NEWS Sampson: Lodge can make up for his past

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
You replied directly to me, why would I not assume that was directed at me.
My reply was to this comment, note the "anyone" mention in bold:
End of the day I don’t believe anyone is excusing what happened, we are just tired of the exact same stuff being peddled over and over and over. I’m sorry to the guys that love Yvonne but this is the same stuff once again.
You may not have excused it like others have, but you certainly keep diminishing it by emphasising the plaintiffs lies, peddling the media attack angle, and creating doubt about the extent of Lodge's acts (as per below's quote). That's losing sight of the forest through the trees, and without a doubt a consequence of the ranged attack to the Broncos from the NSW media, which Yvonne wasn't part of.

I am not disputing this happened, I am doubting it is to the extent reported by the media. If nothing else I find it very hard to believe they accepted such a lower plea deal if they had evidence to the extent of what is claimed happen. Prosecutors aren’t in the business of doing favours to criminals for no reason.
This is the original report from the incident, before anyone even thought he was coming to Qld and the Broncos. The only differences we read today, are about the victims psychological trauma, which may or may not be exaggerated, the lie about Lodge's lack of remorse and apology, and of course their greedy pursuit of money:
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ma...men-he-allegedly-stalked-20151022-gkf7aw.html

I don't know what the reasons were for the plea deal, but prosecutors in the US, especially in the bigger cities, are definitely in the business of getting guaranteed convictions with plea deals, very often to the revolt of the victims.
US law is funny that way, because the worse charge, which carried the highest minimum sentence, was that of wilful property damage, which in my opinion is the least of the problems in this case.

FTR, I don't think what he allegedly did, deserved 5-25 years jail, but it definitely deserved more than community service.
In fact the civil suit was brought on 2 months later as a result of the dissatisfaction from the victims with the plea deal offered to him.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Matt Lodge reveals New York ‘rampage’ damage bill negotiations

March 4, 2018

CONTROVERSIAL Brisbane Broncos forward Matt Lodge has made three attempts in 18 months to negotiate a payout figure with US lawyers — despite being saddled with a personal debt of $300,000, The Sunday Mail can reveal.

New York couple Ruth Fowler and Joseph Cartright have slammed the NRL for supporting Lodge, claiming the Broncos prop had not committed to paying any of the damages bill issued against him in a US civil lawsuit.

In the email, dated July 14, 2017, the lawyers acting for the victims, Wigdor LLP, rejected a settlement offer.

Lodge’s representatives yesterday declined to reveal the exact figure for legal reasons, but it is understood the compensation offer was less than $100,000.

At the time of the settlement offer, Lodge was earning $700 a week playing for Brisbane’s feeder-club Redcliffe — equivalent to an annual salary of $33,600. His current contract with the Broncos, signed in November, is $85,000.

In an effort to pay his US victims, Lodge says he contacted Wigdor LLP offering to take out a bank loan, the amount of which depended on the bank’s assessment of his income and borrowing power.

“I have personally contacted their lawyers as I could not afford to engage anyone to represent myself,” Lodge told The Sunday Mail.

“Their lawyers have asked me on the phone, ‘Why can’t you go overseas and play French rugby to get us the money’.

“They have also said, ‘My clients are reluctant to take a (smaller) offer of money to settle the matter because they are worried you might go back to rugby league and be able to pay (the full $1.6 million damages bill)’.

“They think I’m going to walk back into the NRL after three years out of the game on a contract worth a few million.

“It’s just not a reality for me.”

The US civil lawsuit aside, Lodge has accrued heavy debt with family members, plus his own mounting legal bills.

Lodge’s parents mortgaged their house to finance their son’s release from New York’s Rikers Island prison and return to Australia. The 22-year-old has borrowed money from relatives to help pay his legal representatives.

Factoring in the $1.6 million damages bill, Lodge’s total debt is almost $2 million.

Adding to the financial burden, he is now a father to a three-month-old boy with his partner Jessica.

“Minus rent, living expenses and supporting a family, I’ve barely got anything left,” he said. “I owe my family $150,000-plus for legal bills and my time in rehabilitation.

“I know I made a mistake that night (in New York) and it’s entirely my fault.

“I’ve grown up as someone who was taught to pay for their mistakes. But you can’t get blood out of a stone. Financially, I’m starting again.”

A spokesman for Lodge said the Broncos prop first contacted Wigdor LLP in June 2016 — eight months after his arrest _ for an update on how the civil case was proceeding.

Lodge’s most recent compensation offer was on November 11, 2017.

The spokesman claims Lodge’s legal team has not received any correspondence from Wigdor LLP in the past two months.

Lodge appeared briefly at Broncos training yesterday before leaving the field. It is understood he is suffering a minor leg injury, but will be fit to make his Broncos debut against the Dragons in the NRL season-opener this Thursday night.

Source: Courier Mail

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
This article clearly shows the families motivation and what their priority is.

It's all of the money, nothing else.

I don't know about anyone else, but if it were my son, my focus would be on him and him alone. It looks the money offered by Lodge was more than enough to pay for the therapy.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
This article clearly shows the families motivation and what their priority is.

It's all of the money, nothing else.

I don't know about anyone else, but if it were my son, my focus would be on him and him alone. It looks the money offered by Lodge was more than enough to pay for the therapy.

Are you sure you’re not stuck in the forest?

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If Bennett wants this POS to play at the club so badly he should pay the Lodge debt out of his own pocket.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
Am looking forward to people getting bored of this story. Once he gets the first round out of the way it will die down like it did with Packer.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
If Bennett wants this POS to play at the club so badly he should pay the Lodge debt out of his own pocket.
BS argument.... the salary cap literally would not allow his club to pay off a civil settlement. Imagine if Nick Politis proposed to pay Lodge's legal costs and then he signed a roosters contract.

It's a bullshit proposal put forward by media agencies knowing it'll get a reaction

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I think the biggest shame out of all this is on Paul White and the Broncos. They've lowered their standards to allow Wayne to bring in a block like Lodge. He's harming his legacy with every day he continues on as Broncos Coach.

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011
I believe you can already find the footage of Lodge ripping it up..

A highlights video of his time at the dolphins? Because there’s not a whole lot in the video of the incident that’s landed him in this mess.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I don't see it being a problem TBH. It shouldn't be apart of the salary cap.

Of course it will be. The same way Inglis’ court costs would have been when we were trying to sign him.

How exactly could stuff like be this not be under the cap? It’s essentially payment.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I think the biggest shame out of all this is on Paul White and the Broncos. They've lowered their standards to allow Wayne to bring in a block like Lodge. He's harming his legacy with every day he continues on as Broncos Coach.

Yeah, because we have never had guys with rough pasts at the club...

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Here come the Wayne haters. I can't even remember the coach who signed Greg Bird to your club because he doesn't even have a legacy

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.