Seibold General Discussion

Someone refresh my memory. Why was seibold so keen to coach the broncos this year?
Five year contract, guaranteed huge $$ whether he goes well or not. If he gets the sack the club can afford it.

Why wait for the Broncos to move on someone else? Clearly the club wanted Bennett out ASAP.

Last edited:
Five year contract, guaranteed huge $$ whether he goes well or not. If he gets the sack the club can afford it.

Why wait for the Broncos to move on someone else? Clearly the club wanted Bennett out ASAP.

I guess in hindsight they could have let Bennett stay this year to get these kids mentally prepared and seibold could have had another years experience with an established team at Souths.

We'll never outbid the Roosters if they want Trent.
We could, but we seemingly don't want to.

We can outbid anyone. But, perhaps because BBL is a public company as opposed to private, we never seem to really open the purse strings on a big hire. The capacity is there to pay $2m+ for a coach and then perhaps go beyond if the Roosters or whoever were to match. For some reason the internal machinations would stop it.

We'll never outbid the Roosters if they want Trent.
It may be a matter of Robinson getting bored or wanting a new challenge that might help him to come to us.

We could, but we seemingly don't want to.

We can outbid anyone. But, perhaps because BBL is a public company as opposed to private, we never seem to really open the purse strings on a big hire. The capacity is there to pay $2m+ for a coach and then perhaps go beyond if the Roosters or whoever were to match. For some reason the internal machinations would stop it.

Whilst we could in theory afford to pay a coach $2+ mil, isn’t there a coaching salary cap now?

I'm still a fan TBH. The side we have is the youngest in the comp, there is a tonne of talent.

With so much youth comes inconsistency.

What people are forgetting is only 2 games we played badly enough to get well beaten. Every other game we were in it up to our eyeballs.

I'm still as excited as I was when we signed Seibold, and lets be honest, we probably wouldn't be any better under Bennett. Also under Bennett Kodi is still our halfback, we aren't as fit, and we probably would never have gotten close to the Dragons and Raiders.

I'm sorry I can't be fickle, I'm staying the course, I believe in what Seibold is trying to do, he is tweaking as required, working on what needs to be worked on, not panicking and making constant changes .... in Seibold I trust.... to quote the man himself... I'm rusted on. Have faith and support them through it. If I didn't live 12 hours away I would be at every game cheering whatever the result.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Just to clarify, Sacking Seibs would cost us millions in coaching/football department salary cap space, seriously hindering our chances of getting another decent coach

Whilst we could probably afford the 37% luxury tax, no board of a publicly listed company would rule in favour let alone survive any such attempt.

any coach sacked this year will have his wages or any financial settlement counted as part of the club's $5.7 million ceiling on football department expenditure, along with the cost of hiring a replacement.

In addition, clubs who exceed the football department salary cap will be liable for a 37 per cent luxury tax on the amount they have overspent

Last edited:
Whilst we could probably afford the 37% luxury tax, no board of a publicly listed company would rule in favour let alone survive any such attempt.
Not saying this is on the cards for us but if poor performances continued this year and well into next, crowds, merch, memberships nosedived, I’d say the board would absolutely pull the trigger if a better option was available.

I guess in hindsight they could have let Bennett stay this year to get these kids mentally prepared and seibold could have had another years experience with an established team at Souths.
Having a season in limbo by keeping an outgoing coach is significantly worse in my opinion. I don't buy into this "another year of experience bull shit". If you're good enough, no point in waiting.
After all Seibold didn't suddenly give up a career as a mechanic to be South's head coach in 2018. He's been involved in coaching and systems for years. He is astute, a student of the game and is mentally tough enough in his principles to handle the role.

In addition, clubs who exceed the football department salary cap will be liable for a 37 per cent luxury tax on the amount they have overspent.

you don't think we can afford the luxury tax, if it came to that ... it's not like we are a Sydney club

Just to clarify, Sacking Seibs would cost us millions in coaching/football department salary cap space, seriously hindering our chances of getting another decent coach

any coach sacked this year will have his wages or any financial settlement counted as part of the club's $5.7 million ceiling on football department expenditure, along with the cost of hiring a replacement.

In addition, clubs who exceed the football department salary cap will be liable for a 37 per cent luxury tax on the amount they have overspent

I had no idea of those monetary implications.
Looks like the broncos couldn’t sack siebold even if they wanted to.
Just shows the idiocy of signing him to a long term deal with no performance benchmarks in place.

I had no idea of those monetary implications.
Looks like the broncos couldn’t sack siebold even if they wanted to.
Just shows the idiocy of signing him to a long term deal with no performance benchmarks in place.

If they want to sack him they will ... but unlike the fans they won't panic and will give him a chance to build his team and show what he has.

he has already started making the tough calls (and ones Bennett would be unlikely to make)... i.e. telling Nikorima he would only be the bench utility moving forward; the reports of him dropping Isaako and Roberts as well; He gave Bennett's team a chance to prove themselves and they haven't performed. the rest better lift their games if they want to avoid the axe.

If they want to sack him they will ... but unlike the fans they won't panic and will give him a chance to build his team and show what he has.

he has already started making the tough calls (and ones Bennett would be unlikely to make)... i.e. telling Nikorima he would only be the bench utility moving forward; the reports of him dropping Isaako and Roberts as well; He gave Bennett's team a chance to prove themselves and they haven't performed. the rest better lift their games if they want to avoid the axe.
Spot on.

a CEO will never be sacked when he has lead a business to their most profitable time in history. especially for a decision that was made by the entire board and not unilaterally by the CEO

in fact, i read that he is off contract at seasons end and i have absolutely zero doubts that the club will be doing everything in their power to keep him ... given that he is one of the highest regarded sports administrators in the country, the club may need to open their cheque book and dig deep to retain him.
I cannot believe anyone thinks the board makes decisions!! Everyone knows WB makes all the decisions.

Really? Naturally I think this is a great post. ****, another benefit would have been that we could have seen how Seibold handled any adversity should it happen to Souths plus the many disgruntled fans of WB would have seen WB go out the way he wanted, a much more dignified exit. Still, would have should have could have. Ahh, hindsight. If only someone had of said I don't think the situation is untenable. Oh wait...

After having some time to digest the past few weeks, I agree with some others here who have said we have to give Seibold at least the next year and a half to prove what he is capable of and to have the opportunity to get his own team playing the type of football he wants, rather than WB's team/style of play.

Regardless, he is only 2 months into a 6 year contract. If Danny Weedler is to be believed, he has a 6th year in his favour, so we should all hope to god things work out with the coach and I am optimistic he will get us there. It might just take a fair bit longer than we all hoped initially. He is at least/last starting to make some positive and necessary changes with the team, i.e. dropping Roberts, Isaako, blooding Dearden etc.

Last edited:
How the hell did a one year head coach get a FIVE YEAR contract with an option for another year in his favour. WTF!

for a start never believe Weidler ... that idiot has NFI

and the only reason it was a 5 year deal is because the coach swapped happened a year early

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • Harry Sack
  • Wolfie
  • Foordy
  • Manofoneway
  • Wild Horse
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • TimWhatley
  • Morepudding
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Gaz
  • Broncosgirl
  • bert_lifts
  • Santa
  • Morkel
  • BRC088
  • barker
  • Battler
  • Financeguy
  • broncos4life
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.