Should code swappers be selected for representative teams?

Should code swappers be picked for rep teams?

• Yes, contracted NRL players should be picked.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Bucking Beads said:
Picking Tuqiri is a touch hypocriticial IMO. Pick the chin...

Hypocritical? how so? the guy left the code on good terms, and he came back with huge fanfare, the NRL I'm sure has seen a jump in attendance and jersey sales out in Campbelltown because of Tuqiri..

Seeing this guy back in a QLD jumper when he is in such fine form is a certainty. It has to be, Tate just doesn't cut the mustard anymore, and I dare anyone to prove me wrong. If I am, I will accept that, but show me how Tate has been in better form this season.

Bannermania said:
Bucking Beads said:
Picking Tuqiri is a touch hypocriticial IMO. Pick the chin...

Hypocritical? how so? the guy left the code on good terms, and he came back with huge fanfare, the NRL I'm sure has seen a jump in attendance and jersey sales out in Campbelltown because of Tuqiri..

Seeing this guy back in a QLD jumper when he is in such fine form is a certainty. It has to be, Tate just doesn't cut the mustard anymore, and I dare anyone to prove me wrong. If I am, I will accept that, but show me how Tate has been in better form this season.

Hypocritical because they are not going to pick Folau because he is leaving the code, Tuqiri left the code and only came back because he got sacked by the wallabies and waratahs... Tate has been in very good form for the warriors over the last month.

Bucking Beads said:
Bannermania said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":3my1r9y0]Picking Tuqiri is a touch hypocriticial IMO. Pick the chin...

Hypocritical because they are not going to pick Folau because he is leaving the code, Tuqiri left the code and only came back because he got sacked by the wallabies and waratahs... Tate has been in very good form for the warriors over the last month.[/quote:3my1r9y0]

Tuqiri is better in every statistical aspect this season. With the exception to hit-ups. Tuqiri is more dangerous than ever, bigger as well, how he has not been seriously considered is far beyond me.

You said Tate has been good over the last month, prove to me how his stats warrant selection over Tuqiri, because Tuqiri has some serious numbers on the board atm.

Bannermania said:
Bucking Beads said:
Bannermania said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":28pes3a9]Picking Tuqiri is a touch hypocriticial IMO. Pick the chin...

Hypocritical because they are not going to pick Folau because he is leaving the code, Tuqiri left the code and only came back because he got sacked by the wallabies and waratahs... Tate has been in very good form for the warriors over the last month.

Tuqiri is better in every statistical aspect this season. With the exception to hit-ups. Tuqiri is more dangerous than ever, bigger as well, how he has not been seriously considered is far beyond me.

You said Tate has been good over the last month, prove to me how his stats warrant selection over Tuqiri, because Tuqiri has some serious numbers on the board atm.
[/quote:28pes3a9]

I know Tuqiri is better I am just saying that it is pretty hypocritical to drop Folau and select Tuqiri in his place IMO. [icon_drun

I don't think it is though, what about Brad Thorn? He left and came back.. and he played like a champion.

I don't understand the logic of ppl wanting to drop Folau, we don't drop players in the middle of finals if they are leaving to another club or code, I don't see a difference.

Going by that logic the Broncos should drop Izzy for the rest of the year as well.

He's an employee and as such must not suffer discrimination. If not viewed as an employee then on the grounds that no sporting ruling body should treat a player with discrimination. Simply retiring from a code, which it strictly speaking is, cannot be a reasonable basis for poor treatment. A sportspersons future intentions are irrelevant with the proviso that those intentions will not bring the game into disrepute.

If Folau is not selected for Origin then a reason for his non-selection must be given if for no other reason than the appearance of honesty. He has told the Rugby League world he is retiring at the end of the season to pursue other goals, no different to Darren Lockyer saying it, none whatsoever. Many footballers retire before first grade . Weakening the Origin team to punish Folau and make a statement is plainly dumb. Including him says we stay solid with our players and always wish them the best whatever their futures.

We Queenslanders have always felt loyalty to our boys, not selecting Folau for retiring is something the Cockies would do, we've always been bigger than that, not so bloody petty.

Bucking Beads said:
Bannermania said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":29bffsof]
Bannermania said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":29bffsof]Picking Tuqiri is a touch hypocriticial IMO. Pick the chin...

[/quote:29bffsof]

I know Tuqiri is better I am just saying that it is pretty hypocritical to drop Folau and select Tuqiri in his place IMO. [icon_drun[/quote:29bffsof]

It's also damaging to the prospect of us winning 5 series in a row. We're in this to win it, not to get precious about loyalty which holds no place in todays game anyway.

Dexter said:
I don't understand the logic of ppl wanting to drop Folau, we don't drop players in the middle of finals if they are leaving to another club or code, I don't see a difference.

Going by that logic the Broncos should drop Izzy for the rest of the year as well.

Sadly enough, some morons on here actually think that's what the Broncos should be doing too [eusa_doh

Yeah, because we did that to Hodges - a kid who was being earmarked to replace Wendell Sailor in the starting team in 2002 - when he decided to go to the Roosters.

Totally utterly different set of circumstances. Hodges was a rookie. Folau is an established star.

Thorn left to Union in 2001. He played Origin in 2000.
Sailor played Origin in 2001, was in Union in 2002.
Tuqiri played Origin in 2002, was in Union in 2003.

I think it's stupid. It's the lame shit that Rugby Union used to do to its defectors back in the pre-90s.

The fact is it's a free market these days. Players are fitter and more well rounded skill wise than at any time in history and with money abounding in all 3 major football codes in Australia you are going to have movement between them.

Rugby League just needs to accept that that's the case, and devise ways to make staying in league more attractive.

Here's a hypothetical, using my own personal situation.

I am employed as Project Manager for a company. My role is to ensure projects get completely successfully, on time, on budget, to desired specifications.

I walk into the office tomorrow and tell my boss I've accepted a job elsewhere. When asked why I inform him it's because of the challenge....and double salary. I start there in November, so I've given him a good 5 months notice.

The company is in the midst of a major project which is fairly close to completion, but if the eye gets taken off it in the next few weeks it could become tenuous.

Does the boss take me off the project and give it to some other staff member who is not as skillful or qualified as me, and risk the project going off the rails? Or does he stick with me until the project is safe?

Think of the State of Origin series as a project. Queensland is close to wrapping it up. A win in game 2 and it's done. I don't think anyone doubts that Israel Folau is the best qualified player for the right wing. He's done the job the past 2 series and is in great form in his club footy.

Do you really risk it by bringing in Lote Tuqiri or Brent Tate, who nobody can say is as good as Folau and who don't have the recent working relationship with the rest of the team?

Or do you let Folau play, and if we win game 2, wrap up the series, then say adios and give it to a player who will be staying longer term?

To me it's a no brainer for the QRL. They want to win the series. Folau is the best man for the job. Next year is next year. He should play.

I agree. But it looks as though they've already made their mind up, which seems to me to be ridiculous.

And somehow, I don't think Mal will step in for Folau again.

Coxy said:

I am employed as Project Manager for a company. My role is to ensure projects get completely successfully, on time, on budget, to desired specifications.

I walk into the office tomorrow and tell my boss I've accepted a job elsewhere. When asked why I inform him it's because of the challenge....and double salary. I start there in November, so I've given him a good 5 months notice.

The company is in the midst of a major project which is fairly close to completion, but if the eye gets taken off it in the next few weeks it could become tenuous.

Does the boss take me off the project and give it to some other staff member who is not as skillful or qualified as me, and risk the project going off the rails? Or does he stick with me until the project is safe?

Think of the State of Origin series as a project. Queensland is close to wrapping it up. A win in game 2 and it's done. I don't think anyone doubts that Israel Folau is the best qualified player for the right wing. He's done the job the past 2 series and is in great form in his club footy.

Do you really risk it by bringing in Lote Tuqiri or Brent Tate, who nobody can say is as good as Folau and who don't have the recent working relationship with the rest of the team?

Or do you let Folau play, and if we win game 2, wrap up the series, then say adios and give it to a player who will be staying longer term?

To me it's a no brainer for the QRL. They want to win the series. Folau is the best man for the job. Next year is next year. He should play.

+143296005^2

Coxy, while I fully agree with your stance and as far as I'm concerned Folau should be selected, you forget one major point: Emotion!

In pretty much any other profession, emotion doesn't play a significant role, but in sports, especially team sports, it is a major factor. And we all know that when emotion comes in, generally reason goes out the door... :roll:

So in short. He's leaving, so he has no passion for QLD anymore?

BS.

Scotty said:
Coxy said:

+143296005^2
-143296005^3

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Aldo
  • Porthoz
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Rambstien
  • Skathen
  • simplythebest
  • Justwin
  • kman
  • broncos4life
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.