Sam Thaiday

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Re: Sack Griffin? How about sack Thaiday

Ben Hunt is not an option as captain at this stage. He hasn't even cemented his spot in the side or proven that he is going to be a first grade halfback yet. Thaiday was the best option at the time. I'd really like to hear from the players about their thoughts on Thaiday before I took the job off him. The obvious replacements are Glenn and McCullough but I think Hoffman wouldn't be a bad option.

Broncs1459

Broncs1459

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2012

What about McGuire? I think he might turn into a 80 minute player in the future.

Steve Renouf

Steve Renouf

NYC Player
Aug 31, 2012

Regardless of form on the field, I think Macca's personality is what makes him captain material in my view. Of course, if he becomes more consistent and can stay more minutes on the field, it will be even better.

Ideally though, you want your captain to stay 80 minutes on the paddock, so I would do the same as the Cows and have 2 co-captains. Maybe Thaiday and Prince, with the latter doing all the necessary communication with the refs, because Sammy just doesn't cut it, and that way it's not seen as a demotion...
Macca is lucky to be in the side, his lack of creativity, slow passing from dummy half and missing crucial tackles which lead to tries are something that should see him looking over his shoulder not being considered for captaincy.

Thaiday and Prince? This thread is about sacking Thaiday, not promoting him from captain to co-captain. I think Prince would be a good captain, but he only has a little bit of petrol left in the tank and is not the way to move forward.

Hodges has carried this team and imo should be the Captain until he retires.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008

He can still do this without being the captain. I don't see why these other captaincy candidates still can't show leadership qualities without having the 'c' next to their name. Maybe we should do a Souths and have eight captains and everything will be hunky dory. A change in player personnel/coaching tactics would do a lot more for the team than changing who tosses the coin.

Sorry but I'll just have to assume you haven't played much team sport if you think that's what a captain does. Sam is not a leader, it's one of many changes that need to be made IMO.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

Macca is lucky to be in the side, his lack of creativity, slow passing from dummy half and missing crucial tackles which lead to tries are something that should see him looking over his shoulder not being considered for captaincy.

Thaiday and Prince? This thread is about sacking Thaiday, not promoting him from captain to co-captain. I think Prince would be a good captain, but he only has a little bit of petrol left in the tank and is not the way to move forward.

Hodges has carried this team and imo should be the Captain until he retires.

Yeah ....agree with you on McCullough. He's struggling to perform consistently as it is.....he's got enough problems with his own game let alone looking after the rest of the team.

When you start to look around, as someone else said earlier "who else is there". Personally I can't see past Parker at this stage. He is want you want in a skipper and leads by example. Thaiday was a mistake. I said at the time they should give it to Parker and keep an eye on Alex Glenn to see how he develops .....Glenn, IMO has been disappointing.

As for Prince....we seem to be forgetting he's been given his marching orders

and Hodges, may not be back at all.

No-one else in the team seems to have it in them.......I'd say we be stuck with Thaiday.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

I've never heard that before.

Oh, I have. Big time. Just read through the posts which I know is not exactly prime time entertainment for some, but then ...

You just have to watch the team. Back rowers in the centres, FB's on the wing, back rowers in the front row, locks playing no different to props, halves playing hookers, and avuncular gentlemen with nice smiles pretending to be NRL level coaches.

As for captain, we only have one true leader and he wants no part of it.

Last edited:
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

Ben Hunt is not an option as captain at this stage. He hasn't even cemented his spot in the side or proven that he is going to be a first grade halfback yet. Thaiday was the best option at the time. I'd really like to hear from the players about their thoughts on Thaiday before I took the job off him. The obvious replacements are Glenn and McCullough but I think Hoffman wouldn't be a bad option.

Hoffman........?

the same Josh Hoffman that had the shitty attitude last year and the one that this year doesn't want to play winger cause he doesn't like the position, even though it will most likely be the best thing for the team?

Too much "it's about Josh" for my liking to be a good captain.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Why not look to the future and give the c to Ben Hunt or someone like Parker or Gillett who seem to be putting the effort in each week and might inspire the others. Thaiday isn't inspiring anyone with his performances and he's never been thinker - anyone remember the game where a ref asked him what he wanted to do after a penalty and he said to ask Macca :/

I like the idea of Hunt as co-captain with Macca

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Hoffman........?

the same Josh Hoffman that had the ****ty attitude last year and the one that this year doesn't want to play winger cause he doesn't like the position, even though it will most likely be the best thing for the team?

Too much "it's about Josh" for my liking to be a good captain.

I think the so called Shitty attitude is a myth. You've found another player to have an agenda on. Good for you

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

I think the so called Shitty attitude is a myth. You've found another player to have an agenda on. Good for you

Calm down FFS ......I don't have any "agenda" against Hoffman. I've been pleasantly surprised with his form all year. His last few games have been pearlers!

Sorry if I happened to disagree with you and stated my reasons why.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Calm down FFS ......I don't have any "agenda" against Hoffman. I've been pleasantly surprised with his form all year. His last few games have been pearlers!

Sorry if I happened to disagree with you and stated my reasons why.

The perceived attitude issues of Josh Hoffman are rubbish.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008

What about McGuire? I think he might turn into a 80 minute player in the future.
He's already an 80 minute player, the coach with no idea on how to run an interchange bench just won't use him properly. I don't see captaincy in his future though, doesnt look like an on field general at all - not a negative against him, some people just aren't captain material. Our current captain shows that perfectly lol.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

McGuire isn't up to 80 week in week out.

None of our forwards are tbh.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008

McGuire isn't up to 80 week in week out.

None of our forwards are tbh.
I disagree. He did it for a few months in the back end of 2011 iirc. As he's shown this year, he's better the more minutes he plays. Everything suggests he's more than capable off 80 week in week out. Haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise. Curious to hear what you have though.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008

He has some issues with a calf injury, if they are not managed properly they can chew up a big part of a season as they usually take around 6 weeks to get right.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Nah, he was playing 60-65 on average in the back end of 2011. He did play the odd 80 and I'm not against that but to expect that for 20+ games a season will be detrimental.

60 minutes is the target, unfortunately his calf has caused him issues this season.

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013

The perceived attitude issues of Josh Hoffman are rubbish.

February 2012

Comes back to training overweight.

DYNAMIC fullback Josh Hoffman has admitted that Broncos trainers were disappointed when he returned to training in January overweight. But when it comes to reasons for packing on pounds, honeymooning in Hawaii must be near the top of list.
Hoffman married his fiancee Emma on December 10 and jetted off to Hawaii soon after.
When he returned, he was immediately sent to the Red Hill "fat club".
No Cookies | The Advertiser

August 2012 Dropped for disciplinary reasons

NEW Zealand Test fullback Josh Hoffman has been axed from the Broncos side to play competition leaders Canterbury in Sydney on Sunday after he was late for training yesterday. Coach Anthony Griffin's hardline stance is designed to reinforce to the players there is zero tolerance to lapses in discipline, despite the club's struggle to remain in the NRL top eight.
Griffin also is set to drop another bombshell, with out-of-form five-eighth Corey Norman likely to replace Hoffman at fullback. Norman made his NRL debut in the position against the Cowboys in 2010 when he was 18, and was man of the match.
Griffin has other fullback options, most notably Gerard Beale and Lachlan Maranta.

Josh Hoffman banished as Boncos coach Griffin cracks whip | News.com.au

November 2012. Still blaming the honeymoon and coming back overweight for his poor form.

WITH his fullback spot under siege from superstar teammate Justin Hodges, Broncos custodian Josh Hoffman wants to shed weight and channel childhood friend Ben Barba to lock down his position. Hoffman admits he struggled to overcome his honeymoon break in Hawaii late last year.
He played at 95 or 96kg for most of the season, seven kilos heavier than he was two seasons ago.
While some NRL players thrive on extra weight and strength, for Hoffman it limited his ability to beat a tackler as he felt tied to the turf.
In the final rounds of last season, Broncos coach Anthony Griffin dropped the Kiwi Test player for arriving late to a training session then shifted him to the wing as Corey Norman played fullback before Hoffman switched back in their only finals game.
The 24-year-old had a sensational game for New Zealand in last month's Test, reminding all how fearless he can be.
Hoffman said he wanted to start next season at 93kg, which he hoped would allow him to step past defenders with nimble feet like Canterbury livewire Barba, his halves partners in the Mackay juniors.
"I was a bit fat and sluggish last year," Hoffman said. "Ben (Barba) is now 93 kilos and that's the weight I want to be, that's the weight I play my best at.
"I want to be able to push up all into the line all the time and I need to be quicker on my feet, like Ben, to do that.
"In 2011 I was 93 kilos and in 2010 I was 89. Last pre-season, I came back from my honeymoon at 99 kilos and the trainers weren't happy with me but you only get to have one honeymoon.
"I just got heavy. I need to cut down and get lighter but strong as well so I don't get thrown around."

Broncos' Josh Hoffman pledge to get back to his fighting weight | News.com.au

January 2013. Admits he only tried hard at training when he found out Hodges wanted his spot. Ends up losing his spot to Norman anyway.

News Limited can reveal Hoffman will be given first crack at the fullback spot, with the New Zealand Test custodian expected to launch his 2013 campaign in Brisbane's second trial against the Titans on February 16.

The battle for the coveted No.1 jumper intensified in November when Hodges, a three-quarter fixture on Brisbane's right side, made the surprise admission he was eyeing a possible switch to the backfield this season.
Hoffman's iron-clad grip on the fullback spot slipped on the eve of last year's finals when the hard-running Kiwi was axed by coach Anthony Griffin for arriving late to training.
As part of his penance, Hoffman made his return via the wing.
But an impressive pre-season has convinced Griffin to install the Mackay junior as his first-choice fullback for 2013.
The Broncos coach has not, however, ruled out deploying Hodges at fullback in a clear sign Hoffman cannot afford the disciplinary lapse that temporarily cost him an NRL spot last season.
"He is training well Josh, he will get an opportunity to trial at fullback," Griffin said.
"He has trained well in the off-season like everyone has.
"He has got himself into good shape so it will be good to see how he goes in the trials."
Hoffman recently admitted that he finished last season feeling "fat and sluggish" and that Hodges' interest in moving to fullback had blindsided him.
"He kept it quiet actually," Hoffman said of Hodges' desire to wear the No.1 jumper.
"It came out in the paper and I thought 'wow, I need to go hard'.

Hoffman No.1 but Hodgo's in wings for Broncos first game | News.com.au

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • GCBRONCO
  • phoenix
  • bazza
  • Cavalo
  • Broncorob
  • davidp
  • Fatboy
  • Bucking Beads
  • kman
  • Galah
  • ChewThePhatt
  • The Strapper
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.