Seibold signs with Broncos for 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
My immediate disappointment will be quickly replaced by relief when Bennett retires from coaching and we aren't the ones being left with a 4th string emergency coach like last time.

How will everyone feel if Wayne wins a premiership with the rabbits next year? I’m sure this forum will blow up.

I would be pissed if they beat us at any stage during the finals but very happy that WB would reinforce his status as one of the greats of all time.
Recently personal/personality issues have overshadowed his achievements but he deserves far more respect than what he is currently being given.

I would be pissed if they beat us at any stage during the finals but very happy that WB would reinforce his status as one of the greats of all time.
Recently personal/personality issues have overshadowed his achievements but he deserves far more respect than what he is currently being given.

In my mind, if the Broncs don't win the premiership, I'd probably prefer the Rabbits out of the rest. Although, anyone other than the storm, roosters and sharks I could probably put up with.

If a swap does happens now, how good would a bunnies vs broncos final be though.

Old GOAT coach vs 2nd year wannabe with massive future (that swapped places)
Young forward pack with all the potential in the world vs Sam (one of the best going around) and the burgii bros
Inglis vs Boyd, QLD's highest ever try scorers, old centre and wing partners

**** no, Why would we want Wayne winning the comp with the Rabbits????

Do you honestly think Wayne would want us to win, the only trophy Wayne would want us winning any time soon would be the wooden spoon

That a premature swap is even being contemplated is a disgrace. 2019 should be about the dual goals of a premiership and sending off WB, the central plank of the Broncos structure. I will be disappointed if he is not the coach for 2019.

I am yet to hear why it's so important the swap happens now. What is the danger that makes the current arrangement impossible to bear?

How will everyone feel if Wayne wins a premiership with the rabbits next year? I’m sure this forum will blow up.
I would be pissed, but not at bennett or the club but at the bs we would cop in the media and from other fans, and worst of all the bs that would turn up on here...

There are so many variables that go into winning a premiership. I actually think bennett is a great fit for souths (something to prove, premiership window with mature players, powerful club) so it wouldnt suprise me but i dont think he would have got one here.

I think bennett is the greatest coach of all time and will always bring the best out of players but he has gotten a little too comfortable up here since missing out in 2015. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I myself wouldnt have done it either but a cleanout was needed with a new approach after 2015. We missed our window with the small forwards and running halves game style that bennett used when the interchanges went down and fatigue was an issue-the other coaches manipulated it so that it wasnt an issue again and the nrl let them = our small forwards were getting over ran in defence and in attack and our running halves had no tired forwards to target or forward roll to play off.
Our defence has also gone backwards, and thats the big issue for me. We were giving up big metres in the middle and that worked in 2015 when we used the energy saved to defend our line with ferocity and boyd being in the line was a benefit rather then a harm. We have changed it to suit the current situation but it has never caught up. The obvious lack of wrestle is great for the game but its time we get off the high horse and go to the dark side a lot more with it because the nrl dont give a shit.

Bennett was in the process of fixing all this but I dont think he would have been ruthless enough with the team list (he has worried more and more about the players above the club over the last few years) and not-stubborn enough to completly change his tactics enough within 2 years to win a premiership-at souths he doesnt have to, he gets to start fresh with a squad and a gameplan that is very similar to one which would improve in the above areas already. I honestly see him winning a premierhsip there, i just hope this place doesnt get tunnel vision and think bennett = premiership that year at any club, becasue it wouldnt have happened here the way it will probably happen there.

Sorry for the long reply..

That a premature swap is even being contemplated is a disgrace. 2019 should be about the dual goals of a premiership and sending off WB, the central plank of the Broncos structure. I will be disappointed if he is not the coach for 2019.

Well.............. that 'fairytale' probably got crossed off the list when we were totally humiliated by an out of form Dragons side in a finals game at home in front of a massive crowd.

I am yet to hear why it's so important the swap happens now. What is the danger that makes the current arrangement impossible to bear?
Yeah let’s keep him on and let him talk a group of players into leaving like he did last time, Bulldogs will love it if they can poach another 4.

Last edited:

They were always a chance regardless. They have a very injury prone squad though - if they lose Arey for an extended period they’re cooked. If they lose sb for an extended period they’re cooked. If they lose gi they’re cooked.

Plus they succeeded last year on the back of Cook and their left hand attack, all of which Seibold should be credited with. I doubt Bennett will use Cook as effectively as Seibold did.

If Seibold brings Gentle with him that is a fantastic thing, West and G6 were ruthless in those days. Much better than JD.

Last edited:
Yeah let’s keep him on and let him talk a group of players into leaving like he did last time, Bulldogs will love it if they can poach another 4.
Who did he 'talk into leaving last time'? Furthermore, what evidence do you have he did any such thing? Even more though, how could he talk players into leaving if they are contracted? Also, while you're coming up with reasons and evidence you might contemplate that Siebold is in the same position although I think your claim is a pile of unsubstantiated bullshit.

Who did he 'talk into leaving last time'? Furthermore, what evidence do you have he did any such thing? Even more though, how could he talk players into leaving if they are contracted? Also, while you're coming up with reasons and evidence you might contemplate that Siebold is in the same position although I think your claim is a pile of unsubstantiated bullshit.

Huge FFS man give it a rest. You are a like a dog with a bone in constantly trying to provoke an argument with anyone that gives reasons why its potential untenable.

Its pretty simple. Neither club serves to benefit with the coaches staying on for their final year. Both clubs have players off contract at year end, both clubs are in a position for a premiership window. There would be accusations of either coach preparing for next season with their new club, talks of player talks etc. If they swap now, none of that can happen, no bombshells, no looming media crap, no stupid questions all season, no excluding the coach from discussions for 2020...the list goes on. As a professional sporting and business entity - it is purely untenable. No matter how professional any party stays, the operation of business becomes restricted.

If you feel that WB is a better coach than Seibold, than that's ok, i am sure many people do. The decision has been made that's the bottom line. As professional as players are, they do need some stability around coaching styles and the sooner either coach swaps, the sooner each time adjusts. The sooner team adjusts, the sooner they can win the comp.

Last edited:
If the swap is going to happen, it needs to happen in the next week or two at the start of the pre-season. Any delays after that are going to be super detrimental to pre-season prep.

The media....

I was originally of the same opinion as you but the media has won....

Whilst it would be nice to say “stuff them, the club dont have to buckle to the media or what others want”, we saw how constant negative press and scrutiny about the future of the coach destroyed our focus this year. Itd be 10 x the media gauntlet in 2019 then it was in 2018...

Bennett deserves a nice fairwell tour, i dont think he would tear the club apart, we will come no closer to winning a premiership next year due to coaching abilites.... but we would absolutely COP IT all year in the media. It wouldnt go the way your thinking, bennett wont get a JT-like fairwell ride from the media, itd be more like a SBW-leaving the bulldogs-type media exposure. They hate the broncos in sydney, but they hate bennett more and they can smell blood in the water-they were bad enough the last 2-3 years after he returned from newcastle.. Lets get on with it and just tear the bloody band aid off...

giphy.gif

Huge FFS man give it a rest. You are a like a dog with a bone in constantly trying to provoke an argument with anyone that gives reasons why its potential untenable.

Its pretty simple. Neither club serves to benefit with the coaches staying on for their final year. Both clubs have players off contract at year end, both clubs are in a position for a premiership window. There would be accusations of either coach preparing for next season with their new club, talks of player talks etc. If they swap now, none of that can happen, no bombshells, no looming media crap, no stupid questions all season, no excluding the coach from discussions for 2020...the list goes on. As a professional sporting and business entity - it is purely untenable. No matter how professional any party stays, the operation of business becomes restricted.

If you feel that WB is a better coach than Seibold, than that's ok, i am sure many people do. The decision has been made that's the bottom line. As professional as players are, they do need some stability around coaching styles and the sooner either coach swaps, the sooner each time adjusts. The sooner team adjusts, the sooner they can win the comp.
Oh, so you identified precisely one potential problem, great stuff. Namely, there would be accusations that either coach is preparing for next season. Wow. That's it then hey ? So what if there's questions? Has it ever been something WB couldn't handle in his inimitable style? Rugby league as a game is not complex so planning for 2020 without the current coachs imput shouldn't be a problem and it's no different than any other season that a coach gets punted in.

When you have no real reasons you use phrases like 'the list goes on'. I don't see that there players talking would be any greater than usual and players all have contracts so it's not as if they can simply stroll out the door. No, there's no real reason why it's the stupidly described 'untenable'. For adults it shouldn't be too hard at all.

Absolutely spot on.

There is no reason the swap must happen now. It would be a total disgrace if we let Wayne go prematurely.

Like you said, 2019 has to be about us winning the premiership and thanking Wayne for making us who we are and honoring him. We are what we are because of Wayne. 6 premierships and a successful history. Let's give him a proper and well deserved send off and also look forward to the future. Do the Broncos stand for anything? Seibold can come in 2020 but for 2019, we can definitely have Wayne at the helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.