NEWS Sampson: Lodge can make up for his past

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I can't wait for Thursday so people can have something new to talk about and can give it a rest on this garbage. That is, until Lodge is vying for a Blues spot, then we can do it all over again even though none of us will want him playing for the Blues

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
Sproj has made a legitimate statement that players should require to uphold to a certain standard to play nrl and I respect that view. Others have said the standard should be based on pure footballing ability and personal shortcomings left out of it. Both are opinions of value and neither should be used to disparage them.
I hold the view, that if someone shows pertrition and acts with redemption, they should be given an opportunity to find it.
My point is that these are all based on where the nrl (note: not the club) should draw the line.
This argument should have NOTHING to do with the Broncos, unless the personal actions of a said player impact on the club, it's players, or fans. So far, both Roberts and lodge have been exemplary in their behavour.
"Should they have that opportunity?" is a question asked by the nrl. By acknowledging and registering those contracts it has said yes.
Criticism for Lodge's contract could be argued by those that support the club, but for other club supporters or football commentators in general to make the argument, is at best mis-directed, and at worst rank hipocracy.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
This is fun. Good people scrambling over themselves to defend a piece of trash. I hope you look back on your choices and realize how far off you were.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I only see people defending Bennett and asking for the media to give us facts and not lies and hyperbole.

Raise your hand if you are ok with what Matt Lodge did?

Nobody? Thanks. Now that is out of the way can we move on right?

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
This is fun. Good people scrambling over themselves to defend a piece of trash. I hope you look back on your choices and realize how far off you were.
When all is said and done the court didn't jail him,armed with all of the evidence. The ruling body let him back into the game . But bleat away by all means.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
And yet, despite all of that, an apparently experienced prosecutor was prepared to markedly reduce the charge and accept a plea arrangement (apparently despite the opposition of the family and their lawyer) with a non-custodial outcome. From my experience this tells me that (a) that they had concerns about their prospects in pursuing the more serious charge and (b) that the plea arrangement they agreed to constituted appropriate punishment for the criminality involved. Further, either one or two experienced judges with full knowledge of the facts were prepared to sign off on the initial plea agreement and then confirm that 12 months later when Lodge had complied with the terms of the plea agreement.

I cannot see how this occurs if the incident was as serious as reported, but I have not bothered to view the CCTV footage either. Perhaps the authorities had some concerns over embellishment of the witness version (which would be one explanation for what followed).
As I mentioned before, I don't know what the reasons were for the plea deal, but prosecutors in the US, especially in the bigger cities, are definitely in the business of getting guaranteed convictions with plea deals, very often to the revolt of the victims.
US law is funny that way, because in this case, the worse charge, carrying the highest minimum sentence, was that of wilful property damage, which in my opinion is the least of the problems in this case.

FTR, I don't think what he allegedly did, deserved 5-25 years jail, but it definitely deserved more than community service imo.
In fact the civil suit was brought on 2 months later as a result of the dissatisfaction from the victims with the plea deal offered to him, and it appears a jury of his peers agreed with them.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

this coming from a bloke that stopped supporting the club because of a player they were trying to sign only to jump ship to a club that signed GREG BIRD ... a player that glassed his girlfriend only to then try to blame his mate

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
this coming from a bloke that stopped supporting the club because of a player they were trying to sign only to jump ship to a club that signed GREG BIRD ... a player that glassed his girlfriend only to then try to blame his mate
[emoji23] it's OK. You keep scrambling away at half truths about me. I've never been happier with my decision to stop supporting the Broncos.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Does this all mean that once Jarryd Hayne's civil case has been heard the cctv from the lobby will be available to the public? I am curious to see for myself what state that lady was in.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
As I mentioned before, I don't know what the reasons were for the plea deal, but prosecutors in the US, especially in the bigger cities, are definitely in the business of getting guaranteed convictions with plea deals, very often to the revolt of the victims.
US law is funny that way, because in this case, the worse charge, carrying the highest minimum sentence, was that of wilful property damage, which in my opinion is the least of the problems in this case.

FTR, I don't think what he allegedly did, deserved 5-25 years jail, but it definitely deserved more than community service imo.
In fact the civil suit was brought on 2 months later as a result of the dissatisfaction from the victims with the plea deal offered to him, and it appears a jury of his peers agreed with them.

So, one of your issues is with the criminal justice system in New York and a belief that appropriate punishment was not administered? Once again, experience tells me that sentencing is a very complex beast and quite often, we the public, do not the full range of information that is available to the prosecution and the Court when they make such decisions.

The punishment that was determined by the Court to be appropriate is not something that is either in Lodge's control or responsibility. He has complied with the terms of the plea agreement which is all that he can do.

Re the damages award, it was a default judgment scenario, so I would doubt that there was a jury involved. American tort judgments, particularly at first instance are notoriously ridiculous and regularly reduced on appeal. Add into that that it was a default judgment where no claims or assertions are tested and the Court is only provided with one version, and voila, $1.6M damages award. It is not clear whether you are relying on the damages award as being something that corroborates that the incident was more serious, but for the reasons expressed above, I doubt that this would be a reliable assumption to make.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Good on ya Beads. You’re a man of convictions and yet you still hang around here. I’m glad you do as there’s fewer and fewer quality, community-minded members on this forum these days.

Good to see you have elected yourself Soup as the moral guardian and the bastion of all that is right and having the ability to pass value judgments in a public forum about other members whose apparent crime is to hold a different opinion to that you hold.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
[emoji23] it's OK. You keep scrambling away at half truths about me. I've never been happier with my decision to stop supporting the Broncos.

I am curious as to why you became a Broncos fan in the first place if this stuff outrages you? Signing players like Matt Lodge has never been out of the ordinary for the Broncos.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I am curious as to why you became a Broncos fan in the first place if this stuff outrages you? Signing players like Matt Lodge has never been out of the ordinary for the Broncos.
I was a kid when I started supporting the Broncos. What a great time it was being a Broncos fan back then.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Whatever you think it's difficult to have an informed position based on media reports, which I'm guessing is all that anyone here really has.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014

So why post on a broncos board then? Titans board not good enough for you or is it kind of hard to run a forum with 8 members total

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
So why post on a broncos board then? Titans board not good enough for you or is it kind of hard to run a forum with 8 members total
That's an old line that is invalid. I've got no interest in the Titans.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I was a kid when I started supporting the Broncos. What a great time it was being a Broncos fan back then.

And when you got older, what made you keep supporting them?

Active Now

• mystico
  • Porthoz
  • bb_gun
  • Griffo
  • Thelmus
  • bert_lifts
  • Kev_Guz
  • ell.d33
  • Foordy
  • Manofoneway
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Santa
  • broncos4life
  • rnabokov
  • Accept
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Cavalo
  • Wolfie
  • Mister Wright
  • Bucking Beads
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.