Seibold - 5 games in

To be honest mate I am not in the position to make a commentary on who is ready as I have not seen them play. A highlight here and there thats all.

In my opinion there is just potential there. We use to hear the same thing about two brothers in 20s with the last name Nikorima who would be our future.

I agree with everyone it is the spine thats the problem.There is a balance issue. I would first tinker with the 1 or 9 before touching the halfs. I have previously stated i think a direct swap with Boyd and either Bird or Isaako would be the first change and 2nd I would take a long look at the 9. If we had a ready made 9 who could run that actually would change everything for me and it would be Macca that would be under the most pressure

I personally feel our halfs skill set is not being harnessed because we lack an offensive threat out of hooker and only one real threat with our fullback. So we are predictable. Watch how quickly Milf and Kodi are swamped by defending teams. Its because everyone knows our hooker will not run and when he does he actually looks surpised (so its an accident) and our fullback will only get involved in the sweep.

This is why i am not going to say its on Seibs. We have had the same problems over the last few years but they have only gotten worse as A- our spine is still the same and therefore worked out and B- there is some players there that are older and have reached their development peeks. Throw in a couple of serious injurys such as Maccas knee and Boyds total body and you have a spine with few weapons, dull blades and blunt points.

I think at the Moment, Seibold has to take some of the responsibility. I do keep saying it, but I think he is bottling the big decisions. It could well be he is giving certain players a fair chance so nobody can say he hasn't tried to get the best out of them.

I personally don't think this team is anywhere near as bad as our results suggest. He basically just tinkered with a Michael McGuire side and got good results, so I can't see why he isn't doing the same here.

Last edited:
Appreciate your thoughts but if WB was that much of an anachronism how is it that he was the second most successful coach of the last 5 years ? I may be wrong about that but I don't think so. I'm not sorry he moved on because last years poor defence was on him but I wished he'd been allowed to finish his contract but no matter, that's not what this post is really about.

Well again statistic don't always tell the story with a football team. I think you are right that the percentage was quite descent, but apart of that was inclusive of 2015. Come to the crunch and there results weren't there when it counted.

@Wolfie @Huge I believe hes was left behind in areas of the game such as PTB, defense patterns and player roster choices. I know i don't agree with the way the game has headed with wrestles, turtle-ing, lazy markers but this is what the game demands now to get that advantage. Wayne likes classic style halves and a classic style hooker which worked in the 90/00 years. It was fine for the first year in 15, as it was different to the current game, but it became predicable and easy to shut down.

Well again statistic don't always tell the story with a football team. I think you are right that the percentage was quite descent, but apart of that was inclusive of 2015. Come to the crunch and there results weren't there when it counted.

@Wolfie @Huge I believe hes was left behind in areas of the game such as PTB, defense patterns and player roster choices. I know i don't agree with the way the game has headed with wrestles, turtle-ing, lazy markers but this is what the game demands now to get that advantage. Wayne likes classic style halves and a classic style hooker which worked in the 90/00 years. It was fine for the first year in 15, as it was different to the current game, but it became predicable and easy to shut down.

Well, i dont buy that he has been left behind that much, if at all. An inconsistent year in 2018 and still only one win away from finishing on a par with Melbourne and the Rorters, and Souths dont seem to be suffering one bit from switching from a modern style coach to Bennetts game plan.

Just watchin the Rabbits v Warriors game - it could not be more depressing looking at Cook, Reynolds and Cody Walker and how they are playing and then think back to Thursday night and how our muppets performed. These 3 souths blokes in particular are fucking dynamic.

Yep, and now they've got Supercoach Bennett at the helm, the sky is the limit. Souths are looking the business this year.

Well, i dont buy that he has been left behind that much, if at all. An inconsistent year in 2018 and still only one win away from finishing on a par with Melbourne and the Rorters, and Souths dont seem to be suffering one bit from switching from a modern style coach to Bennetts game plan.
Bennett's teams always have been very capable in the regular season, which is where he earns all the lofty stats.

The finals show a completely different picture, where they more often than not can't up a gear and are literally left behind by the true contenders, simply because they don't have another level tactically, and need all the stars to align like 2006 and 2015 showed.
There is only one other year under Bennett in this millennium where I thought we could go all the way, and I still hate Ashton Sims for that heartache.

Wayne won't do any damage at Souths, they are a pretty good side. He’s used to coaching the Burgiii and they’re used to him. They have an excellent spine and he’s always wanted to coach Walker and Inglis - if he gets the chance. No wonder you can't wipe the smile off his face he’s happy.

Now what about Seibs?
Souths begged him to stay there and apart from being in his comfort zone he could well have been on the way to his first premiership had he chose to.

Instead he chose to challenge himself and take on a group of largely young developing players wth a heap of potential and not much else. Throw in some old hard heads to add experience and start the process. He would have known it was going to take some time to mould the side into something resembling a top four team but what he may not have known was how many club supporters weren’t prepared to give him that time. In all honesty we need to give him some slack and above all some support.

We could be a club like Newcastle and go to the market place where we can offer overs and buy a bunch of experienced guys, mostly towards the end of their careers and then have bugger all to look forward too. They have a great spine, a young coach and Ponga. They are getting the same results.

However, I am happy for our club to do it our way. The future looks so bright and I know we are going to make it.

I am more then happy to give Seibs all the time he needs, be patient, take the good with the bad and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Bennett's teams always have been very capable in the regular season, which is where he earns all the lofty stats.

The finals show a completely different picture, where they more often than not can't up a gear and are literally left behind by the true contenders, simply because they don't have another level tactically, and need all the stars to align like 2006 and 2015 showed.
There is only one other year under Bennett in this millennium where I thought we could go all the way, and I still hate Ashton Sims for that heartache.

I think six premierships show he is pretty capable in finals as well.

I dont think we didnt have another level tactically personally, i think in days gone by it was Origin that burnt out our players to a point where we spent up all our energy making sure we made finals and we didnt have a lot left in the tank.

Are you talking about the 7 time premiership winning coach, not being able to perform in the finals? That’ll fucking do me.

Wayne won't do any damage at Souths, they are a pretty good side. He’s used to coaching the Burgiii and they’re used to him. They have an excellent spine and he’s always wanted to coach Walker and Inglis - if he gets the chance. No wonder you can't wipe the smile off his face he’s happy.

Now what about Seibs?
Souths begged him to stay there and apart from being in his comfort zone he could well have been on the way to his first premiership had he chose to.

Instead he chose to challenge himself and take on a group of largely young developing players wth a heap of potential and not much else. Throw in some old hard heads to add experience and start the process. He would have known it was going to take some time to mould the side into something resembling a top four team but what he may not have known was how many club supporters weren’t prepared to give him that time. In all honesty we need to give him some slack and above all some support.

We could be a club like Newcastle and go to the market place where we can offer overs and buy a bunch of experienced guys, mostly towards the end of their careers and then have bugger all to look forward too. They have a great spine, a young coach and Ponga. They are getting the same results.

However, I am happy for our club to do it our way. The future looks so bright and I know we are going to make it.

I am more then happy to give Seibs all the time he needs, be patient, take the good with the bad and enjoy the ride.

I like how Seibs does things, and i think it will turn around, but i'll always maintain that he has to make finals every year. Barring a bad injury run, there is no excuse and neither should there be. Thats just the expectation and pressure that comes with being a coach of the Broncos.

I like how Seibs does things, and i think it will turn around, but i'll always maintain that he has to make finals every year. Barring a bad injury run, there is no excuse and neither should there be. Thats just the expectation and pressure that comes with being a coach of the Broncos.
That’s a given - when he gets this side up to speed. It'll be demanded not expected but what I do expect of him is to deliver when that happens. He’s not fine tuning at the minute he is building and experimenting. That is determining what Carrigan, Flegler and the likes are able and prepared to give. Clearly it’s a work in progress that only time can fix. Too many of us expected a premiership this year after all the media talk and goings on but now the dust has settled can see how difficult that is going to be.

That’s a given - when he gets this side up to speed. It'll be demanded not expected but what I do expect of him is to deliver when that happens. He’s not fine tuning at the minute he is building and experimenting. That is determining what Carrigan, Flegler and the likes are able and prepared to give. Clearly it’s a work in progress that only time can fix. Too many of us expected a premiership this year after all the media talk and goings on but now the dust has settled can see how difficult that is going to be.

My expectation hasn't changed for this year tbh, we should be competitive towards the top end of the ladder.

I think six premierships show he is pretty capable in finals as well.

I dont think we didnt have another level tactically personally, i think in days gone by it was Origin that burnt out our players to a point where we spent up all our energy making sure we made finals and we didnt have a lot left in the tank.
Are you talking about the 7 time premiership winning coach, not being able to perform in the finals? That’ll fucking do me.
5 of which from a different cap free era, and I did mention this millennium...

Last edited:
5 of which from a different cap free era, and I did mention this millennium...
He’s won three this millenium, more legitimate premierships than anyone else.

Attachments

• 00488448-E5B4-4AA3-A21F-58E1C5AC0015.jpeg
    00488448-E5B4-4AA3-A21F-58E1C5AC0015.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

I know there’s a lot of financial factors and the like that come with finals being a standard, and of course in a sense it should be, unless we have a season with an absolutely diabolical roster or mass injuries ....

but if it can be seen that a new plan is slowly working and shows true promise of success, but costs us one season where we come 9th, is it really that big a deal? I’d rather that then sneaking into 7th or 8th and getting blasted out first week in embarrassing fashion like last year. Of course there’s no guarantee that it will successful, so it’s a risk for everyone, but we can’t keep doing the same thing hoping 5/6/7/8th time is the charm

5 weeks in and I think it is time to make some tough calls. Way too many underperforming players. I feel like he's picking players that aren't going to work in the structures he wants us to play. The Forwards have no hope when there is no organiser in the team. The team has no hope when there is no leadership.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Bish
  • Morepudding
  • Morkel
  • Fozz
  • john1420
  • sooticus
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • Big Del
  • Mister Wright
  • Bucking Beads
  • Lurker
  • The Strapper
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
  • Tim K
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.