Seibold - 5 games in

What we are witnessing now at the Broncos is the beginning of a new era. There is a complete structural change occurring in how the team plays, recruits, attacks and tackles. Right now Siebs needs to leave old head experienced players where they are to ease the trauma the young guys are being exposed to. If he never our loses would be more severe and could potentially damage our young up and coming stars long term.

Our spine will change eventually. When it does it will have perhaps the best forward pack the Broncos have ever put on the field.

The talent of the new spine coming through will more than complement the then hardened forwards.

Siebs will oversea that whole new era for the Broncos. When it fully transitioned we will once again take our rightful position as an elite club with a winning mentality.

This will all come to pass within the next two seasons.

Yip, I'll still whinge at dropped balls and slow dummy halves, but I know where the club is going and it's on the up and up.

As long as the board doesn’t sack seibold

Wayne won't do any damage at Souths, they are a pretty good side. He’s used to coaching the Burgiii and they’re used to him. They have an excellent spine and he’s always wanted to coach Walker and Inglis - if he gets the chance. No wonder you can't wipe the smile off his face he’s happy.

Inglis look to be retiring ?

5 weeks in and I think it is time to make some tough calls. Way too many underperforming players. I feel like he's picking players that aren't going to work in the structures he wants us to play. The Forwards have no hope when there is no organiser in the team. The team has no hope when there is no leadership.

Lotsa talk about the halves and organising ? Till the team gets into the opposition half or the last tackle . They don`t handle the ball . If the hooker and the fwds can`t organise themselves WTF are they doing playing NRL foot ball ? Other than that its 1,2,5 taking the 1st 3 rucks then the lock on the 4th .

They have narrow zones on the field they are to play in . What sort of organisation do you need to take a pass off the dummy half ?

Dropping the ball and penalties have meant plenty of time in our own half .

Organising to get deeper and run harder , organising to chop the legs instead of hugging , organising to hold onto the ball in tackles , organising to ground the ball behind the try line . That`s the kind of organising I`d prefer to see .

Last edited:
I dont think Bellamy is in Bennetts league. He is fantastic in Melbourne, but outside of there he hasnt been great. Bennett has been good everywhere, Broncos, St George, New Zealand, England, QLD and even NEwcastle to a point. The Newcastle saga wasnt all down to him, there are plenty of good articles about it if you want to educate yourself on what really went on with Tinkler there.

I also dont think you can use the argument of great players with Bennett and not apply it to Bellamy. He has been able to lean on the greatest game manager and most influential player the NRL has ever seen.

Again, you are rewriting history. We didnt sign Bird at the expense of a halfback. Thats absolutle nonsense. We signed Bird at the same time we were trying to sign Ash Taylor. It wasnt one or the other. Bennett is also the one who identified we were missing out on the top young players. Now look at us, we have some really top line talent thanks to either him or systems he put in place. How can it not have been good in the past few years? We have Carrigan, Haas, Staggs, Flegler, Dearden, TPJ, Lodge and many others here now one way or another because of Bennett.

We also don’t have a halfback because of Bennett. I’m not having a go at him but surely this is a glaring issue in recruitment.

We also don’t have a halfback because of Bennett. I’m not having a go at him but surely this is a glaring issue in recruitment.

Hunt got swooped from us and he did try to get Taylor back (thankfully he didnt). It's been one season since bhunt left and theres been a dearth of quality play makers on the market. We've supposedly got all of the good young halves in the country locked up.

I don't think anyone would ever of imagined the type of coin thrown at Hunt and Taylor. It's not like he didn't identify we were lacking one.

Oh, I agree in recent history his teams have been found wanting come finals time. I only asked that for once in your life you write a post that doesn't just put the man down and at the same time sprinkle over a little praise. No one asked you to be dishonest or hypocritical and it's not even about those things. Simply finding something nice to say, without a condemnation either side isn't hypocrisy. It's just being a good guy every now and then.
That's just hyperbole. I didn't put the man down nor did I sprinkle a little praise. I said he isn't a great tactician after I praised what he did for the club and great job he did to assemble the rosters he did at the time when such a thing was possible.

It's interesting that you're not actually arguing the points I make, but my supposed bias.
Also, maybe just being a good guy every now and then... pot, kettle much?

I don't think anyone would ever of imagined the type of coin thrown at Hunt and Taylor. It's not like he didn't identify we were lacking one.

He released Taylor from his contract. Yes he may have been ‘ready’ and that’s all well and good for Ash, but Bennett’s responsibility first and foremost was to his employer and I think he lost sight of that.

He released Taylor from his contract. Yes he may have been ‘ready’ and that’s all well and good for Ash, but Bennett’s responsibility first and foremost was to his employer and I think he lost sight of that.
It was madness when he did that

i said a while ago i think bennett has lost that edge that made him a serial winner as he's gotten older. I understand that he's developed more of a "more to life than football" approach and while that's very admirable, he's a football coach first and a pseudo-therapist second. Moves like that reinforce my opinion on it, and i wonder whether Bennett has the fire to get that last couple of % out of his players to get them over the line.
I mean again, compare to Bellamy. I'm not sure how close he is to his players comparative to Bennett, but you'd find it unlikely he'd let a player go cause he needs to be playing elsewhere. Brandon Smith could probably be playing first team elsewhere but he's not being released even though C Smith is playing on for another 2 years.

Bennett's always put his players first, not the club and i avtually dont see anything wrong with that. The Titans approached us about Ash and he wanted to leave anyway. You have to remember we still had Ben Hunt who at the age he was at the time would have blocked the way for Taylor. As I said before, I don't think anyone expected to lose Hunt but then he got a huge offer, and I don't think anyone expected the Titans to overpay so much for Taylor. Bennett only slipped up when you use hindsight imo.

i said a while ago i think bennett has lost that edge that made him a serial winner as he's gotten older. I understand that he's developed more of a "more to life than football" approach and while that's very admirable, he's a football coach first and a pseudo-therapist second. Moves like that reinforce my opinion on it, and i wonder whether Bennett has the fire to get that last couple of % out of his players to get them over the line.
I mean again, compare to Bellamy. I'm not sure how close he is to his players comparative to Bennett, but you'd find it unlikely he'd let a player go cause he needs to be playing elsewhere. Brandon Smith could probably be playing first team elsewhere but he's not being released even though C Smith is playing on for another 2 years.

Brandon wants to stay at Melbourne though. There is a difference between that and the Ash Taylor situation.

My feelings in 2015 on the Taylor release.

Just as this season was beginning to feel too good to be true...

This is a terrible decision by Bennett. Why would you release one of the best juniors in Rugby League when he's still got another year on his contract? How does it benefit the club?

It isn't in Taylor's best interests either. He isn't ready for a full season of NRL just yet and requires more seasoning at a good club. Sending him off to Manly or the Gold Coast will simply hinder his development and prevent him from becoming the player he's destined to be.

Oh well, can't get every decision right.

Tears were always going to be shed over this situation one way or another but you don't show a talent like him the door.

Give him another pre-season, monitor his progress and reassess at a more appropriate time.

Post-Origin is not that time.

All that time and development spent just so we can send him to the Gold Coast or Manly. Something isn't right about that situation.

I'm not going to stick my neck out too far just yet since Taylor hasn't signed anything and could still remain here (doubtful but stranger things have happened) I'll just say I'm no where near convinced that Hunt is good enough to deserve the halfback spot for the next five years.

Once he learns how to control a game, I'll be convinced but right now he's a contract by contract prospect...at best.

What bugs me is that Bennett was all gung-ho about holding onto talent and not letting talent walk out the door. I thought he was full of it then, but to grant the best half coming through a release is just absurd.

If that extends to losing Jayden Nikorima I may have to join in the pile.

https://broncoshq.com/threads/ash-taylor-granted-permission-to-look-elsewhere.26391/

My opinion has never wavered, it was a bad decision by Bennett and the club. If you had have told me in 2015 that Kodi Nikorima was going to be the first choice halfback in 2018-19, I would have been ropeable.

Last edited:
Legit question......

Why do people think that Bennett not releasing Taylor in 2015 means he would be here now?

Legit question......

Why do people think that Bennett not releasing Taylor in 2015 means he would be here now?

We don't, but had Taylor stuck around a year the Broncos would have had a much better chance of retaining him.

Do people actually rate Taylor?
From what I've seen in FG, no. He hasn't really developed since he hit the scene. Decent kicking game but honestly not much else.

Last edited:
From what I've seen in FG, no. He hasn't really developed since he hit the scene. Decent kicking game but honestly not much else.

I have'nt watched him this year, but he seemed like an overhyped version of Lachlan Lewis to me before.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Stix
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • big k
  • Battler
  • RolledOates
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.