CRICKET Second Test- Australia v West Indies

Marnus's live average back up over 60. It has been a privilege to watch him and Smith in this era, both guys are in best team of all time discussions already.
Bit soon for that with Marnus surely?

He's played 30 tests. Better to judge that after 50 or 60.

Bit soon for that with Marnus surely?

He's played 30 tests. Better to judge that after 50 or 60.

Fair enough but he just looks so composed at the crease, he's beautiful to watch.

Also, speaking of beautiful to watch, there is an elegance with Head when he drives.

Marnus's live average back up over 60. It has been a privilege to watch him and Smith in this era, both guys are in best team of all time discussions already.
Calm the **** down on Marnus. Bloke has 9 hundreds. He would currently struggle to be in contention for the 3rd XI best Australian side.

Calm the **** down on Marnus. Bloke has 9 hundreds. He would currently struggle to be in contention for the 3rd XI best Australian side.

10 now and that simply isn't true.

He is currently the number one batsman in the world.

Only 3 Australian players have 30 or more centuries. It'll be 4 after Smith gets another one.
Marnus got 10 pretty quickly, but can he get another 20?

10 now and that simply isn't true.
Let's talk batting 3-5, he is currently behind

Bradman
Ponting
Waugh
Waugh
Clarke
Hussey
Martyn
Border
Smith
Boon
Walters
Chappell

Hazlewood has a side strain so likely out of the South African series. Really sucks that Jhye isn't fit, would love to him and Cummins in the same side.

And now you've challenged me to make lists...so I will...and will be as harsh as I can and not include him and then people can judge from there:

Best side:
1. Hayden
2. Warner
3. Bradman
4. G.Chappell
5. S.Smith
6. Border

Second Side:
1. Langer
2. Trumper
3. Ponting
4. S.Waugh
5. M.Clarke
6. M.Hussey

Third Side:
1. B.Simpson
2. B.Ponsford
3. A.Morris
4. A.Jackson
5. K.Walters
6. N.Harvey

Let's talk batting 3-5, he is currently behind

Bradman
Ponting
Waugh

Waugh
Clarke
Hussey
Martyn
Border
Smith

Boon
Walters
Chappell

The ones in bold definitely but the others he is on par or already better. Interestingly, his average is 15 runs better than Ponting's after the same number of tests. Also 3 runs less than M.Hussey. He also averages 5 runs more than Smith at the same test point. So it isn't pulling it out of my butt to say he is in that company.

Hazlewood has a side strain so likely out of the South African series. Really sucks that Jhye isn't fit, would love to him and Cummins in the same side.
Just cause it troubled him last year doesn’t mean he will take the same amount of time to recover. Likely yes he will miss 1 game due to load management but I highly doubt that he will be out for the whole series. I think you will find that last year was very much precautionary rather than just being entirely incapable. I doubt he will want to miss nearly 2 straight home summers from a side strain of all things. My guess is he will play Gabba and SCG and Scott will play at the BCG (Boland Crocket Ground) on Boxing Day.

And now you've challenged me to make lists...so I will...and will be as harsh as I can and not include him and then people can judge from there:

Best side:
1. Hayden
2. Warner
3. Bradman
4. G.Chappell
5. S.Smith
6. Border

Second Side:
1. Langer
2. Trumper
3. Ponting
4. S.Waugh
5. M.Clarke
6. M.Hussey

Third Side:
1. B.Simpson
2. B.Ponsford
3. A.Morris
4. A.Jackson
5. K.Walters
6. N.Harvey

Warner over Langer doesn't sit right with me, their averages after this test finishes will be close to identical, unless Warner goes big in the 2nd innings. So at that point it comes down to personal preference, surely you pick Langer.

One important stat that JL comes out ahead on is average away from home, Warner averages 32 outside of Australia, Langer averaged 42. And I'd argue that Langer faced far better bowling attacks over his career.

Warner over Langer doesn't sit right with me, their averages after this test finishes will be close to identical, unless Warner goes big in the 2nd innings. So at that point it comes down to personal preference, surely you pick Langer.

One important stat that JL comes out ahead on is average away from home, Warner averages 32 outside of Australia, Langer averaged 42. And I'd argue that Langer faced far better bowling attacks over his career.

Oh I agree but I was trying to be objective. I actually don't rate Warner that highly but it is almost the same issue with Hayden, both flat track bullies. Hayden though also had that phenomenal series in India and that is nothing to be sneezed at.

The point I was making anyway, is that Labushagne belongs in this company.

In my honest opinion Marnus 30 games in shits on everyone of those players bar Smithy and the Don. Problem is they all held what they achieved for 70+ tests. So really I don’t think that talk about him being in the best lineup of all time (Aus) is really necessary. He does what he has done for another 30-40+ games than we can talk but as it stands he could finish his career with a few more hundreds and an average of 40. So really quite premature.

It's very difficult to compare players from one era Vs another era, no doubt Marnus is off to a great start to his career, but when it comes to selecting lists of the all time best or selecting best ever XI's, I prefer to do that once a player's career is over. IMO Marnus has to go on and prove himself more and more, especially against better attacks than what he has faced so far this summer and also overseas away from "home" tracks.

That said, I think he has potential to be in the conversation and I'm looking forward to watching the rest of his career, especially live at the Gabba on the 17th against the Proteas.

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • kiwi2
  • Harry Sack
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • Cavalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  • Adammacca
  • BruiserMk1
  • Gaz
  • IceWorks
  • FACTHUNT
  • johnny plath
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.