Sam Thaiday

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Re: Sack Griffin? How about sack Thaiday

Broncos have a proud tradition of long serving captains, i read everywhere that parker should be captain but lets get real and admit that corey only has 3 years tops left, with a young squad stability is the key, im not saying i agree with thaiday but the club needs a long term option and i guess at the end of 2011 thaiday was most likely to hold a spot for 5+ years, and i think it was a ploy to get sam to pull a finger out that backfired

Langer 170
Lockyer 163
Tallis 83
Walters 40
Lewis 37
Miles 35
Thaiday 25
Parker 17
Dowling 12
Petero 11
Webcke 10
Gee 7
Glenn and Hodges 5
Gillmeister 3
Thorn 2
Conescu 1
French 1
Sailor 1
Walker 1
Walters 1

Not including 2013 stats.

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

I think Macca has it in him...

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013

I would imagine it's Parker but, who's Thaiday's VC? Do we have an official senior playing group? Sam's great with the media IMO but he's certainly lacking on the field regarding leadership.

As I understand it, the leadership group is Thaiday, Parker, Hodges, Macca and Glenn. Wouldn't surprise me if Prince is in there too. The first 3 are obvious as being around the longest. Glenn is slated as future captain as can be seen by his taking the reins over Origin. And Macca has always been seen as a leader by the club, hell it's part of the hooker's job description to push the team around.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

it is harsh to hang that on Hook. Thaiday was played in the front row because we have a plethora of backrowers but we were short on front rowers. Even now, our depth in the front row is pretty poor and it was worse back at the beginning of the year when McGuire was out. I don't blame Griffin for playing Thaiday in the front row for much of the year, it was borne out of necessity rather than genuine stupidity.

it was much better that we played Thaiday out of position in the props than to have Glenn, Parker, Gillett and Thaiday all squeezed into the backrow and not having any good props after Hannant. I don't think that Griffin viewed Thaiday as a better prop for a second, it was just the best move for team balance.

Well, when I bring up forwards, actually, any position, I am usually told that in the "modern" game, everyone plays everywhere.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012

I actually have this strange feeling Mecca would make a good capt. I think he would gain consistency from it. (I actually really like the kicking game he has picked up recently). I honestly see Glenn as no better as an on field leader than thaiday. This year Wallace and Hodges have been the only real leaders but I think Andrew could lift into this.

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013

Well, when I bring up forwards, actually, any position, I am usually told that in the "modern" game, everyone plays everywhere.

I've never heard that before.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013

We don't even know if he has it in him to be a consistent player, let alone captain.

Agree, it's divided opinion on here on mcculloughs ability and I'd like to to believe he is the hooker we need to be competitive before we make him captain.

i do think he is loved by the current broncos hierarchy so it would not surprise me if half way through 2014 he is made skipper among changes made by Griffin to save our season and his own coaching career

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013

Selecting who our captain should be is the least of our worries at the moment. Putting a 'c' next to a different name isn't going to do a hell of a lot to how we are playing.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012

No but it can make a large difference to the penalty count. At the moment our c is the most penalised player on the team. We have lost a couple of games this year through bad refereeing.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013

No but it can make a large difference to the penalty count. At the moment our c is the most penalised player on the team. We have lost a couple of games this year through bad refereeing.

So by putting the 'c' next to, say Parker's name, we would see a difference in the penalty count? Not sure I follow the logic. Even if Thaiday wasn't the captain, wouldn't he still give away his 3 mandatory penalties per game?

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008

Having a good captain is essential in a team sport, he sets the standards to follow and Thaiday IMO is not that guy. He gets penalised more than he should, is seen during a game doubled over with hands on hips too often and his form is all over the place.

It makes it hard for him to rally the troops behind him when they can see all that.

Parker sets a higher standard and therefore is in a better position to expect more from the team.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

I'm pretty sure Parker has said on a few occasions that he doesn't want the captaincy.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013

Parker sets a higher standard and therefore is in a better position to expect more from the team.

He can still do this without being the captain. I don't see why these other captaincy candidates still can't show leadership qualities without having the 'c' next to their name. Maybe we should do a Souths and have eight captains and everything will be hunky dory. A change in player personnel/coaching tactics would do a lot more for the team than changing who tosses the coin.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

Regardless of form on the field, I think Macca's personality is what makes him captain material in my view. Of course, if he becomes more consistent and can stay more minutes on the field, it will be even better.

Ideally though, you want your captain to stay 80 minutes on the paddock, so I would do the same as the Cows and have 2 co-captains. Maybe Thaiday and Prince, with the latter doing all the necessary communication with the refs, because Sammy just doesn't cut it, and that way it's not seen as a demotion...

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013

Selecting who our captain should be is the least of our worries at the moment. Putting a 'c' next to a different name isn't going to do a hell of a lot to how we are playing.

You are right but it would put the team on notice by basically saying you guys are not performing as we want. Could be the catalyst for some type of change.

arieals

arieals

Jun 16, 2013

Why not look to the future and give the c to Ben Hunt or someone like Parker or Gillett who seem to be putting the effort in each week and might inspire the others. Thaiday isn't inspiring anyone with his performances and he's never been thinker - anyone remember the game where a ref asked him what he wanted to do after a penalty and he said to ask Macca :/

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013

Why not look to the future and give the c to Ben Hunt or someone like Parker or Gillett who seem to be putting the effort in each week and might inspire the others. Thaiday isn't inspiring anyone with his performances and he's never been thinker - anyone remember the game where a ref asked him what he wanted to do after a penalty and he said to ask Macca :/

Welcome to the boards, mate.

Yeah I remember that, haha.

Ref: "What do you wanna do Sam?"
Sam: "I'm gonna give the ball to Andrew McCullough and he's gonna make the decision."

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • ChewThePhatt
  • The Strapper
  • barker
  • Johnny92
  • leon.bott
  • FACTHUNT
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • winslow_wong
  • Financeguy
  • Manofoneway
  • Galah
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skyblues87
  • sooticus
  • Cavalo
  • Sproj
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.