Sexual assault allegation

M

michael22

BRL Player
Sep 15, 2008
Coxy said:
michael22 said:
True, past hardline actions by the Broncos may leave them no other option than to sack them here. But these guys are integral members of the team so I would hope they hinge their punishment on the outcome of the police investigation and court case (if any).

You don't get it do you. It won't need criminal charges for club sponsors to go "I don't want my brand associated with these guys".

I do get it mate. But they aren't going to sack superstar players on the basis of an allegation, with no criminal charges brought against them, regardless of the heat it may bring from sponsors.

At the end of the day the Broncos are the most commercially attractive club in the comp, and I doubt they'd lose sponsors over this, and if they did they would be replaced pretty easily.

M

michael22

BRL Player
Sep 15, 2008
wally said:
I seriously hope neither get the chance at captaining this side again, there is more to being a leader then just on the field.

Bit extreme I think. Look at all the garbage Ricky Ponting got himself into in his younger years and now look at the leader he has become.

Don't forget the age of the players involved...

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The Broncos are fortunate that financially they're pretty secure and turning in a good profit, so they might think the long term gain from retaining these young stars in the club will pay off for short term pain in loss of some sponsors.

But that's going to be the argument, they'll do some research into it, they'll be talking to their sponsors and it'll be a decision whether to sack them based on the impact on the business as a whole.

A

Argus

BRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
We cannot retain players who engage in this sort of immoral behaviour. If we do the younger fans and junior players will latch on to this and see it as ok to behave this way if you're a good player. If the likes of Webcke, Civoniceva and Lockyer were offered the opportunity to engage in consensual sex with one female in public toilets do you imagine for one second that they would go for it? The club must seek to come out of this with it's reputation suffering as little as possible. Sacking those involved is the only option.

Steve

Steve

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Argus said:
We cannot retain players who engage in this sort of immoral behaviour. If we do the younger fans and junior players will latch on to this and see it as ok to behave this way if you're a good player. If the likes of Webcke, Civoniceva and Lockyer were offered the opportunity to engage in consensual sex with one female in public toilets do you imagine for one second that they would go for it? The club must seek to come out of this with it's reputation suffering as little as possible. Sacking those involved is the only option.

As painful as it sounds I agree this is the only option. The brand is at stake and it's more important than the players.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
Argus said:

When they were 21, I would say yes most probably.

but that is beside the point, the game and media, everything was different back then, Freddy anyone? Ricky Ponting? As has been mentioned, but history is history.

Bottom line: I would not like to see them sacked but I would understand the decision.

Hunt... what an idiot.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
michael22 said:
Coxy said:
michael22 said:
True, past hardline actions by the Broncos may leave them no other option than to sack them here. But these guys are integral members of the team so I would hope they hinge their punishment on the outcome of the police investigation and court case (if any).

You don't get it do you. It won't need criminal charges for club sponsors to go "I don't want my brand associated with these guys".

I do get it mate. But they aren't going to sack superstar players on the basis of an allegation, with no criminal charges brought against them, regardless of the heat it may bring from sponsors.

At the end of the day the Broncos are the most commercially attractive club in the comp, and I doubt they'd lose sponsors over this, and if they did they would be replaced pretty easily.

Agree with this. I don't think sponsorship considerations should enter into the decision-making here. Regardless of the outcome we will not have any trouble securing sponsorship dollars as long as we have a monopoly over the Brisbane market.

M

michael22

BRL Player
Sep 15, 2008
Argus said:

The names you mentioned are all in their mid thirties. Who knows what they were like when they were younger.

Remember Hunt is only 21.

He really wasn't doing anything A LOT of other guys would and DO get up to at any chance they can get.

A

Argus

BRL Player
Mar 10, 2008
If as seems probable, Hunt, Thaiday and Boyd play on Saturday night I will find it impossible to give them my support. I'll still be at the game but I'll probably still be in a state of shock and just sit there quietly. No cries of "Go Darius". Imagine the crowd reaction when they ran onto the field and every time they touched the ball if it were three Storm players under investigation. Lucky we have the home ground advantage.

S

Sabu_2008

QCup Player
Mar 16, 2008
He's 21, been a first grader for four years. He STILL should know better. he's in the public eye, under massive scrutiny. He's an idiot, plain and simple, and should be punished for bringing the club into disrepute.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
^
Still 21 though.
Idiots plain and simple true.
Not the first time a 21 year old boy thought with his tool instead of his brain though.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Fark you can pick the people who have no idea how the business and sponsorship world works! LOL, yeah, sponsors will be JUMPING to get involved with a club that retains players outed for this kind of behaviour.

Maybe Nokia. Or Kodak EasyShare...

J

Jeanette

NYC Player
Mar 4, 2008
michael22 said:
He really wasn't doing anything A LOT of other guys would and DO get up to at any chance they can get.

Michael22, you are only one demographic of Broncos' supporters, the more conservative supporters will not be so sympathetic.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
Coxy said:
Fark you can pick the people who have no idea how the business and sponsorship world works! LOL, yeah, sponsors will be JUMPING to get involved with a club that retains players outed for this kind of behaviour.

Maybe Nokia. Or Kodak EasyShare...

Mwuuhahahaha.

But seriously, the Broncos will retain quality exposure in prime value markets regardless of the outcome of this ordeal, and whilst that is the case sponsors will still be prepared to pay the dollars to have their brand put out there.

F

forward_pass

QCup Player
Mar 12, 2008
Opens up opportunities for different sponsors, like Klennex, Sorbent, Caroma, Nokia etc etc. Chick wasn't very smart, could have made a bucket of coin outta this.

{edit], I hate typing slow... [eusa_doh

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
lockyer47 said:
^
Still 21 though.
Idiots plain and simple true.
Not the first time a 21 year old boy thought with his tool instead of his brain though.

No, but not many 21 year olds have legions of fans and several hundred thousand dollar contracts dependant on the image he portrays of himself. Forget the role model aspect, players DO have images their managers publicise for them to attract sponsors and clubs to them. K's is about a guy mature beyond his years, a current and future leader of men...this does MASSIVE damage to that public image he has.

Just add his manager to the list of people who would be furious with him.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
I don't imagine any action will be taken until the Broncos are out of the premiership race for this year under the line of "investigations are still continuing". Rightly or wrongly these 3 will be given more preferential treatment than Te Reo, Lacey, Seymour etc due to their higher standing in the game.

Active Now

• sooticus
  • Wolfie
  • Manofoneway
  • Dexter
  • BroncosAlways
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Shane Tronc
  • Aldo
  • Browny
  • Dash
  • kiwi2
  • Lostboy
  • maddo
  • Kev_Guz
  • Horseheadsup
  • GCBRONCO
  • porouian
  • Johnny92
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.