckled.

At Souths Seibold knew the system, they were going average when he took over and it was at a time when the game suited strict structure.

Taking over at the broncos he wasnt wanted by many, he had already lost
to Bennett’s mind games early on and there was no room for failure, Broncos should be top 8 every year there is no exceptions to that. This job has just got too big on him.

I was always hesitant about Walters however his pros I see now are:

- He can handle pressure, nothing is worse than origin where even the best coaches can struggle in the origin arena e.g. Bellamy

- He knows the culture and expectations of the club better than any other candidate. He has no fear in dropping those who aren’t up to it

-He may not be the most analytical coach but he believes strongly in fundamentals and with a crop of young yet talented players that is what they are craving. The technical shit is for the assistants to help out with

-Less structure more eyes up footy that suits his strengths

- Brings back the old boys and unites the club again. It’s stronger as one

Under Walters we could go average perhaps but at least we would be up for the contest every week

I was optimistic about Seibold and have totally changed my mind, however I will die on the hill that Wayne had to go (he'd gone soft and couldn't sack Boyd, Macca, Knik and co) - I wanted us to keep him for the extra year then move out to pasture as "coaching overseer" with JD as coach. However he carried on like a petulant child and was just as bad as the board. So when we started courting Seibold, I fell for the hype and thought he was going to be a step in the right direction. Kevin Walters is not the answer, I can see the argument for getting the old boys on side, but look at what he did with QLD he selected a cooked Darbs instead of Slater ffs, he's not what we need to clean the place out.

Is there any chance we can get JD? Or what's Michael Hagan doing these days? Maybe a Hagan/KWalters is something we could use? What about Phil Gould? Craig Fitzgibbon?

Last edited:
I loved how Souths played under Seibold, I was so excited to get him here. I see literally nothing here that even remotely resembles Souths two years ago?

Because he's starting from scratch.

He was the assistant coach for a year at Souths, so he understood what the players could bring and what changes could be made to make the squad better. It actually took Souths some time to really buy into his system, the turning point was a game against the in-form Dragons where Souths nearly got them at the death.

At the Broncos, he didn't have that familiarity with the squad. His first team he named seemed like something out of an NRL.com article when really they needed to make a couple of alterations. He's been learning on the fly and he's just been pushing through the next generation of talent, whether they're ready or not, because he's trying to change the culture.

Inglis came back from missing almost the entire 2017 season, he got 10 minutes or so into the first game then buckled.

That's right, I read a post earlier, may have been Cult3 who made out the plan was just to give GI the ball when it was almost anything but.

I can see the argument for getting the old boys on side, but look at what he did with QLD he selected a cooked Darbs instead of Slater ffs

Boyd was still playing good footy at the time and was the incumbent. Slater had been out for nearly two years and was still finding his feet in first grade when the side was selected. Queensland got belted and Slater then put together some great performances which made his selection undeniable.

Boyd played centre and did a pretty good job setting up Holmes for the first try. Then he broke his hand, played some very indifferent football (some weeks good, some weeks bad) before he destroyed his hamstring against the Cowboys. He's never been the same since.

Last edited:
I have a theory that I’m sure isn’t original but Seibold being the stat man he is, preaches the importance of quick PTBs. What I think is happening is that since he arrived he put huge emphasis on slowing the play the ball. He finally taught the team to wrestle, come the first 2 rounds and we dominate. There has been a 10 year trend in the game which saw the wrestle as king, and the NRL completely flipped that 3 weeks before the restart.

its like being an MMA fighter and noticing that grapplers usually win, so you train for a year; focusing on becoming a top tier grappler. Then 2 weeks before the tournament starts the offical say “btw it’s a boxing tournament now” and you think to yourself “shit, I haven’t thrown a single punch at training”:

It’s a sliding doors moment for Seibold. He went all in on slowing the ruck and out of no where his plan now results in endless restarts for infringements. Of course he still has to wear that decision and it means he has failed as a coach but had that rule not changed I’m sure he’d be regarded very differently at this stage of the season.

The key to success in any team based sport at a professional level is to build an effective SYSTEM.

With injuries, salary caps, suspensions... it is no point on relying on specific players to ensure success, you have to build a really solid system with a simple but strong plan - a system where anyone with even average skills and measurables can step in and (if they put in effort) succeed.

When this is done right, it elevates all the players in the squad. There is a reason stupidly average players (eg: Brenko Lee) go to a team like Melbourne and suddenly look good. Same reason players (like Jordan McLean) leave a team like Melbourne and suddenly look average. The Storm (as much as I hate them) have a rock solid system which does not rely on individual players or talent... it is a well oiled machine where the 'next man up' can slot in and do a specific job. Every player has a defined role and set of responsibilities. They are not sent out onto the park to 'play footy' - every position group has a number of set tasks they need to complete like clockwork and suddenly the whole team ticks. For you NFL fans, the New England Patriots are the example. It is about taking a group of players and creating something more than the sum of parts - turning players who wouldn't even get a run elsewhere into important contributors and cogs in the machine.

It seems we don't understand this at all. The players look completely lost, directionless, clueless and we end up torn apart by teams who have much less talent across the board than we do. We rely on game-breaking individual brilliance to save us and have no backup plan. We don't need superstars, we need solid, hard-working players who can do a defined, simple job well... The fact that we have individual superstars and talent like Haas and Fifita should only be cherries on top of a well-drilled machine, so their gamebreaking brilliance is the final edge, not our only threat.

Implementing a system is the responsibility of the coach, it was exactly what we thought we were getting with Seibold... but unfortunately I am yet to see it. It seems unlikely to me that all these guys suddenly forgot how to play overnight, or even that they're all completely apathetic about trying to compete anymore - I suspect either they have no idea what they're meant to be doing out there, or what they have been told to do isn't working (or they are unable to implement it)... All of these problems lead back to the coach.

Last edited:
Adrian lam?? Possible option.

Edit: sorry, just saw he has even less experience than seibold and not a great winning percentage either (58%)

Last edited:
The whole issue with Brisbane stems from their recruitment system and people responsible for this. It appears there are few staff at the broncos who have ever actually played the game at any level. It appears their staff are all academics and it shows they have no real football knowledge. They need the likes of people like Brett Le Man in these recruitment positions, a great coach at lower grades, who was strict on defence and effort but also knew the game.
Look at the Storm, year after year always in the finals because they have a great recruitment system and always plan for the future and have always been able to replace great players. There is always a player waiting in the wings for their opportunity. Furthermore, Melb don't have the junior talent pool at their feet like Brisbane do.

Where is Brisbane's succession plan in their recruitment? Melb obviously have a great one.

Active Now

• kman
  • Stix
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Dazza 92
  • Behold
  • Battler
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
  • Socnorb
  • Aldo
  • RolledOates
  • Waynesaurus
  • Galah
  • Ondi
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.