Seibold - 5 games in

How did Canberra get done if it's not audited? Self reported?

I think nearly every case of cap cheating has involved a whistle blower of some sort ... with the exception of the Sharks, they were stupid enough to get caught without one, but smart enough to avoid any real penalties

so they are desperate to get to the NRL and their response is to "show a lack of commitment" to perform in the ISC ...

that is the exact opposite of the type of player and person we need in this team ...

the type of player we need is one desperate to pull on the Brisbane Broncos jersey and will work his ass off, doing what it takes to get that opportunity.

Generally speaking I would definitely agree with you. I'm just saying that it's not always the case and sometimes if a player is good enough you just need to back him.

I have zero experience in this but I would guess that transitioning into the NRL for some young players, would be harder mentally than what it is physically.

I wasn't against him coming in (although I thought a 5 year deal was ludicrous).

But Seibold is showing all the hallmark signs of a dud.

• He doesn't have the foresight or the guts to make changes.
  • He has ruined what was a good attacking side by bringing in excessive structure despite clearly not having the personnel to do so. We had enough possession against Wests to put up 30+ but could only manage one early try and one long-range try. Nothing came when we were camped inside the Tigers 20 in the first half.
  • This is still a terrible side defensively and there is, at best, limited evidence that this is improving.
  • In terms of off-field stuff, he looks like a deer in the headlights after every loss and in the coaching box during every game. I have very little faith that he knows what to do to fix these issues.
There are serious wraps on him. I don't doubt he's an intelligent man. But rugby league isn't a Harvard University game, its a TAFE game. It doesn't require overthinking - it requires skill, application and a half-decent game plan. At the moment we don't have the first two and I seriously question whether we even have the third.

/rant

How does any team get done for salary cap - self reporting or whistle blower. I cannot think of one incident the NRL auditors have actually found.

so they are desperate to get to the NRL and their response is to "show a lack of commitment" to perform in the ISC ...

that is the exact opposite of the type of player and person we need in this team ...

the type of player we need is one desperate to pull on the Brisbane Broncos jersey and will work his ass off, doing what it takes to get that opportunity.

They’re playing with different players in different systems. They may not click with that coach or tactics or the players around them may not be giving them the options they work best with. Some players can only adapt so much to how they naturally play, and maybe how Seibold wants to play might suit them better than the QCup coach.

They’re playing with different players in different systems. They may not click with that coach or tactics or the players around them may not be giving them the options they work best with. Some players can only adapt so much to how they naturally play, and maybe how Seibold wants to play might suit them better than the QCup coach.

my response was directed at the comment where he said that some players feel they belong in the NRL so may "show a lack of commitment" in the ISC comp ...

it is a different story if the player is not gelling with the team (possibly due to his style) or not clicking with the coaches tactic, but is still working his ass off

my response was directed at the comment where he said that some players feel they belong in the NRL so may "show a lack of commitment" in the ISC comp ...

it is a different story if the player is not gelling with the team (possibly due to his style) or not clicking with the coaches tactic, but is still working his ass off

Ok sure but if you aren’t enjoying your work, or succeeding, are you really going to keep going at 100%, regardless of your chances at a promotion?

Ok sure but if you aren’t enjoying your work, or succeeding, are you really going to keep going at 100%, regardless of your chances at a promotion?

if their dream is to play in the NRL they will ... there would be very few NRL coaches that would give a kid an opportunity if they are showing a lack of commitment...

this is a very competitive market.

one kid may be extremely talented, but showing a lack of commitment and hard work in the reggies ... while the next kid may not be as talented (still has plenty of talent though), but is busting his ass to get that opportunity in the big time.

which player do you think gets the chance

if their dream is to play in the NRL they will ... there would be very few NRL coaches that would give a kid an opportunity if they are showing a lack of commitment...

this is a very competitive market.

one kid may be extremely talented, but showing a lack of commitment and hard work in the reggies ... while the next kid may not be as talented (still has plenty of talent though), but is busting his ass to get that opportunity in the big time.

which player do you think gets the chance

From what I’ve seen, talent seems to be winning out.

Most players have acceptable levels of both, but there are more outright lazy talents than there are outright mediocre-but-committed players

I think six premierships show he is pretty capable in finals as well.

I dont think we didnt have another level tactically personally, i think in days gone by it was Origin that burnt out our players to a point where we spent up all our energy making sure we made finals and we didnt have a lot left in the tank.
You are so right. Had Origin stood alone, had our representation been lower, had our stars not played so many Australian rep games we would likely have won at least four more premierships. People selectively remember different years and many years were cruelled by origin and rep games.

5 of which from a different cap free era, and I did mention this millennium...
It was a cap free era for everyone and we were NOT the richest club around. It's a myth about tge Bronco's wealth in that era, we definitely struggled for every penny. Financial success came later AFTER winning premierships.

What we are witnessing now at the Broncos is the beginning of a new era. There is a complete structural change occurring in how the team plays, recruits, attacks and tackles. Right now Siebs needs to leave old head experienced players where they are to ease the trauma the young guys are being exposed to. If he never our loses would be more severe and could potentially damage our young up and coming stars long term.

Our spine will change eventually. When it does it will have perhaps the best forward pack the Broncos have ever put on the field.

The talent of the new spine coming through will more than complement the then hardened forwards.

Siebs will oversea that whole new era for the Broncos. When it fully transitioned we will once again take our rightful position as an elite club with a winning mentality.

This will all come to pass within the next two seasons.

Yip, I'll still whinge at dropped balls and slow dummy halves, but I know where the club is going and it's on the up and up.

It was a cap free era for everyone and we were NOT the richest club around. It's a myth about tge Bronco's wealth in that era, we definitely struggled for every penny. Financial success came later AFTER winning premierships.
No, we weren't the richest, but we also didn't struggle for every penny. We had plenty of third party support from the get go and there's a reason we were on the highest cap tier at the salary cap inception.

I'm not denying Bennett's influence in the club's success or the great teams he assembled. I'm saying he wouldn't have been able to assemble them under the current "all equalising" salary cap rules. Putting those teams together and of course giving them the steel and belief in themselves to succeed, which has always been his greatest value, is something that can't be taken away from him.

I'm not saying it was easy to win those premierships, but it certainly was easier than it is today. I just don't think he's a great tactician (or has ever been one for that matter), and more often than not it shows in the playoffs against the better prepared teams, who have gone a gear up and know exactly what they're going to get from Bennett's Broncos.

No, we weren't the richest, but we also didn't struggle for every penny. We had plenty of third party support from the get go and there's a reason we were on the highest cap tier at the salary cap inception.

I'm not denying Bennett's influence in the club's success or the great teams he assembled. I'm saying he wouldn't have been able to assemble them under the current "all equalising" salary cap rules. Putting those teams together and of course giving them the steel and belief in themselves to succeed, which has always been his greatest value, is something that can't be taken away from him.

I'm not saying it was easy to win those premierships, but it certainly was easier than it is today. I just don't think he's a great tactician (or has ever been one for that matter), and more often than not it shows in the playoffs against the better prepared teams, who have gone a gear up and know exactly what they're going to get from Bennett's Broncos.
Adding honey to the poison doesn't lessen the poisons effect. Acknowledging his strengths while implying he couldn't do this and that is exactly what you've done here in your post. You need to acknowledge that other rich clubs could buy copious talent during that era yet they couldn't go back to back. It's never been easy in any era except in the 60's when St George bought premiership after premiership. He may not be a great tactician but he's a good one in any era. I know it's hard for you given your openly stated dislike and the bias that colours your opinions and views but can you do something you've never done before and write a post that isn't chocolate coated shit? Just one post that doesn't have a but or a denigration.

Adding honey to the poison doesn't lessen the poisons effect. Acknowledging his strengths while implying he couldn't do this and that is exactly what you've done here in your post. You need to acknowledge that other rich clubs could buy copious talent during that era yet they couldn't go back to back. It's never been easy in any era except in the 60's when St George bought premiership after premiership. He may not be a great tactician but he's a good one in any era. I know it's hard for you given your openly stated dislike and the bias that colours your opinions and views but can you do something you've never done before and write a post that isn't chocolate coated shit? Just one post that doesn't have a but or a denigration.
No I can't do that, because that would be hypocrisy. It's not denigration when it's true. I'll praise him where I think he deserves it, and I'll criticise him the same way. Apparently, that is never enough for those people who accuse others of being biased without recognising their own...

Speaking of, are you going to recognise his teams are more often than not, just cannon fodder in the finals?

Last edited:
No I can't do that, because that would be hypocrisy. It's not denigration when it's true. I'll praise him where I think he deserves it, and I'll criticise him the same way. Apparently, that is never enough for those people who accuse others of being biased without recognising their own...

Speaking of, are you going to recognise his teams are more often than not, just cannon fodder in the finals?
Oh, I agree in recent history his teams have been found wanting come finals time. I only asked that for once in your life you write a post that doesn't just put the man down and at the same time sprinkle over a little praise. No one asked you to be dishonest or hypocritical and it's not even about those things. Simply finding something nice to say, without a condemnation either side isn't hypocrisy. It's just being a good guy every now and then.

Oh, I agree in recent history his teams have been found wanting come finals time. I only asked that for once in your life you write a post that doesn't just put the man down and at the same time sprinkle over a little praise. No one asked you to be dishonest or hypocritical and it's not even about those things. Simply finding something nice to say, without a condemnation either side isn't hypocrisy. It's just being a good guy every now and then.

I think he does a fantastic Clint Eastwood impersonation. There you go.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • theshed
  • something
  • Brocko
  • Fozz
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bongo
  • Dash
  • Allo
  • Johnny92
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fatboy
  • Wolfie
  • ezpz
  • Jedhead
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.