Seibold signs with Broncos for 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just read the article ( thanks BP ) and I didn't see anything in it where he discusses the Broncos cap position. It appears that all four players were unwanted by Brisbane and received some quite reasonable advice from WB. One player describing it as WB not having his coaches hat on and acting as a friend. Wow, he acted in the best interests of the players, what a ****. Cannot see any evidence that he lured anyone away from the Broncos.
Thats good. Im actually glad to hear that. Even if it did say that he did it, i wouldnt trust the media. You dont think its a bit suspicious that these 4 players only left once he did though? And greg eastwood and michael ennis were definetly wanted back then. Ennis was very highly regarded as a young hooker and eastwood was a kiwi rep already i believe.

Im unsure why you have replied to this post and not the other 2 where i replied when you asked repeatedly for evidence about why we should replace bennett earlier.....

THE expected exodus from the Broncos' stable is under way, but it is the cashed-up Bulldogs, not Wayne Bennett's Dragons, who have landed the most telling blow.

There had been widespread hysteria that players would flock to follow Bennett to St George Illawarra next season, but the big money on offer at Belmore was what drew prop Ben Hannant – the one off-contract Bronco the club desperately wanted to retain.

Hannant, who made his Origin debut for Queensland last week, confirmed yesterday he will join the Bulldogs on a three-year deal worth close to $350,000 a season.

The deal was secured after Hannant, 23, employed player manager George Mimis on Bennett's recommendation.

The $1 million-plus contract is worth $100,000 a season more than Brisbane was willing to offer.

"I'm stoked – it's a good deal and I'm very happy with it," Hannant said.

"It's a great opportunity to take my football to a new level, to keep growing as a person and a player and to learn off new people.

"The Bulldogs are a strong club with a great football culture so it's great for me. It has secured my family's future for the next few years."

Hannant won't be the last Bronco to go, with hooker Michael Ennis also tipped to link with the Bulldogs and young winger Rodney Davies to return to rugby union with the Reds.

Utility David Stagg and winger Darius Boyd have until May 31 to decide on their options for next season, but after being told to look elsewhere they are unlikely to stay.

Hannant's defection is the one that has hurt the Broncos most.

"In the end, we didn't even table an offer," Brisbane CEO Bruno Cullen said.

"We couldn't go close to matching the contract being offered by the Bulldogs. It would have been insulting to Ben and his family to expect him to stay here for so much less."

Coach-in-waiting Ivan Henjak admitted the loss of the blossoming Queensland Origin prop had stung the club which has nurtured him from a reserve grader at the Roosters to an Origin representative.

"We're really sad we're losing him. It was a sad day for me, and I told Ben that," Henjak said.

"I told him the day I was appointed that we really wanted him to stay and that there was a big future for him at this club.

"He was a top priority for us."

The signing of star centre Israel Folau from Melbourne tightened the club's salary cap situation and contract options in favour of Ennis, Stagg and Boyd further complicated negotiations, but Brisbane was ultimately unwilling to match Canterbury's offer.

Ennis is weighing up an offer from Parramatta. St George Illawarra, previously touted as a potential home for him, is out of the running for the in-form hooker.

Hannant's signature caps an aggressive raid from the Dogs, who have also secured Sharks halfback Brett Kimmorley and Dragons centre Josh Morris for next season.

With the Broncos deciding against offering Davies a new contract, Reds coach Phil Mooney confirmed the former schoolboys rugby union star was poised to play in the Super 14 next season.

Source; Courier Mail via The Kennel

Bennett's side of the story:

"Even so, there were times during this final season when I had to manage emotions, never more so than when a number of players came to me at different times seeking advice after they were told that they would have to find a new place to play in 2009. Blokes like prop Ben Hannant and hooker Michael Ennis, who were having tremendous seasons, were placed in the difficult situation of having to consider offers from other teams. In the past I would have been the one making these personal decisions but it was no longer my call."

Man In The Mirror p 332-333.

If you put those sides together, a player like Hannant was offered a huge deal by the Dogs that the Broncos weren't interested in competing with and Bennett told him to take the deal.

Thats good. Im actually glad to hear that. Even if it did say that he did it, i wouldnt trust the media. You dont think its a bit suspicious that these 4 players only left once he did though? And greg eastwood and michael ennis were definetly wanted back then. Ennis was very highly regarded as a young hooker and eastwood was a kiwi rep already i believe.

Im unsure why you have replied to this post and not the other 2 where i replied when you asked repeatedly for evidence about why we should replace bennett earlier.....

Eastwood was released to link up with McLennan at Leeds. That deal fell through due to Eastwood's DUI charge from 2006 and Eastwood found himself choosing between the Warriors and the Bulldogs.

Stagg was released in December since he was behind Te'o and Setu in the picking order.

I don't recall the Broncos making Ennis an offer - St. George Illawarra and Parramatta were the contenders for his signature.

He informed other clubs which players where going to be on unders with us due to the cap then told all of them to take the money elsewhere. Left us in no better shape then he did Drangons or Newcastle, sack him now before he gets a 2nd chance.

Our club was too tight to pay them what they were worth but yet they forked out mega money for Folau
If we kept Hannant Eastwood and Ennis at the time we most likely have another title to our name

Our club was too tight to pay them what they were worth but yet they forked out mega money for Folau
If we kept Hannant Eastwood and Ennis at the time we most likely have another title to our name
Hannant and eastwood would have got us a title? Take me now, ive heard it all....

Last edited:
Evidence: 2018. If you think the media will suddenly start praising bennett and give him a fairytale send off from the broncos you are taking some strong drugs mate. The media hate bennett and they can smell blood. I also think he deserves a great send off and that he truly loves the club and wouldnt tear it apart BUT we have lost to the media. They have got their man and there is no point being stubborn about it, tear the band-aid off quick. There was a chance for the players to “play for bennett” and they blew it big time-its obvious the media pressure outweighed the “play for bennett” motto, and yes the biggest club jn the nrl is always under pressure but its not the same type of innuendo and instability pressure we had last year and we will have 10X more of if bennett stays...
You start with the classic strawman. I don't think the media will change and start praising WB and nothing I wrote indicates that so best you slip some of those drugs into your own bloodstream. I don't believe for a moment that criticism of the Broncos will increase ten fold and in fact I think that success on the field will keep the baying hounds quiet. Really, the only reasons offered for this must make decision seem pretty weak. It appears that those that want WB gone and those that want the Broncos to struggle have latched on to this agenda but few seem to understand why it's supposedly so critical. I hope WB takes the reigns at training shortly and everyone can settle down and have a nice holiday season.

You start with the classic strawman. I don't think the media will change and start praising WB and nothing I wrote indicates that so best you slip some of those drugs into your own bloodstream. I don't believe for a moment that criticism of the Broncos will increase ten fold and in fact I think that success on the field will keep the baying hounds quiet. Really, the only reasons offered for this must make decision seem pretty weak. It appears that those that want WB gone and those that want the Broncos to struggle have latched on to this agenda but few seem to understand why it's supposedly so critical. I hope WB takes the reigns at training shortly and everyone can settle down and have a nice holiday season.
Yep you are right, the media are nice people and they never carry on. As long as we win every game and are top of the table all year I am also sure they will stay at bay. But if we play the way we have the last 3 years (more likely) then they will hammer us more and more as the year goes on. That ended well for us this year. Ive got evidence (2018), yours is pie in the sky stuff (success on the field will keep them at bay-hold on while I let paul white know we just have to keep winning. He will be excited you have finally told us all the secret to keeping the media at bay, sounds easy enough too)

playing as shit as the Henjak days and sometimes worse than the Griffin days.

you have that back the front ... Henjak was much worse than Griffin

Last edited:
Would I be wrong in saying we have had the second highest win rate in the NRL since Bennett has returned?

If so, how have we not been a consistent team? Only Melbourne have done better in the last 4 years, and even they got embarrassed in a grand final by a team with a 1 arm half back.

Andrew McCullough calls for decision on Wayne Bennett future
Broncos veteran Andrew McCullough has appealed for Brisbane bosses to end the coaching circus at Red Hill by making a swift determination on the future of Wayne Bennett.
McCullough on Thursday became the first Broncos player to speak candidly about the Bennett-Anthony Seibold saga, urging Brisbane hierarchy to provide clarity for the sake of their 2019 title ambitions.
Underlining the growing tension and uncertainty at Red Hill, Bennett’s first day at Broncos training on Thursday descended into high farce.
e5106a0194a872608ea705eb36649db2

Wary of prying media, the veteran coach refused to appear on the playing field, instead watching his troops from the sanctuary of his office in Brisbane’s $27 million high-performance facility.
Bennett could be forced to clear out his office within days, with the seven-time premiership-winning coach due to meet Broncos chairman Karl Morris by the weekend.
While McCullough has enormous respect for, and loyalty to, Bennett, the 236-game Broncos stalwart concedes it’s time for Brisbane and Souths powerbrokers to consider a straight swap.
Asked if he wants the coaching saga resolved urgently, McCullough said: “Yes. Everyone just needs to move forward in the right direction, one way or another.
ec7a0f3581799661813d277c3af5c421

Bennett didn’t leave the building during Thursday’s session. Picture: Annette Dew
efe5783d5d42ed2b12cce40fb5bdeae2

Bennett watched on from the facility as his side trained. Picture: Annette Dew
“I will leave it to the bosses, for the time being Wayne is here.
“I can’t help how things are dealt. Even our most experienced guys like Darius Boyd, our captain, can’t give a clear answer straight away (on the coaching situation).
“We’ve had a brief chat as a playing group, Wayne has been away for a fair while.
“There’s some media scrutiny but we’ve said ‘Let’s get on with it’ and Wayne can deal with the bosses upstairs.”
Bennett won’t depart easily. The 68-year-old’s contract with the Broncos next season is worth $900,000 and he has every right under employment law to see out the final 12 months of his current deal.
e745d4079bb4dafeef2563be42c680a6

Andrew McCullough wants a decision made on Bennett’s future. (AAP Image/Darren England)
The Broncos will likely attempt to broker a compensation package, but Bennett won’t accept a cut-price payout. If Brisbane want to bring Seibold to Red Hill in the coming weeks, Bennett will demand every cent he is legally owed.
McCullough says Broncos players would have no issue accepting Seibold. Brisbane are under pressure to break the club’s 13-year title drought after last season’s finals debacle against the Dragons and McCullough believes certainty and stability is vital.
“This is not ideal,” he said.
“It happens in the NRL. Clubs always go through so-called dramas or different circumstances to what they want, so we have to get on with it as a group.
“As players it’s the unknown. We can only be guided by what Wayne (Bennett) says and he will be here at the moment and we’ll go from there.
“There’s plenty of big guys (Broncos management) upstairs who make the big calls and the tough decisions. We have a big year ahead, we have lost some experience this year.
“If it comes to that (Bennett being sacked), it’s a business where you adapt to different circumstances.
“In this game, you have to be able to adapt to different scenarios. It’s more important at this time of the year that we get fit and get ready on the field.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...e/news-story/f7b1f4babac29985127619135a0209a6

Hannant and eastwood would have got us a title? Take me now, ive heard it all....
Back then they were both oustanding young players but it might be a stretch to say a title was in the bag with them. I remember Eastwood in particular being a devastating runner.

Eastwood
Back then they were both oustanding young players but it might be a stretch to say a title was in the bag with them. I remember Eastwood in particular being a devastating runner.
You're dead right in his day Eastwood was capable of turning a game for the Broncs when they seemed to be struggling. I never ever warmed to Innis and his niggle though.

Jaysus guys, been away past 24 hours and see news report about Benny escaping media packs by laying down in the back seat of his getaway car....is this for real?! I want Bennett gone without question, and he will be very soon, but byjesus, this media circus is getting ridiculous!

You have to feel sorry for the poor players in all this.

Jaysus guys, been away past 24 hours and see news report about Benny escaping media packs by laying down in the back seat of his getaway car....is this for real?! I want Bennett gone without question, and he will be very soon, but byjesus, this media circus is getting ridiculous!

Stop trying to make it a thing. He was having fun with it and personally messaged the media to let them know he had done it. The players would be laughing their heads off. They'd know way more than us and they seem fine with everything going on. Stop trying to find something else to blame Bennett for. Its an absolute joke

Yes i must admit i am a bit concerned at how this will affect the players [emoji848]

Stop trying to make it a thing. He was having fun with it and personally messaged the media to let them know he had done it. The players would be laughing their heads off. They'd know way more than us and they seem fine with everything going on. Stop trying to find something else to blame Bennett for. Its an absolute joke

Ok ok sorry, sheesh. I just saw the headline and wondered what it was all about is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.