Seibold signs with Broncos for 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tell you what though, the coaches suit the opposite rosters at this point in time.

Souths probably have one, max two premiership shots left with their current side, so that fits Bennett to a T as he is just about done.

Broncs are probably one to two seasons away from being the premiership heavyweights again (they might well contend next year but just look not quite there yet) and that suits Siebold to a T is he is just starting to come into his own.

My opinion is the coach swap won't happen because Wayne Bennett will not leave for less money and neither club wants to pay the extra. But you better believe both clubs want it to happen.

Well the clubs can't have it both ways. One of them, or both, are just going to have to pay up their fair share if they want it to happen so much and have any semblence of a succesful 2019 I'm afraid.

Paying Bennett out might taste like a bit of a shit sandwich at first, but in the long run it is something which just needs to be done.

Last edited:
These players being released all seem like part of the Broncos+Seibold plan.

The Broncos have traditionally been able to field a strong squad every year, without fail. The years we’ve missed the finals, it’s been due to injury tolls. But what has it given us? Since 2006, we’ve been close a few times, very close recently, but no trophy.

Looks to me like we’re adopting the Roosters method. Had we held on to McGuire, Glenn, etc, it sounds like the young forwards on big contracts have been back-ended, hence why there was little money in the kitty for when the older players were up for renewal. With those players leaving, and if there are no big recruits, it means we may actually be able to front-end some contracts. It might result in a few lean years, but we just have to bide our time for the right player to become available and then we’ll be ripe for a decent premiership window.

The Roosters fluctuated from the top of the ladder to dead last over a few seasons, but they’ve only had to wait 5 years between their last two premierships. Do we want to constantly finish 6th-3rd and never quite hit the form+injuries+luck+fairytale combination required to win it all, or endure some bad years in exchange for winning some trophies?

Article online somewhere about Seibold signing an assistant coach or some sort of staff member for 2020, if someone can find it.

These players being released all seem like part of the Broncos+Seibold plan.

The Broncos have traditionally been able to field a strong squad every year, without fail. The years we’ve missed the finals, it’s been due to injury tolls. But what has it given us? Since 2006, we’ve been close a few times, very close recently, but no trophy.

Looks to me like we’re adopting the Roosters method. Had we held on to McGuire, Glenn, etc, it sounds like the young forwards on big contracts have been back-ended, hence why there was little money in the kitty for when the older players were up for renewal. With those players leaving, and if there are no big recruits, it means we may actually be able to front-end some contracts. It might result in a few lean years, but we just have to bide our time for the right player to become available and then we’ll be ripe for a decent premiership window.

The Roosters fluctuated from the top of the ladder to dead last over a few seasons, but they’ve only had to wait 5 years between their last two premierships. Do we want to constantly finish 6th-3rd and never quite hit the form+injuries+luck+fairytale combination required to win it all, or endure some bad years in exchange for winning some trophies?

Spot on mate. I can’t remember but I think it might have been Gus that said once:

“As a club fan, over a 20 year period would you rather your team make the finals 20 times in those 20 years and not win a Comp?”

Or

“Over a 20 year period would you rather not be in the finals every year, have some very lean years but have won a Comp during the period?”

I know which one I would choose. Hell, it’s already been 12 years since the last and that time has flown by!

Spot on mate. I can’t remember but I think it might have been Gus that said once:

“As a club fan, over a 20 year period would you rather your team make the finals 20 times in those 20 years and not win a Comp?”

Or

“Over a 20 year period would you rather not be in the finals every year, have some very lean years but have won a Comp during the period?”

I know which one I would choose. Hell, it’s already been 12 years since the last and that time has flown by!

You’ve got to consider that Melbourne have effectively wiped out a decade with their cheating. We’d have 2-3 prems if the storm didn’t rort the cap - they were directly responsible for our exit most years.

Last edited:
They may have knocked us out a few times, but I think you'd be hard pressed to say we were the second best team in more than one of those seasons.

2007 - We finished eighth for a reason. Weren't we playing Tunza at 5/8 by the time Melbourne put us out of our misery?
2008 - I don't think we were better than Manly that year.
2009 - Our hopes were dusted when Wallace was injured.
2017 - We would have been a good chance at beating the Cows.

Pressure mounting on Brisbane Broncos to resolve Wayne Bennett coaching fiasco

NOVEMBER 15, 2018

PRESSURE is mounting on the Brisbane Broncos to come up with an immediate resolution to the club's coaching fiasco. Chief executive Paul White either needs to reaffirm his stance that Wayne Bennett will be in charge in 2019, or get busy clearing the way for Anthony Seibold to start work next week, when the Broncos full squad returns for pre-season training.

Bennett is still overseas after coaching England to victory in the recent Test series against New Zealand and is not due back in Australia until next Wednesday.

It is understood Bennett will then be absent from training until December 3, aside from making the occasional appearance. Bennett has long coached by the philosophy that the first stage of pre-season belongs to the conditioning staff to get the players as fit as possible before the ball is even entered into training sessions.

On the surface, this gives both Bennett and Brisbane more time to determine what the next move is going to be. But what highlights how dysfunctional the situation has become is that Bennett also conceded this week that he had not spoken to either his chief executive or chairman Karl Morris since the club’s presentation night in early October.

Even when news broke that Josh McGuire had agreed to terms to play with North Queensland next season, cutting short his contract with the Broncos, it is understood Bennett was given no input in the decision, yet Seibold was. Take it as read Bennett hasn't taken what could be perceived as a lack of respect to heart.

But given the importance placed on pre-season preparations at every NRL club along with roster management, this just seems a ludicrous and unworkable situation moving forward for everyone involved. While talk continues that there will be a coaching swap in the coming days, in Bennett's mind he has given his commitment to Brisbane players to see out his contract next season.

Some have criticised Bennett for holding the club to ransom but he is adamant in no way is that the case because it was the Broncos who made the call to chase a new coach when they first went after Craig Bellamy, which left Bennett with no option but to seek employment for 2020 and beyond. Bennett maintains he will only leave Brisbane early if he is sacked and not once has he deviated from this stance.

But the problem for the Broncos is that while White has also stated Bennett would remain in 2019, Seibold showed his hand early this week when he stated that he wanted a decision made within 48 hours. That deadline has long expired, but still there is no resolution in sight. But what it showed was that Seibold is obviously being told by someone that the move is on the cards, even if no one wants to say so publicly. So it is now up to White to pull the trigger, though the longer he holds off the more dangerous this game is getting.

It has been reported that some Rabbitohs players are disillusioned that Seibold's choice was to be at a different club, whereas Brisbane players to a man are saying publicly that they hope Bennett sees out his final season. Now Souths players are also saying they are looking forward to Bennett's arrival. From a coach whose career mid-season looked doomed, Bennett has once again emerged in a position of power. Make no mistake, even if he is ultimately sacked, Bennett will be leaving on his terms.

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites...3aeb8399e5bad1f9120ce5d2707&memtype=anonymous

Last edited:
WTF is Bennett still doing in England?! Should he not be back here going over preparations for the pre-season/2019 like Seibs is doing with Souths? Maybe he is gallavanting around Europe on a romantic escapade with that new, younger Mrs.

None of my business of course and good luck to him. But I would hope his mind is on the job and that would be making sure everything is as it should be with our players/prep/signings etc.

Last edited:
WTF is Bennett still doing in England?! Should he not be back here going over preparations for the pre-season/2019 like Seibs is doing with Souths? Maybe he is gallavanting around Europe on a romantic escapade with that new, younger Mrs.

None of my business of course and good luck to him. But I would hope his mind is on the job and that would be making sure everything is as it should be with our players/prep/signings etc.

The article explains that the first part of the pre-season is the conditioning. He does not need to be here.

The article explains that the first part of the pre-season is the conditioning. He does not need to be here.

That’s bullshit he’s the coach and it’s still training. Of course he should be there to show he’s team he’s just as dedicated as him when full preseason training begins.

Yes I did see that but I dunno, it just comes across as a bit flippant on Bennett's behalf in my book that he is over there doing whatever he's doing while a fair few of the players are here slogging their guts out. Maybe that's just how he does things like the article says, but to be honest, **** I will be so glad to see the back of him and his stroppy attitude.

Having someone like Seibs here, from what I have seen of him in the media, will be like a breath of fresh air.

Yes I did see that but I dunno, it just comes across as a bit flippant on Bennett's behalf in my book that he is over there doing whatever he's doing while a fair few of the players are here slogging their guts out. Maybe that's just how he does things like the article says, but to be honest, **** I will be so glad to see the back of him and his stroppy attitude.

Having someone like Seibs here, from what I have seen of him in the media, will be like a breath of fresh air.
I think he has been told to stay in Blighty until such time as the swap with Souths has been finalised. If the latest reports are true they'll announce the swap next week and he'll then be on a plane. He'd look,stupid starting with the Broncos for a week or so only to pull up stumps and leave. And if he was here and not at training there'd be hell to pay for him not 'showing comittment. Siebs is already well into running the Broncos that's why Moose and the like are already being moved on now.

I think he has been told to stay in Blighty until such time as the swap with Souths has been finalised. If the latest reports are true they'll announce the swap next week and he'll then be on a plane. He'd look,stupid starting with the Broncos for a week or so only to pull up stumps and leave. And if he was here and not at training there'd be hell to pay for him not 'showing comittment. Siebs is already well into running the Broncos that's why Moose and the like are already being moved on now.

Good point/s mate, I hadn't thought of that.

What shit. I just don't know what all the fuss is about. Fucking makes us look weak. I would be perfectly happy if WB left at the end of his contract. I haven't heard of any reason why this situation is 'untenable'.

Article online somewhere about Seibold signing an assistant coach or some sort of staff member for 2020, if someone can find it.

Croll is back too from the Cowboys signed to a three year deal by Bennett, interesting to see what happens there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Rookie Alan
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Organix
  • Harry Sack
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • Broncorob
  • Kev_Guz
  • pennywisealfie
  • theshed
  • bb_gun
  • Allo
  • Hurrijo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Fitzy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Gray
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Big Del
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.