NEWS Shock leader in Broncos captaincy race

That's all well and good but personally I just don't think he is the right man for the job. It's possible that he might have earnt the right to be forgiven, but he has not earnt the right to captain our side imo.

Then I really don't think you understand what it means to forgive

It seems you may have half forgiven Lodge

To say that I have half forgiven him is probably fairly accurate. I have forgiven him to the point of tolerating him in our football side. And in regards to understanding forgiveness, I would say that its hard to define and would vary from person to person. It's more of a personal thing, rather than one set rule in place on how to forgive people.

Actually the more I think about it, to say I forgive him doesn't even sound right. He has not done anything to me so there is nothing to be forgiven for. A better question might be whether I have accepted his worth to the team, which I have. Will I accept his appointment as Captain, probably not. Will just have to wait and see I suppose.

Do not twist my words, i am not inferring he is an idiot or that he is disrespectful to refs, however he does lack some on field discipline and give stupid penalties (i.e holding down penalties, little niggling things).

Working effectively with refs is not just not being disrespectful, it is working out the best way to achieve the best outcome for our team from that specific referee. Some respond to pressure, others respond to a lighter touch and conversations, i dont think lodge has developed the experience to determine which situation calls for which yet.

In the media, you need a well spoken clean skin, or else you and the team look like mugs (i.e. gallen and cronulla).

there are many captains in the game that are not clean skins and dont have niggle.. hell even Cameron smith is a grubby ass player been doing it for years and alot consider him the best captain the game has so i really dont get were your coming from.

lodge would be like what tallis was captain, an enforcer. That's exactly the type of captain this team needs seeing as we have so many young promising forwards coming through.

Last edited:
He’s not in even in the Broncos best 13.

If it wasn't clear that we have a serious issue with leadership within this squad, I would agree, but Glenn and Lodge are the only sources of real mongrel and passion to win in this side right now and sadly, that makes him one of our best 13.

I reckon Lodge is exactly the type of guy who will go up a level when given the captaincy.

TBH, I'm sick of the friendly soft ***** in our team, Hodges was one of our best ever captains and he wasn't a friendly **** who lost the game then went and had a laugh with the opposition.

We need that fire, Lodge has the talent and the right attitude to lead us for a long time to come.

As for PR or commercial, man, I don't give a flying ****. We're not a school cheer leaders club. Our goal is to be the best, if he's good enough to put on a jersey, he's good enough to be a captain.
Agree 100.
There is no purebred champion like a dce to choose from.
Media may not like it, but,
Based on who is available, Broncos have no choice but full mongrel alpha.

When is the media ever going to like anything we do?

there are many captains in the game that are not clean skins and dont have niggle.. hell even Cameron smith is a grubby ass player been doing it for years and alot consider him the best captain the game has so i really dont get were your coming from.

lodge would be like what tallis was captain, an enforcer. That's exactly the type of captain this team needs seeing as we have so many young promising forwards coming through.
Using your example of smith that actually proves my point. He is considered a good captain as he has mastered how to communicate and manipulate referees. As much niggling as he does on the field (which he is rarely picked up for on the field), he is still considered a media darling because off the field he has kept his nose generally clean and is well spoken.

Geez. Bit rough on Lodge. Especially coming from a shit **** like Gal. Didn’t you become captain after trying to rip out a players stitches, Paul? Wasn’t this after you racially abused a player? Didn’t you remain captain after being a drug cheat or being involved in a team cheating the salary cap? What about when you dog shot that bouncer, William? Whether Lodge is captain material or not, who are these grubs to comment on it.

Using your example of smith that actually proves my point. He is considered a good captain as he has mastered how to communicate and manipulate referees. As much niggling as he does on the field (which he is rarely picked up for on the field), he is still considered a media darling because off the field he has kept his nose generally clean and is well spoken.

ye but the thing there is only one cam smith. no other team in the comp has a cam smith he gets away with shit because he ass kisses the media and greenturd and will probably go down as the greatest footy player we have seen to date. its only recently that the media are starting to turn on him.

i guess we have differant opinions on what a captain needs to be. to me i dont care much if he can ass kiss to referees and be talked up by the media. were the broncos any way remember we get zero favours from any one so whats the point

All i want our captain to be is someone who shows passion and can inspire this young forward pack on the field and by all reports that is lodge

If it wasn't clear that we have a serious issue with leadership within this squad, I would agree, but Glenn and Lodge are the only sources of real mongrel and passion to win in this side right now and sadly, that makes him one of our best 13.

Unless something changes it is Glenn ahead of Gillett for both leadership and on-field performance.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Rambstien
  • marw
  • Fozz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.