PLAYER Selwyn Cobbo

Bennett will be on the phone to him first thing. He loves these kinds of players.

He'll prob get the best out of him too.

Bennett will be on the phone to him first thing. He loves these kinds of players.

He can have him. Cobbo should have been out of this club long ago.

We really turn on our own when things aren’t going well hey

Give me a spell, Sproj.

He's looked like shit all season, and now that it's officially over, and Cobbo put in yet another garbage performance at the death, people who were otherwise holding their tongues are commenting on it. If you have a different opinion about how he's performed this year, then say so.

Give me a spell, Sproj.

He's looked like shit all season, and now that it's officially over, and Cobbo put in yet another garbage performance at the death, people who were otherwise holding their tongues are commenting on it. If you have a different opinion about how he's performed this year, then say so.

Ok. So many of you have short memories. Heading in to origin, he was breaking tackles at will and looked like he was about to take the next step. Then something changed. Apparently he got injured and hasn’t been the same since. He’s so young and immature but until origin, he was looking great.

So something has changed there and now we are calling for letting him go on the back of a couple of poor performances and you know what, he isn’t alone there is he. So much about what has gone wrong is pointing at the coaching staff, why throw out our superstars with the stinky coachfu?

Ok. So many of you have short memories. Heading in to origin, he was breaking tackles at will and looked like he was about to take the next step. Then something changed. Apparently he got injured and hasn’t been the same since. He’s so young and immature but until origin, he was looking great.

So something has changed there and now we are calling for letting him go on the back of a couple of poor performances and you know what, he isn’t alone there is he. So much about what has gone wrong is pointing at the coaching staff, why throw out our superstars with the stinky coachfu?
It's all 100% speculation from everyone. Injured, disinterested, poorly coached nobody actually knows.

My personal opinion is it all goes back to our preseason. We started late and finished early and now after playing through a brutal origin period we are all cooked.

The problem with Selwyn isn't that he doesn't turn on once-in-a-generation style performances every year in the lead up to Origin. It's the games when he doesn't. I won't attempt to do the numbers on this, but at a rough guess the latter greatly outnumbers the former. He's also had a track record of burning out mentally soon after.

I'd hate to see us cut him loose but the team might be better off without this inconsistency.

The problem with Selwyn isn't that he doesn't turn on once-in-a-generation style performances every year in the lead up to Origin. It's the games when he doesn't. I won't attempt to do the numbers on this, but at a rough guess the latter greatly outnumber the former. He's also had a track record of burning out mentally soon after.

I'd hate to see us cut him loose but the team might be better off without this inconsistency.
It's that whole side. They just fade in and out of games. I'm pretty sure I saw mam lie down on the tryline for them to run over and score. Having cobbo, mam, Mariner and piakura defending one side has been a problem all year. If I'm kevy I'd look at putting cobbo back with staggs on that wing, a more vocal player and also indigenous which I think is important for someone like cobbo.

He does, but he doesn't always succeed. Milford, Jimmy the Jet, etc.

It will be interesting to see how TPJ Jr goes long term. He and Selwyn have this generational talent and slacking off in common.

We really turn on our own when things aren’t going well hey
To be fair I have wanted him gone since the podcast, so I turned on him even when things were good.

To be fair I have wanted him gone since the podcast, so I turned on him even when things were good.
I expect Steve Renouf had a hand in sheltering Selwyn from more serious repercussions. Had those connections not been in place I think he would've been moved on.

I expect Steve Renouf had a hand in sheltering Selwyn from more serious repercussions. Had those connections not been in place I think he would've been moved on.

And we’d all be lamenting watching him early season like he was at the Roosters

True, but what happens when you make a player too big to sack?

Are you old enough to remember Wally being sacked? Now that was traumatic.

I dont think he's been brilliant this year but he hasnt been bad either. He's had some great games where he has looked elite, especially in attack but defensively i think he's been found wanting. He hasnt been bad enough to get rid of him, but he's one of a group of players who we got panicked into overpaying for.

I still think personally he isnt professional enough. I dont buy this argument people throw up about him being young. While he might be 22, played over 60 games of NRL and in his 4th year of being an NRL player. He knows now what the game is all about and whats expected.

And as i have said before, if you and your management push for big money, then you have to become a big money player. You have to deliver.

True, but what happens when you make a player too big to sack?

Are you old enough to remember Wally being sacked? Now that was traumatic.

I am and he was showing massive signs of being well past it and his stint at the Seagulls backed it up.

But for me it wasn’t about this. Would he had good games elsewhere? Absolutely. But the club had to stand for something. You have to put a line in the sand sometimes that says no matter who you are or your talent this is unacceptable. When you don’t standards start to slip and are hard to enforce and for me that is exactly what we are seeing here.

When you are winning and confidence is high like last year it doesn’t matter. But when you have a year like this and the coach is trying to hold people accountable even if it only subconsciously they are thinking “what do you know” or “why should I care, you let him publicly bag you and he’s still sitting here”.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Spooky1013
  • Brocko
  • Waynesaurus
  • levikaden
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • azza.79
  • Manifesto
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • kman
  • Scdeac
  • Fitzy
  • Redfern_1980
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.