Season 2021 crystal ball.

Yea look i have to agree the timing is terrible.
I feel like its a bit of an overreaction is all, and if we have a good run of wins its a completely different narrative.
I agree with others saying it should have taken place the next day, but it didn't, and it was supposed to be a feel good moment between mates after game.
I was pissed about it initially when it happened but after a while i just figured it was a private thing that probably wasn't intended to be on camera and was just the opportune moment for Boyd to share the news with his mates.

I get it though, a little tact and common sense would have said wait till the media has left before doing it or at least do it the next day.
Sure, but we didn't have a run of wins we were coming off. It was a historic run of losses. Everybody knew that, Boyd most of all. It doesn't matter what set of circumstances 'might' have made it ok, the circumstances are what they are and they were known to everyone long before this was planned.

As for private, well given Boyd's well known disdain for the media, he most of all should have known that they'd be literally all over them in the 15 minutes directly following full time because that happens every week, but for a club that just won it's first wooden spoon, you could GUARANTEE they'd have media swarming to kick them while they were down. This is a moment the club was hurting more than at any point in it's history. The fans are absolutely hurting. Former players were likely hurting. The players themselves damn well should have been hurting too. It was not the time to celebrate and I defy anyone to suggest otherwise.

At best, it shows a stunning lack of judgement, and at worst, you might say Boyd simply no longer gave a **** how it might hurt the fans or the club itself. Either way, it doesn't do Boyd any favours, and I've defended his behaviour at times before, but I find it incredibly hard to defend this one.

As I said, it was horrendously bad judgement and it would floor me that no one at the Broncos was smart enough to put their hand up and point that out except for the fact that it's already pretty well established by now that the people who run and work for the Broncos are complete and utter fucking morons.

Last edited:
I don't get the big deal with the gender reveal.
Really, who gives a **** what they did after the game?

It changes nothing, affects no one and was a moment Boyd shared with his mates after a game.

I also wonder how this would have been received had they done the reveal after a win? 100% would have been a feel good footy story for the ages and marketed as such by the Broncos and the NRL.
But because it was a loss, it was the shittiest thing ever to do by anyone in league ever.

Bunch of highly emotional over reacting nonsense because it came on the back of a loss in a bad season.
Move on.
I actually agree that fans overreacted and said as much at the time. The night was put together to celebrate Darius' career and for Boyd the gender reveal was to mark the next chapter.

However putting my personal feelings aside, it's still going to symbolise a low point because the club had just hit it's lowest ebb. To add insult to injury, it appeared the players were completely disenfranchised at that point, even if there was a misunderstanding.

Can you not do it first thing before everyone gets drunk?
It wouldn't matter when Boyd did it, snowflakes gotta be offended. So sick of this hyper critical, holier than thou attitude that has sickened our society. In some ways, things were better in the 'good old days' although I don't want to be 'that old guy'.

Anyway, let's forget 2020, Boydy and babies and hope like **** 2021 is the beginning of a great new era.

I actually agree that fans overreacted and said as much at the time. The night was put together to celebrate Darius' career and for Boyd the gender reveal was to mark the next chapter.

However putting my personal feelings aside, it's still going to symbolise a low point because the club had just hit it's lowest ebb. To add insult to injury, it appeared the players were completely disenfranchised at that point, even if there was a misunderstanding.
Okay, I was harsh but I just don't see why our butthurt feelings over a truly gross season needs to be connected to Boyd's baby bash. I mean, aren't we wise enough to understand that the two are not connected in any way. It wasn't Boyd and his fellow underachievers thumbing their nose or telling the world they don't care, no for me it looked like a release, a moment where a bunch of guys who'd been through hell had a moment of shared joy, something that was absent for a whole season.

I saw the season and the baby thing as completely separate things. I also don't think they aren't allowed a smile and a joke, a bit of gallows humour if you want but after the shit they went through, well I thought they felt bad enough.

That i can heartily agree with. The sooner 2021 kick off comes around the better...
I'm thinking we'll be pleasantly surprised by the Broncos in 2021. KW will bring back the pride and guys will play for him. We will be better for the change.

Okay, I was harsh but I just don't see why our butthurt feelings over a truly gross season needs to be connected to Boyd's baby bash. I mean, aren't we wise enough to understand that the two are not connected in any way. It wasn't Boyd and his fellow underachievers thumbing their nose or telling the world they don't care, no for me it looked like a release, a moment where a bunch of guys who'd been through hell had a moment of shared joy, something that was absent for a whole season.

I saw the season and the baby thing as completely separate things. I also don't think they aren't allowed a smile and a joke, a bit of gallows humour if you want but after the shit they went through, well I thought they felt bad enough.
Whether they intended it or not, it became the visual of the Broncos first wooden spoon which was always going to have negative connotations.

My point wasn't to dredge up bad memories, it was that the Broncos were in freefall the moment the season resumed and so far the early signs don't look good.

Umm...nah not really....

We were an absolute mess from the top, all the way through every level down to the playing roster with a rookie coach and a shit CEO

Today, we are a absolute mess from top, all the way through every level down to the playing roster. We have actually gotten weaker due to player losses, we still have a rookie coach, no CEO.....

Our chances of winning another spoon are greater because we arent playing a reduced season....

Seriously, just accept it....no 2 things at the club are pointing in the same direction......we are a absolute mess....we have young players who are good but ARENT commiting to us....

Ive seen every season we have played, this will be one of our worst in history. Sorry, but its time to face facts.

But hey; its not all bad.

Come to terms with this, and you wont put a gun to your temple half way through the season when we are 2-10..:xxxx::argh:

Umm...nah not really....

We were an absolute mess from the top, all the way through every level down to the playing roster with a rookie coach and a shit CEO

Today, we are a absolute mess from top, all the way through every level down to the playing roster. We have actually gotten weaker due to player losses, we still have a rookie coach, no CEO.....

Our chances of winning another spoon are greater because we arent playing a reduced season....

Seriously, just accept it....no 2 things at the club are pointing in the same direction......we are a absolute mess....we have young players who are good but ARENT commiting to us....

Ive seen every season we have played, this will be one of our worst in history. Sorry, but its time to face facts.

But hey; its not all bad.

Come to terms with this, and you wont put a gun to your temple half way through the season when we are 2-10..:xxxx::argh:
I agree that expectations should be muted this year compared to most seasons past but this season is all about moving away from being a mess.

The wins/losses are irrelevant to me this season, its all about being competitive and making teams earn their points rather than rolling over like the 2020 team.

I think this season will be better than last year purely though the joy of seeing players improve and actually playing with pride in the jersey.

My expectations are rock bottom, I think we are a really good chance to win the spoon again.

Yeah they have a season under their belts but it was one of the worst seasons of all time and the roster is still too young and inexperienced, and somehow despite losing 5 Origin players + Kahu the roster hasn't been strengthened.

I think we'll get killed at the play the ball once again and the backline with the likes of Niu, Coates, Mead, Isaako will get torn to shreds.

Really hope it doesn't get too bad for Kevvie's sake.

You're all wrong, kinda ! Sure, it looks bleak now but it's always darkest before the dawn. If you go in to this season with the bleakest of outlooks you're certain to be right!

If they are absolute shit, you're pessimism was well founded. If they exceed your expectations, you're still right, they simply over achieved!

**** that, I'm expecting a real revival and a mathematical chance to make the finals still there late in the season.

You're all wrong, kinda ! Sure, it looks bleak now but it's always darkest before the dawn. If you go in to this season with the bleakest of outlooks you're certain to be right!

If they are absolute shit, you're pessimism was well founded. If they exceed your expectations, you're still right, they simply over achieved!

**** that, I'm expecting a real revival and a mathematical chance to make the finals still there late in the season.

This is largely the positive older man or woman trope.

Unfortunately it’s hard to see a result other than last for us. Although just a trial, the abysmal second half seems to indicate that the team is still weak mentally.

I think talent / skill wise we have the potential to be somewhere from 7th to 10th, but until our players show a little courage and enthusiasm we won’t beat anyone. Need to run onto the ball instead of catching it flat, show some urgency in playing the ball, and also push up in defence. Haven’t seen us do this for more than 5 minutes in a game since round 1 or 2.

2022 we will hopefully improve and actually recruit someone, but 2021 we will be lucky to win more than a couple of games.

Active Now

• broncotville
  • jd87
  • Hurrijo
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
  • Shane Tronc
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • Purple Pills
  • Astro
  • sooticus
  • RolledOates
  • Allo
  • Howie
  • broncsgoat
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.