Should code swappers be selected for representative teams?

Should code swappers be picked for rep teams?

• Yes, contracted NRL players should be picked.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nashy said:
NRL didn't have a time limit set on registrations at the time. So Bennett rushed a Broncos contract, and registered him in time. Meaning he was eligible.

It was brilliantly done.

Nashy said:
NRL didn't have a time limit set on registrations at the time. So Bennett rushed a Broncos contract, and registered him in time. Meaning he was eligible.

Take that NSW. ****.

Scotty said:
dukey said:
If code swappers can get picked, players in the European Super League should also be eligible.

He's still under contract playing in Aus so I don't see the problem.

Question, what was the loophole that allowed Langer to come back and play Origin in 01?
I do, in 6 months just like Khunt is now he will be promoting another code and AFL will be reaping the benefits, we should pick players who will still be in the code 6 months later and will help promote the game long term, not for a few weeks.

broncospwn said:
Scotty said:
dukey said:
If code swappers can get picked, players in the European Super League should also be eligible.

Question, what was the loophole that allowed Langer to come back and play Origin in 01?
I do, in 6 months just like Khunt is now he will be promoting another code and AFL will be reaping the benefits, we should pick players who will still be in the code 6 months later and will help promote the game long term, not for a few weeks.

So every player in origin is the face of promoting Rugby league? Yep, I'm sure if you showed an average AFL fan a picture of Nate Myles they would know exactly who he is.

Scotty said:
broncospwn said:
Scotty said:
dukey said:

So every player in origin is the face of promoting Rugby league? Yep, I'm sure if you showed an average AFL fan a picture of Nate Myles they would know exactly who he is.

I'm more concerned with him earning Origin player payments. That's an extra $25 000 should he play both remaining Origin matches. I'd much prefer that money to be going to somebody who takes some pride in wearing a rep jersey, and who sees Origin as the pinnacle of Australian sport, rather than just an extra payday while they're in the game.
Yes, I've stuck up for Karmichael and his decision, but if he'd announced his intentions before Origin I would've had the same opinion.
Then again, it's up to the QRL who they want to give their money to.

Bear in mind Izzy loses his "Origin superannuation" payment. I think some percentage of their match earnings gets held until retirement. I know KHunt's manager tried to challenge the ARL on it saying he was entitled to the money.

Player managers... Now there's a race I would like to see extinct :!: :evil:

Yep 50% get held until retirement but if they swap codes they lose it.

Coxy said:
Bear in mind Izzy loses his "Origin superannuation" payment. I think some percentage of their match earnings gets held until retirement. I know KHunt's manager tried to challenge the ARL on it saying he was entitled to the money.

That's still $12500 per Origin match that isn't going into the pocket/super fund of a Yow Yeh, Tonga, Tate, etc.

After Ross Livermore's declarations, looks like Folau's chances are flimsy at best.

Not too sure whether that will benefit us either, as his state of mind won't be the best... [icon_confu

broncospwn said:
Good luck to him but if he's going to a rival code there is no way he should be selected over players who are staying in the code and promoting our code and not rival codes in 6 months time.

broncospwn said:
I would love to see Tuqiri playing origin again :D

So the fact that Tuqiri walked out on league at the end of 2002, and spent the next 7 years promoting rugby union doesn't matter?

Nashy said:
The best team should be selected.

/thread

I also wonder how peoples opinions on this would change if QLD had lost the last 4 series and it was a key member of the team who couldn't be replaced with any other viable option who had signed with a rival code.

If picking someone who had defected meant the difference between winning and losing a game, would you still not pick someone who has committed to play in the NRL up until October?

It seems to me this years origin series isn't going to hinge on whether or not they select Folau anyway, so the decision and opinion of all are easier to make

According to a CH 10 poll, 57% of 2000 callers said YES to Folau playing Origin.

Looks like Izzy will be selected for Origin, not bothered either way.

He's still registered to the NRL in 2010, the best team should always be selected no matter waht they are doing next year.

Bucking Beads said:
Looks like Izzy will be selected for Origin, not bothered either way.
What do you base that on?
It appears that the powers that be have made a clear stance against it... [icon_thumbs_do

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • something
  • Financeguy
  • Lurker
  • Jedhead
  • blacknwhite
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fitzy
  • Brotherdu
  • Tim K
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Dash
  • bb_gun
  • sooticus
  • Harry Sack
  • broncos4life
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.