PLAYER Selwyn Cobbo

Selwyn:

“I think sometimes Indigenous kids lack confidence or might feel some shame to go for things in life, but I’m trying to make a change for Aboriginal people. It puts a smile on my face every time I go home and see the little kids. They come up to me saying, ‘you’re my hero’. That makes me proud. I would love to follow in the path of Latrell and do the things that he does for communities and Indigenous people. He does a lot for our people, he is passionate for his people, and I would love to be like that at the Broncos. It means a lot to me. I see myself as a young leader.”​
“Becoming school captain, did a lot for me as a person. I actually went for the sports captain, but everyone said I should put my hand up to be school captain. They said I had the ability and the leadership to do it, so I applied and I got it. It was a huge shock for me. I didn’t think I was good enough for that position, but I feel that role helped prepare me for life after school.”​

Selwyn's dad Shamus:

“Everything starts at home. Sitting around the dinner table, we taught all our kids, including Selwyn, what’s right from wrong. We taught respect and discipline. We always told Selwyn, you treat people how you want to be treated. I’m so proud of the man Selwyn has become. When I drive to work, kids will be singing out to me, ‘where’s Selwyn Cobbo, when’s he coming home?’ I say he’s training at the Broncos. I can’t put into words what he is achieving for Indigenous kids out here in the bush. Just his encouragement. Kids say they want to be like Selwyn Cobbo. The attendance numbers at school are higher because kids want to do what Selwyn is doing.”​

Manager Tas Bartlett:

“When he goes back to Cherbourg, he is royalty. In Brisbane, I’ve never had a player that’s in demand like Selwyn. Whether it’s a 10-year-old Indigenous kid to an 80-year-old grandmother, they flock to him. It’s that cheeky, disarming smile that he’s got, he is an engaging guy, he has a special warmth about him. He is genuinely proud about being an Indigenous role model. Every conversation we have now is how does he build a legacy, create influence, mentor the younger generation and create opportunities for younger Indigenous kids? It might not be a sporting career, but how do we educate that person to keep their dream alive and chase their dreams? He wants kids to know there is a pathway to a better life … if you want it.”​

He's purely talking from the sense of Latrell being indigenous and what he's been able to do for communities. I don't know that we have any other current indigenous player who has done more.
Anthony Mundine has reportedly done plenty for the indigenous community as well..........

Is he a role model to aspire to?

Does Latrell Mitchell......?

Well Done Chess GIF by emilyreaganpr

Aim higher than Latrell Mitchell for a role model to look up to Selwyn......
Hate that lazy idiot. All he thinks is about show off & sensationalism. Plays the race card most often than not for all his shortcomings. Cobbo must not even look at him to become a better human. He has better people to look up to to get inspired.

Sometimes he does things which make you think "this kid is playing a different game to these blokes", the bat back to Walsh in open field, so many wingers would try catch that and drop it under the pressure of someone like Xavier Coates. Also the first catch he took, the ball got away from him but he handled it well, if he drops it there we are under pressure straight away.

I also appreciate his carries out of yardage, more often than not he gets smashed and I sometimes feel like he's the one causing that collision with the aggression in which he runs at the line, he isn't getting rattled by men on the edge, he's running into the teeth of their defense, these are much bigger men.

Sometimes he does things which make you think "this kid is playing a different game to these blokes", the bat back to Walsh in open field, so many wingers would try catch that and drop it under the pressure of someone like Xavier Coates. Also the first catch he took, the ball got away from him but he handled it well, if he drops it there we are under pressure straight away.

I also appreciate his carries out of yardage, more often than not he gets smashed and I sometimes feel like he's the one causing that collision with the aggression in which he runs at the line, he isn't getting rattled by men on the edge, he's running into the teeth of their defense, these are much bigger men.

It looked a clear tactic to me last night that when they kicked the ball high to Coates he pretty much batted it back to Walsh every time.

Active Now

• Robboi_321
  • Gaz
  • Lurker
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Reds2011
  • Xzei
  • Griffo
  • sooticus
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • Dash
  • broncsgoat
  • mrslong
  • bb_gun
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fitzy
  • Hoof Hearted
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.