PLAYER Selwyn Cobbo

Anyone watch NRL360 tonight when they had Slater on? He made an odd comment regarding Cobbo.

Braith asked him was Cobbo just not fit to play or was he. Slater's response "sometimes you're fit to play but not 100%".

Probably nothing in it but just a weird way to answer that question. Implied that it may be a mental thing... Why not just say we weren't comfortable with his fitness??

Was acting a bit weird with those guys. Must be a channel 9 vs Fox league thing

Anyone watch NRL360 tonight when they had Slater on? He made an odd comment regarding Cobbo.

Braith asked him was Cobbo just not fit to play or was he. Slater's response "sometimes you're fit to play but not 100%".

Probably nothing in it but just a weird way to answer that question. Implied that it may be a mental thing... Why not just say we weren't comfortable with his fitness??

Reading too much into it I would suggest.

He was fit to play for us too but clearly not 100%. Didn't take much to aggravate that hip.

Pretty sure 1910 said something similar.

Cobbo aggravated the hip injury, but would still be able to play (even this weekend, if the Broncos had a game) but wouldn't be 100%. QLD made the decision that they didn't want to select someone with a niggling injury.

players play all the time when not 100%. whether they play through the pain or pain killing injections etc.

Pretty sure 1910 said something similar.

Cobbo aggravated the hip injury, but would still be able to play (even this weekend, if the Broncos had a game) but wouldn't be 100%. QLD made the decision that they didn't want to select someone with a niggling injury.

players play all the time when not 100%. whether they play through the pain or pain killing injections etc.
Yeah, I get that. Just Slater's wording which made it sound weird.

He did bang on about not focusing on who's not there but focus on who IS in the team. So that's probably why he was coming across indifferent.

Different sceniaro to NSW where they have 3 players coming straight off an injury layoff, 2 of those not able to train till the weekend.

Yeah, I get that. Just Slater's wording which made it sound weird.

He did bang on about not focusing on who's not there but focus on who IS in the team. So that's probably why he was coming across indifferent.
I don't think it's a mental thing, I think he just wants his squad to be as healthy as possible to allow full training from day one and not have to worry about any niggles heading into next week.

He thinks Coates can do a job for him rather than relying on a possibly injured Cobbo, where contact to the wrong spot could see him lose a winger mid-game.

Cobbo's first game back from injury re-aggravated the same injury again. It's a risk that Billy thinks can be avoided by bringing in another player that can do a job for him

Different sceniaro to NSW where they have 3 players coming straight off an injury layoff, 2 of those not able to train till the weekend.
This.

For instance, Latrell won't have played for something like 5 weeks come Origin. As someone who can already drift in and out of games with his fitness questioned at times, he could well be found out on his lack of match fitness. Though it could also be smoke and mirrors too, who knows.

This.

For instance, Latrell won't have played for something like 5 weeks come Origin. As someone who can already drift in and out of games with his fitness questioned at times, he could well be found out on his lack of match fitness. Though it could also be smoke and mirrors too, who knows.
5-Minute-'Trell definitely will be an enigma on game night, for good or bad, who knows.... lol

Reading too much into it IMO. I think Slater spends so much time around the media he knows you need to choose your words carefully or they will use any angle to pull bullshit. If he says "yeah Cobbo is injured and not right to play" they will go "he looked fine when he was starring for the Broncos on Saturday, more of the famous QLD loyalty we hear about pfft"

Fair answer. He's making his selection criteria known: you not only have to be able to play, but at the top of your game. Which lines up with his selection of Walsh over Ponga.

He might also have some reservations about Cobbo for any number of reasons, but that's not something that needs to be aired.

Heard c Smith say on a podcast that Xavier was unlucky to miss out 1st game and it was a 50/50 call

Hahaha there's no one on this earth who could convince me his purple club shirt isn't a factor in his selection. A 75% fit cobbo or an Oates on the wrong wing, even Phillip sami or gagai deserved a shot over him. His performance is irrelevant really, he's had SEVEN origin games by now, his statistically due for one even if he is shit. Then are slater and smith going to use an ok-ish performance to justify another 7? Where's Oates or cobbo leeway?

Just to add to this, today I heard from a completely different source that Cobbo often shows up late to training and events. There were comments at the pre-season presentation from other players saying the thing he needs to improve on is showing up at all. He also didn't show up for his concussion rehab and when Kevvie asked why he said "because I didn't want to". Mal Meninga has even spoken to him about needing to strive for more, having goals and shit.

The usual suspects don't have to argue with me about this. If you don't believe it you don't believe it, that's fine.

This is really disappointing to hear because I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt , being young and all. Unfortunately the evidence is slowly but surely starting to add up. Might be time for a spell in Qcup and give someone a go who deserves it.

Just to add to this, today I heard from a completely different source that Cobbo often shows up late to training and events. There were comments at the pre-season presentation from other players saying the thing he needs to improve on is showing up at all. He also didn't show up for his concussion rehab and when Kevvie asked why he said "because I didn't want to". Mal Meninga has even spoken to him about needing to strive for more, having goals and shit.

The usual suspects don't have to argue with me about this. If you don't believe it you don't believe it, that's fine.

This fits with Billy's comments, too. More pieces to the jigsaw puzzle, and unfavourable ones at that.

I hope he can turn it around, for his own sake as well as the club's. And the kids of Murgon/Cherbourg and beyond.

This fits with Billy's comments, too. More pieces to the jigsaw puzzle, and unfavourable ones at that.

I hope he can turn it around, for his own sake as well as the club's. And the kids of Murgon/Cherbourg and beyond.
I mean if mal and slater telling you to wake the **** up isnt getting into your head then its a slippery slope to being a player that bounces around clubs aka james roberts

Active Now

• mitch222
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • davidp
  • Foordy
  • Old Mate
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Culhwch
  • Maroon4life
  • Manofoneway
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.