Seibold - 5 games in

Bennett's always put his players first, not the club and i avtually dont see anything wrong with that. The Titans approached us about Ash and he wanted to leave anyway. You have to remember we still had Ben Hunt who at the age he was at the time would have blocked the way for Taylor. As I said before, I don't think anyone expected to lose Hunt but then he got a huge offer, and I don't think anyone expected the Titans to overpay so much for Taylor. Bennett only slipped up when you use hindsight imo.

In my opinion, Bennett slipped up in not being ruthless enough. Trent Robinson has no issues with his players from all accounts and Bellamy for all his famed toughness seems loved by his own players.

Do you see either of them releasing a potential star half-back when such are thin on the ground to help out that player and by default, another team?

They might, if they had a better option. That would be about it, I'd suggest. What was Bennett's better option? Wait 5 years til one of his VERY juniors was ready? Yes we had Hunt but he was coming off-contract. So the excuse is we 'didn't know' that other clubs might throw huge money at an off-contract 'star' halfback? Please.

Are we in primary school here? The same club and coach prepared to throw million dollar contracts at 18 year old props, 'didn't know' that other clubs might do the same at our 'off-contract' star halfbacks? Again, please...

Do people actually rate Taylor?

he fucked his career by going to the Titans ... he has the talent, but hasn't remotely made the most of it due to being at one of the jokes of the league

Legit question......

Why do people think that Bennett not releasing Taylor in 2015 means he would be here now?

personally because I think he would have continued to develop at our club compared to others and we would have gone all out to retain him. When we tried to sign him back after foolishly letting him go, he remained loyal to the club that gave him a chance instead of letting him walk.

What makes you say that he would not have been loyal to us, given the same chance?

personally because I think he would have continued to develop at our club compared to others and we would have gone all out to retain him. When we tried to sign him back after foolishly letting him go, he remained loyal to the club that gave him a chance instead of letting him walk.

What makes you say that he would not have been loyal to us, given the same chance?

I don't think "stayed loyal" is the correct term. He took the cash.

Lewis and Taylor are nothing alike. Lewis for mine takes after Terry Campese, a big body five-eighth who loved to roll the dice and put the ball up in the air for his big outside backs.

I see more Scott Prince in Ash Taylor, a nimble half with all the skills. Both struggled with consistensy, but when they're on their games they're right up there with the best halves in the game. Prince also struggled with the physical demands of the game, as I write this up, Taylor could miss the next three games with an ACL strain. Taylor must have suffered that early on in last week's game because he was hobbling very early on.

Lewis and Taylor are nothing alike. Lewis for mine takes after Terry Campese, a big body five-eighth who loved to roll the dice and put the ball up in the air for his big outside backs.

Alike in the sense that both can kick fairly well, but are below average in everything else (except Lewis is a better defender).

Taylor has the more accurate and natural kicking style. Lewis has to come to a complete stop and slowly go through the motion before he can get the ball away. Teams are beginning to figure this out, which is why he's made such a poor start to 2019.

Taylor does also seem to be rather injury prone tho.

Last edited:
My feelings in 2015 on the Taylor release.

https://broncoshq.com/threads/ash-taylor-granted-permission-to-look-elsewhere.26391/

My opinion has never wavered, it was a bad decision by Bennett and the club. If you had have told me in 2015 that Kodi Nikorima was going to be the first choice halfback in 2018-19, I would have been ropeable.

In 2015 we were all under the assumption that Milford and Hunt were going to be our halves for the next decade. Then the Grand Final happened.

In my opinion, Bennett slipped up in not being ruthless enough. Trent Robinson has no issues with his players from all accounts and Bellamy for all his famed toughness seems loved by his own players.

Do you see either of them releasing a potential star half-back when such are thin on the ground to help out that player and by default, another team?

They might, if they had a better option. That would be about it, I'd suggest. What was Bennett's better option? Wait 5 years til one of his VERY juniors was ready? Yes we had Hunt but he was coming off-contract. So the excuse is we 'didn't know' that other clubs might throw huge money at an off-contract 'star' halfback? Please.

Are we in primary school here? The same club and coach prepared to throw million dollar contracts at 18 year old props, 'didn't know' that other clubs might do the same at our 'off-contract' star halfbacks? Again, please...

Roosters havent really been in our position. Roosters poach most of their players so they dont have the junior development we do. Melbourne dont develop local kids, they encroach into other areas to get their talent ( which they do well and do develop players at least ) but they havent really produced a real top line player for a while now. Probably Munster is the one that sticks out. Who are these potential star half-backs at the Roosters and Melbourne who arent playing they are keeping and more importantly, who want to leave ( as was with the case with Taylor )

As for your point about Hunt, are you seriously trying to tell me anyone in the game expected the Dragons to offer him a 6 million dollar contract? to quote you in the same patronising manner, Please.... not one person predicted that. We never in our wildest dreams expected to be priced out of contract talks with him. The offer wasnt just huge, it was astronomical for a player like Ben Hunt. The plan was always bring Taylor back here when his contract expired at the titans, but again, nobody would have predicted we would be priced out of getting him. As i said, in hindsight, we stuffed up. In reality, we were just unfortunate we came up against 2 clubs that were willing to spend more than we were and by ridiculously large amounts.

Your comparison with Haas isnt comparing apples with apples. You are comparing a player on 500k a year to 2 players on a million a year. Hunt and Haas are both on 6 year contracts for example, Haas is 3 million, Hunt is 6 million. Ash Taylor is on a 3 year deal at 1 million a year. The Haas deal isnt even close to the other two.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/18/brisbane-broncos-re-sign-payne-haas-on-lucrative-six-year-deal/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/ce6dbc3abd0d9091373d009d1d1dc26e

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/as...titans-on-threeyear-deal-20171025-gz7lxo.html

As Tom said, he was loyal to the almighty dollar. I dont blame him, everyone would do the same. Apparently our offer was around 350k a year less.

In 2015 we were all under the assumption that Milford and Hunt were going to be our halves for the next decade. Then the Grand Final happened.

I'll just say I'm no where near convinced that Hunt is good enough to deserve the halfback spot for the next five years.

Once he learns how to control a game, I'll be convinced but right now he's a contract by contract prospect...at best.

Clearly not me, and there were others as well.

Yeah but besides all that you need quality depth. Would the likes of the Storm and the Roosters release Taylor in a similar situation? Absolutely fucking not. Probably why they are trading grand final appearances and premierships and we are fighting tooth and nail to make the 8.

But hey, we are totes nice guys and it is just about participating and having fun, right?

Clearly not me, and there were others as well.

I was certainly disappointed that he left, but at that stage Hunt was one of the best club halves in the game and we thought we had the future covered with Jayden Nikorima.

I was significantly more concerned with losing Arrow, which has proven to be arguably a bigger mistake than losing Taylor imo. We wouldn't have a revolving door at 13 if we kept him, put it that way.

I was certainly disappointed that he left, but at that stage Hunt was one of the best club halves in the game and we thought we had the future covered with Jayden Nikorima.

I was significantly more concerned with losing Arrow, which has proven to be arguably a bigger mistake than losing Taylor imo. We wouldn't have a revolving door at 13 if we kept him, put it that way.

Even with Jayden around, the decision to let Taylor go was poor for all the reasons I provided way back when.

Halves are much tougher to come by than lock forwards and while I was a fan of Arrow, I wasn't as heart-broken to let him go knowing that Pangai Jr, Carrigan, Bird, Staggs etc. coming through.

Bennett's always put his players first, not the club and i avtually dont see anything wrong with that. The Titans approached us about Ash and he wanted to leave anyway. You have to remember we still had Ben Hunt who at the age he was at the time would have blocked the way for Taylor. As I said before, I don't think anyone expected to lose Hunt but then he got a huge offer, and I don't think anyone expected the Titans to overpay so much for Taylor. Bennett only slipped up when you use hindsight imo.

When Hunt left and we couldn't get Taylor we needed to make a signing. Moses was proposed but Wayne, the board, or a combination of both supposedly turned it down. Nothing can convince me that we'd have been a weaker side over the past 2 years with Moses at HB instead of Niko, the man got the EELS into the top 4 when he moved their mid season for God's sake. We could have gotten him for 3 years until/ if Dearden or Boyd was ready and then made a decision then, but instead we trotted out two halves who don't speak on the field and are known primarily for their running games.

When Hunt left and we couldn't get Taylor we needed to make a signing. Moses was proposed but Wayne, the board, or a combination of both supposedly turned it down. Nothing can convince me that we'd have been a weaker side over the past 2 years with Moses at HB instead of Niko, the man got the EELS into the top 4 when he moved their mid season for God's sake. We could have gotten him for 3 years until/ if Dearden or Boyd was ready and then made a decision then, but instead we trotted out two halves who don't speak on the field and are known primarily for their running games.

I wanted Brooks or Moses, and was pretty vocal about it. They may not be the most complete players by any stretch of the imagination, but they're what Milford needs, someone who isn't afraid to take on a majority of the kicking game burden and steer the ship.

Active Now

• Browny
  • Xzei
  • Bish
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.