Seibold signs with Broncos for 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
He moved from the Dragons where you could argue Mary was more chance to move on before Bennett.

His contract ends 2019. He is a career coach so he is going to be coaching somewhere.

Fair point mate about Mary. Would love JD to stay but whatever Seibs decides he needs to do in terms of hiring and firing is fair enough. If he thinks Cross has the goods for an assistant, we just gotta trust him.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily disagree but is change for change's sake a good thing? I care about the Broncos culture. Bennett always wanted to embrace the old boys and the old culture and as a fan I didn't see too much wrong with the team culture this year that a bit of tweaking wouldn't fix.
With all the upheaval that's happening (and potentially very quickly) I would rather see Seibold play it cautiously for his first year, draw on the staff and resources that are left when Bennett leaves and make changes in his second year.
I just hope Demitriou stays on for 2019 if the coach swap is done next week.

JD never had anything to do with the Broncos and he came in and now you want him to stay. He was born in Sydney too by the way.

You have to get staff from somewhere, Barker and Hickmans will follow Bennett I am sure of that. There are two spots up.

JD is off contact and Croll has just come back so he might step up after his time at the Cows.

Last edited:
JD never had anything to do with the Broncos and he came in and now you want him to stay.
He came in as a fresh face with Bennett so at least there was some sort of continuity or familiarity with the Broncos culture there. I have no issue with fresh faces but I don't believe in throwing the baby out with the bath water and have sweeping changes straight up. IF Seibold comes in 2019, Demitriou would offer a bit of continuity for the players while Seibold settles in.
It's only my wishful thinking as Demitriou has every right to tell the Broncos to stick their job if he wasn't considered good enough for the top job and then has to answer to Seibold. I guess it would depend on whether he could get himself another job.

JD never had anything to do with the Broncos and he came in and now you want him to stay. He was born in Sydney too by the way.

You have to get staff from somewhere, Barker and Hickmans will follow Bennett I am sure of that. There are two spots up.

JD is off contact and Croll has just come back so he might step up after his time at the Cows.

Who is croll ?

Does it make the Broncs look weak? I don’t really see how.

The media says it is untenable, we all feel it is untenable and Souths are the ones clearly needing he swap to happen according to said media, thus the cycle of gossip.

The Broncs have said they are happy to keep Bennett, Bennett has said he is happy to stay, the players have said they want Bennett to stay.

Regardless of player movements, why do the Broncs need to make a statement for every report that pretty much comes out every other day, especially one like this without one single quote from anybody?
We all feel it's untenable? Huh? I clearly don't.

I couldn’t give a **** if someone is from NSW, if they are going to do a good job for us that’s all I need.

In terms of the worries about our culture, our current culture is mediocrity and close enough is good enough. If these moves are blowing up the culture then add some more dynamite.

I hear Par Howard is looking for a job after being sacked from Cricket Australia, if they want to set the bar low, I mean like really low, like to a low that one doesn't even think possible AND introduce match rotations, he's the guy you want.

I hear Par Howard is looking for a job after being sacked from Cricket Australia, if they want to set the bar low, I mean like really low, like to a low that one doesn't even think possible AND introduce match rotations, he's the guy you want.
We don't play cricket in Aus anymore - have you not seen the ratings. Fox bought a pup.

It is Weedler, so take it with a grain of salt I guess and nothing we haven't really already heard...

Sticking point in coach swap

The expectation is that the Wayne Bennett-Anthony Seibold switch will happen this week – but there is more pain to go through for both parties before it takes place.

Bennett is due back from a European holiday and that’s where the action will happen now. Bennett will get some kind of payout from the Broncos. He won’t get his full $900,000, but he will get a payout.

His main concern has been his staff and their futures. Bennett has not been pushing for his staff to join the Rabbitohs as they are set for coaches and staff – unless Seibold tries to drag a few of them up to Brisbane.

The quicker it's sorted, the better': Souths stars want call on coach
South Sydney players have called for the uncertainty over their coach for next season to end as Wayne Bennett prepares to make his return to Brisbane this week.
The timing of Bennett’s swap with Rabbitohs mentor Anthony Seibold is the final issue yet to be determined as the coaching carousel comes to a grinding halt. Powerbrokers from both clubs have privately conceded it is untenable to wait until their contracts expire at the end of next season to make the move, particularly given the influence they have over the shaping of future rosters.
Bennett reiterated his intention to see out the final year of his Broncos contract in an interview with Fairfax Media during the week, declaring: “I’ve been committed to staying at the Broncos since day one and nothing has changed.”
02694ee26c58be2fe5fef8a2952d65b5e7f2869e

This year or next? Anthony Seibold and Wayne Bennett are trading places.Credit:Fairfax Media
The onus is now on Brisbane to bring the matter to a head, even if it requires paying out the final year of Bennett’s contract. Meanwhile, Seibold is already back at work at Redfern, beginning a pre-season he may not see out.
The situation leaves the Rabbitohs players in an invidious situation. Playmaker Cody Walker and rising star Braidon Burns, guests at the National Dreamtime Awards organised by No Limit Management chief executive Matt Rose at The Star on Friday night, hoped a definitive call would soon be made to resolve the matter.
“I’m not sure what’s going on, to be honest; there’s some uncertainty,” Walker said.
“The quicker it gets resolved the better it is for everyone involved.
“If it’s going to stay the way it is, it will stay the way it is. If it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen.
“As players we’re professional enough to get on with the job whoever is coaching us. It’s our job to play footy and get out there and have a crack.”
e110f93956ce456bc0f08439378e2a6951d58cb7

Souths star Cody Walker will finally get to play under Wayne Bennett after almost joining the Broncos two years ago.Credit:AAP
Burns, who has made 15 NRL appearances since making his debut in 2017, added: “Yeah, a lot of the boys just want it sorted.
“Obviously Wayne signed for the two years after. The quicker it’s sorted, the better.
“Seibs and the performance staff have set out a program for the whole pre-season and it’s all pretty detailed. Whether Wayne comes in or Seibs stays, we have a detailed program we can follow either way.
“We know what we’re doing, it won’t change much for us as far as pre-season. The coaching would be a bit different if Wayne did come in.”
Walker came within a whisker of joining Bennett at Brisbane two years ago. The seven-time premiership-winning coach tried to lure pivot on a two-year deal and the pair met to discuss the potential transfer. Just as he was about to sign, then-Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire countered with a three-year deal.
A philosophical Walker believes Souths will be in a strong position regardless of whether Bennett arrives this pre-season or next.
“It leaves a different sort of feeling in my belly,” Walker said.
“I’ve had a great year under Seibs, as have all the other players in the squad, and I nearly went to Brisbane two years ago.
“It appealed to myself and my partner to go to Brisbane, but when Souths came to the party with an extra year, the decision was pretty easy in the end.
“I have found a home at Souths and I really enjoy the club.
“[Bennett] is a wonderful coach; that’s shown in the amount of premierships he’s won.
“He’s probably the most successful coach. They have signed a great coach in Wayne Bennett.
“Whatever happens, happens, we’ll just get on with the job.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...stars-want-call-on-coach-20181117-p50gnt.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • RolledOates
  • Broncorob
  • Lozza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Browny
  • Ozired
  • TimWhatley
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Strop
  • armchair
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fozz
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.