PLAYER Selwyn Cobbo

Seriously? All he's said is that he's been told by people at the club that Selwyn is a bit of a lazy trainer and has already achieved all he ever really wanted to. Yet everyone wants to lay into him every time he points out young Selwyn has a shit game.

Newsflash - Selwyn WAS pretty shit tonight. That's fact. Does it mean the other stuff is true, well, no. But that's besides the point. How about we focus on the actual statement/s made, rather than stuff said weeks ago you disagree with?

FMD I'm sick of people in this place going after others CONSTANTLY just because they disagree with something that was said once upon a time. Be Frozen and let it go!
I'm confused though, because he didn't even play that bad, but after every game this thread flares up as if he was the reason we lost or played bad in a win.

Melbourne were just sending bombs for Coates all game none of which he could catch but due to the rules of looking at ball when going for it, it's enough to make it basically impossible for the defender.

That they didn't want Cobbs taking the second run because he is far more damaging at that than Arthars? Cobbo and Oates are such a bigger threat as a result. Either way, the next runner is making a lot of metres and getting the set off to a flying start. As good as Arthars has been, and he has been very good, that is his one area of weakness.
I'd say it would also have to do with Coates being on that side. Whether he catches them or not he's still their aerial target.

FMD I'm sick of people in this place going after others CONSTANTLY just because they disagree with something that was said once upon a time. Be Frozen and let it go!

I have files on all you fuckers......

revenge GIF

I'm confused though, because he didn't even play that bad, but after every game this thread flares up as if he was the reason we lost or played bad in a win.

Melbourne were just sending bombs for Coates all game none of which he could catch but due to the rules of looking at ball when going for it, it's enough to make it basically impossible for the defender.

I think some people getting so carried away with ridiculous praise for him makes those that see his flaws more desperate to point them out.

If the consensus view was 'Cobbo is an immensely talented young footballer with incredible potential and all the skills to be a superstar who has produced some very impressive moments in his career so far but also makes some very stupid and lazy mistakes.' then I don't think anyone would be wanting to throw him under the bus for a bad game... I personally think that's a very fair appraisal of where he's currently at... but some here seem to think he is already an incredible superstar who is one of the top players in the league and can do no wrong.

I think some people getting so carried away with ridiculous praise for him makes those that see his flaws more desperate to point them out.

If the consensus view was 'Cobbo is an immensely talented young footballer with incredible potential and all the skills to be a superstar who has produced some very impressive moments in his career so far but also makes some very stupid and lazy mistakes.' then I don't think anyone would be wanting to throw him under the bus for a bad game... I personally think that's a very fair appraisal of where he's currently at... but some here seem to think he is already an incredible superstar who is one of the top players in the league and can do no wrong.

No this bit is wrong (the rest is very much right). The issue is the claims that he is uncoachable, so every time he does something great, we point it out to show that this does not appear to be the case.

The reality as you said above. He is immensely talented but also does some bad things every game. His hands especially are either great or poor, there is little in between. He needs to improve his worst games/moments to become the player he could be but none of this suggests he is uncoachable.

I feel like he is on a similar career trajectory to early Latrell Mitchell. "All the talent in the world, a bit lazy, goes missing, has some lair and massive game winning plays."

Not saying he's going to be as good as Latrell, but the narrative surrounding him is similar. Has people who blindly love him and people who blindly hate him.

I like him, think he’s right on track and where he should be in regards to his occasional mixed bag of form.

For now and the foreseeable future if his safety under the highball and strong kick returns keep gradually improving the flashy stuff he does is just an added bonus

No this bit is wrong (the rest is very much right). The issue is the claims that he is uncoachable, so every time he does something great, we point it out to show that this does not appear to be the case.

The reality as you said above. He is immensely talented but also does some bad things every game. His hands especially are either great or poor, there is little in between. He needs to improve his worst games/moments to become the player he could be but none of this suggests he is uncoachable.

Bagging the coach out on a podcast after he's given you time off to support you not being able to get through a season and leaving games early aren't traits of hard to coach players?

I don't believe the point was that he couldn't run 100m quickly or score tries, I believe the point was that these incidents plus others have led to the perspective that he has some hard to coach/work with qualities.

He could score 20 run away tries and I don't think that would change the original point of view- I think it's about seeing improvements in other team areas.

Bagging the coach out on a podcast after he's given you time off to support you not being able to get through a season and leaving games early aren't traits of hard to coach players?

I don't believe the point was that he couldn't run 100m quickly or score tries, I believe the point was that these incidents plus others have led to the perspective that he has some hard to coach/work with qualities.

He could score 20 run away tries and I don't think that would change the original point of view- I think it's about seeing improvements in other team areas.
Bingo.

Speaking from personal perspective, the types of errors are particularly frustrating and also create alot of polarity.

If he dropped a ball or made an error trying to create something (like Walsh, who also has too many errors in his game) I think that's totally understandable. Walsh often walks away from those sorts of blunders shaking his head and knowing he should have done better and you'll often see him in the same position later in the game and this time get it exactly right. You can even deal with the dropped high balls and chalk it up to nerves or lack of experience...

But seeing Cobbo at a key moment with a game in the balance deciding to run next to the sideline to get dragged into touch (for the 3rd time in the game) and then getting up and walking away looking disinterested and unbothered absolutely makes my blood boil.

Seeing him casually jogging up to a kicked ball in the in-goal which was obviously not going dead, moping up to it... picking it up lazily and slowly turning and making a soft effort to get out of the in-goal before being pinned and giving up the goal line drop out in a game a few weeks ago (Was it against Eels?) wasn't even what I would call an error - just an outright lack of effort. That was disgraceful and it makes me sick seeing someone in a Broncos jersey behave that way... For me, it negates alot of the flashy positive plays.

The good news is that those things are very easily fixed and if he wants to, he can address them and become a truly special player. But for now, its (extremely annoying) rocks and diamonds.

Speaking from personal perspective, the types of errors are particularly frustrating and also create alot of polarity.

If he dropped a ball or made an error trying to create something (like Walsh, who also has too many errors in his game) I think that's totally understandable. Walsh often walks away from those sorts of blunders shaking his head and knowing he should have done better and you'll often see him in the same position later in the game and this time get it exactly right. You can even deal with the dropped high balls and chalk it up to nerves or lack of experience...

But seeing Cobbo at a key moment with a game in the balance deciding to run next to the sideline to get dragged into touch (for the 3rd time in the game) and then getting up and walking away looking disinterested and unbothered absolutely makes my blood boil.

Seeing him casually jogging up to a kicked ball in the in-goal which was obviously not going dead, moping up to it... picking it up lazily and slowly turning and making a soft effort to get out of the in-goal before being pinned and giving up the goal line drop out in a game a few weeks ago (Was it against Eels?) wasn't even what I would call an error - just an outright lack of effort. That was disgraceful and it makes me sick seeing someone in a Broncos jersey behave that way... For me, it negates alot of the flashy positive plays.

The good news is that those things are very easily fixed and if he wants to, he can address them and become a truly special player. But for now, its (extremely annoying) rocks and diamonds.

Is attitude an easy thing to fix?
....I'm not so sure about that.

......attitude should just be who you are. You shouldn't have to tell a professional sportsman to "try harder....and if you actually gave a ****, that'd be nice to"

Is attitude an easy thing to fix?
....I'm not so sure about that.

......attitude should just be who you are. You shouldn't have to tell a professional sportsman to "try harder....and if you actually gave a ****, that'd be nice to"

Easy to fix if he wants to.

it can be taught, unlike the rest of the abilities required to be a superstar player.

Ball is in his court, hope he does something with it..

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Laff

Idk if he wanted that he could have just not extended last year but who knows lol these are football players after all might be playing 4d chess

Active Now

• Bish
  • Broncorob
  • Tim K
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • broncsgoat
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Pablo
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Tmac
  • Waynesaurus
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.