Sam Thaiday

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013
Re: Sack Griffin? How about sack Thaiday

LOL ....surprisingly !!

Surely the way a captain prepares during the week filters down to the rest of the playing group. The players fitness and body shape is lining up with Thaiday's more and more as we go on.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

I think we view his defence quite differently then. I think he has the odd goof in his game too but I think they come far more regularly than most other players in the competition.

Than you're giving the rest of the competition way more credit than they deserve.

The company of forwards that get through the mountain of work Thaiday does in defence and doesn't make the odd error is minimal.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008

I've always been of the same opinion concerning Thaidays defence. At times he can hit hard and when carrying less weight than now he can be mobile enough to be effective. Just lately though he has been slow across the ground and when late into tackles tends to give penalties away when clearly beaten. I believe he is complacent and lacks the desire of previous years. He is overpaid for the job he does for the Broncos and it is obvious when there is such a world of difference between his performances for state and club. No hunger equals an appetite for the easy life.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

Maybe thaiday hasn't completed the leadership course yet. I'm sure once he passes the final exam he'll be a successful captain.

lockyer

lockyer

BRL Player
Jul 31, 2013

Broncos have a proud tradition of long serving captains, i read everywhere that parker should be captain but lets get real and admit that corey only has 3 years tops left, with a young squad stability is the key, im not saying i agree with thaiday but the club needs a long term option and i guess at the end of 2011 thaiday was most likely to hold a spot for 5+ years, and i think it was a ploy to get sam to pull a finger out that backfired

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010

I'm pretty sure it was a sweetener on his contract when he re-signed in 2011.

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013

Broncos have a proud tradition of long serving captains, i read everywhere that parker should be captain but lets get real and admit that corey only has 3 years tops left, with a young squad stability is the key, im not saying i agree with thaiday but the club needs a long term option and i guess at the end of 2011 thaiday was most likely to hold a spot for 5+ years, and i think it was a ploy to get sam to pull a finger out that backfired

Wasn't Walters captain for 18 months?

lockyer

lockyer

BRL Player
Jul 31, 2013

Wasn't Walters captain for 18 months?

I couldnt say exactly but in my defence that was in an era of 'stability' having tallis and locky in the waiting, theres no option as a successor to thaiday other than glenn who imo hasnt lead from the front that much

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013

So he backfired after he pulled his finger out. Should have left his finger in.

lockyer

lockyer

BRL Player
Jul 31, 2013

EDIT: Racism

Last edited by a moderator:
Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008

Whoa, that statement is just wrong mate, why don't you single out someone like Mundine and say all indigenous Australians have a great work ethic.

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013

Accusing Thaiday of having a poor work ethic is tenuous in my opinion. He can rightfully be accused of being a bit unfit at times (especially since he still smoked until a few years ago) but at the same time he works overtime on the field. He regularly is one of the top players in the team in terms of tackles and metres made. The fact that he misses tackles or can't manage the full 80 doesn't mean he has a poor work ethic. I wouldn't actually fault the amount of work that Thaiday puts in. there is room for improvement but it isn't as if he is slacking off.

Then there is the issue of trying to extend that claim of 'poor work ethic' to indigenous players in general, which is both incorrect and bizarre because it adds nothing to the argument at all ... oh, and it is textbook racism.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Alright folks, lockyer clearly said the wrong thing and it's being dealt with.

Concentrate on Thaiday as a player and leave all the personal innuendos out of it.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013

Our coach needs to shoulder some of the blame. He persevered with Thaiday in the front row for too long. Thaiday is not a front rower. He's back in his preferred position but too little too late.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013

I would imagine it's Parker but, who's Thaiday's VC? Do we have an official senior playing group? Sam's great with the media IMO but he's certainly lacking on the field regarding leadership.

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013

Our coach needs to shoulder some of the blame. He persevered with Thaiday in the front row for too long. Thaiday is not a front rower. He's back in his preferred position but too little too late.

it is harsh to hang that on Hook. Thaiday was played in the front row because we have a plethora of backrowers but we were short on front rowers. Even now, our depth in the front row is pretty poor and it was worse back at the beginning of the year when McGuire was out. I don't blame Griffin for playing Thaiday in the front row for much of the year, it was borne out of necessity rather than genuine stupidity.

it was much better that we played Thaiday out of position in the props than to have Glenn, Parker, Gillett and Thaiday all squeezed into the backrow and not having any good props after Hannant. I don't think that Griffin viewed Thaiday as a better prop for a second, it was just the best move for team balance.

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008

Like others, I question Sam's ability as a captain. I also think it adversely affects his form. Back in the day when Locky got injured and Sam would step-up, it always looked like the pressure got to him. He made more mistakes and generally had much less of an impact. I think he's better than he was, but he's nowhere near a natural leader.

But who else is there? Parker was a popular option around here but I vaguely remember rumours about his relationship with the other players? Hodges is injured as much as he isn't. Prince/Wallace - not guaranteed spots in the side let alone the captaincy (and now Wallace is gone anyway). Hannant? There are questions over his fitness and I don't see much of a leader in him.

No-one stands out at all :001_unsure:

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

Like others, I question Sam's ability as a captain. I also think it adversely affects his form. Back in the day when Locky got injured and Sam would step-up, it always looked like the pressure got to him. He made more mistakes and generally had much less of an impact. I think he's better than he was, but he's nowhere near a natural leader.

But who else is there? Parker was a popular option around here but I vaguely remember rumours about his relationship with the other players? Hodges is injured as much as he isn't. Prince/Wallace - not guaranteed spots in the side let alone the captaincy (and now Wallace is gone anyway). Hannant? There are questions over his fitness and I don't see much of a leader in him.

No-one stands out at all :001_unsure:
Glenn and Parker. Parker until he retires, then Glenn after him.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Waynesaurus
  • Jedhead
  • kman
  • BroncosMan
  • Manofoneway
  • thenry
  • Big Del
  • broncotville
  • Xzei
  • Bucking Beads
  • Strop
  • Totally Unr3al
  • winslow_wong
  • Lostboy
  • broncos4life
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.