Seibold signs with Broncos for 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I know Bennett, if he’s pulling these antics, not only is he well on top of things, but the old bugger is making sure he enjoys his last few years in the spotlight. All the best to him.

Wayne Bennett forced to watching Broncos training from his office as coaching farce drags on
7378d728d8df93db1397dcd7f96614a1

Wayne Bennett is a prisoner in his own palace.
If there is a living, breathing example to adequately capture Brisbane’s messy handling of the succession plan for Bennett, it was laid bare at 10.11am at Red Hill.
For Brisbane’s big guns like skipper Darius Boyd and veteran hooker Andrew McCullough, it was their first day back at training for the 2019 pre-season.
Their first session represented the embryonic steps in Brisbane’s quest to break a 13-year premiership drought next season.
It was also the first day back for Bennett.
292af60017f76324487c15cb113c2179

No wonder the Broncos look slightly confused. (Annette Dew)
Fresh from masterminding England’s 2-1 Test series defeat of New Zealand in the UK, Bennett should have been front and centre on Red Hill’s freshly-manicured turf, the Big Boss watching his troops from close range with his trademark crooked grin.
Instead, Bennett was, metaphorically speaking, behind bars at the Broncos.
The coaching circus — and Brisbane management’s confusing communication amid the pursuit of Bennett’s successor Anthony Seibold — has forced this bizarre, nonsensical incarceration.
f134c63f98d15e64a1a8405a5b22abd6

Wayne Bennett forced to watch from his office. (Annette Dew)
As Broncos players trained happily in a relaxed mood, Bennett felt under siege, determined to sidestep the relatively minor gathering of media by hiding away in the plush office he may be forced to depart in coming weeks.
How did it get to this? Wayne Bennett, the NRL’s greatest mentor and Brisbane’s only premiership coach, reduced to watching his players, at the great club he built, through a second-floor glass window.
The Courier-Mail exclusively captured the moment Bennett briefly left his office to peer at the action below.
e28ae29f019a7c91693b30586b0101a1

Is this what the Broncos legend has been reduced to? (Annette Dew)
After six hours in confinement, Bennett produced a Houdini-style escape. By 2.30pm, he had vanished, avoiding five news crews by using decoy cars, crawling to an escape vehicle and lying down in the back seat to flee Red Hill.
Backdoor Benny had done it again.
Welcome to the latest episode of Australia’s Most Wanted … err, sorry, day one of Brisbane’s 2019 pre-season.
A besieged coach seeking shelter like some sort of on-the-run criminal amid a group of confused players who have spent the past week discussing who will be their boss next season.
As Bennett hid, McCullough fronted the media. He should have been waxing lyrical about Brisbane’s bright new campaign. Instead, the first question was whether Bennett would be their coach next year.
McCullough flashed a wry, Bennett-style grin and shrugged his shoulders.
“Same as you guys, as players it’s the unknown,” he said.
“We can only be guided by Wayne says. He will be here at the moment and we’ll go from there.
“As a playing group, it’s out of our control what happens. We’ll just work with what we’ve got.”
c413184f658fc04ea2dec5a0125342f3

Andrew McCullough could only shrug his shoulders. (Lachie Millard)
Seibold is ready to come to the Broncos and Souths will happily release him, so the final impediment now is Bennett.
Morris is likely to offer Bennett a compensation deal, but the 68-year-old won’t cop any cut-price arrangement.
It means Brisbane face an expensive $1 million-plus payout, when you factor in Bennett’s assistants and Seibold’s salary, or the supercoach stays put for one final, turbulent season.
When the madness ends is anyone’s guess, but Bennett’s actions must surely be the final strand of evidence for Brisbane bosses to pull the trigger — at any cost — and bring Seibold to town.
Only then will sanity return to Red Hill.
Does this in any way resemble the truth of the situation?

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...n/news-story/71dd10a2314f8e79bfc8be8c217a152c

Last edited:
That actually hurt to read. If true, that's disgusting on behalf of the board.

Macca looks hardcore.

Anyway, didn’t Bennett publicly say that the first weeks of the pre-season belong to the conditioners? Nothing here contradicts that.

Macca looks hardcore.

Anyway, didn’t Bennett publicly say that the first weeks of the pre-season belong to the conditioners? Nothing here contradicts that.
Yep, looks like the only thing stopping Bennett being out there were a set of stairs.

I think that moustache belongs in a whole different type of physical entertainment, usually badly filmed.

I wanted to simply like this post but that's not praise enough. I think having WB here would unite the team as never before as most would recognize this as a great moment in rugby league history. This 2019 team would mark the end of an era and I believe they'd rise to the occasion. It will sadden me to see an acrimonious end to rugby leagues greatest partnership.

@Huge, unfortunately, the evidence as it currently exists does not tend to support the theory that having WB here would unit the team as never before. I would have thought that if WB is the great unifying figure who is going to inspire the team to greater heights, that this should of happened last year. Their coach was under pressure all year, it was said that nothing less than a grand final appearance would get him an extension on his contract, the decision on his coaching future had not been made.

I would have thought that this should have been all the motivation they needed last year to give it a red hot go. My evidence against your theory is:
Dragons: 48
Broncos: 18

I didn't think it possible for me to hate the media more but this story is pushing my hatred to new levels.
They can cover either angle bagging the board for the way it's been handled or Bennett for how he reacts.
It's the same rehashed facts over and over again with a new line added every few days from an old player, current player or some other has been commenting.

Still waiting for a main stream story of Hooper getting pissed and jumping on cars bonnets but when it's their own it's buried as much as possible.

@Huge, unfortunately, the evidence as it currently exists does not tend to support the theory that having WB here would unit the team as never before. I would have thought that if WB is the great unifying figure who is going to inspire the team to greater heights, that this should of happened last year. Their coach was under pressure all year, it was said that nothing less than a grand final appearance would get him an extension on his contract, the decision on his coaching future had not been made.

I would have thought that this should have been all the motivation they needed last year to give it a red hot go. My evidence against your theory is:
Dragons: 48
Broncos: 18
Fair enough but I don't agree that game is evidence that the future in 2019 is THAT word. My hope is WB sticks to his guns and does indeed demand the full payout although I have no idea what his thinking on that is. He doesn't need the board's support, he only needs his player's support and his staff as well. The board won't make any hard runs, the media won't make a single tackle, only his crew counts. If he stays and they hit the ground running then I predict all this angst will disappear but yes, if a tiny crack appears it will be wedged open by all the haters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Justwin
  • Broncosgirl
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • heartly87
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Broncorob
  • Skyblues87
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Aldo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Midean
  • HarryAllan7
  • johnny plath
  • Xzei
  • kiwi2
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.