Should the Broncos renew Hunt's contract

Should the Broncos release Ben Hunt?

• Total voters
So I have re-watched the first ten games of last season and Milfords attacking kicks aren't even close to being as good as Hunts. Hunt has set up plenty and Milford has found legs 3 times.

what's the value of this comment? and conversely, if the lurker got it right, would you and others stfu about him never getting anything right? or would that be discounted as well?

The value is that it is an accurate observation regarding people's apparent mindset that 'Ben Hunt is the devil and the sooner he is gone from Brisbane the better off we will magically be.' Which of course is batsh*t crazy.

As to the lurker getting things right, should such a miracle ever actually occur prior to it becoming general knowledge and printed / broadcast by the mass media, then I would suggest it would be due to luck rather than an ability to actually obtain a scoop, as his track record of being 99.9% wrong on just about everything he says, suggests...

But hey, lucky he always has his fall-back 'things change bro' position to excuse his error rate and general misunderstanding of just about every contract situation in the game.

So I have re-watched the first ten games of last season and Milfords attacking kicks aren't even close to being as good as Hunts. Hunt has set up plenty and Milford has found legs 3 times.

I'm sure Hunt has probably got more try assists over the last 2 seasons from short kicks than Milford, that's never really been in question, the issue more so lies with how many more opportunities that Hunt has taken attacking kicks inside the 20.

Just wingin' these numbers, but say for example Hunt has 10 try assists from short kicks over the last 2 seasons, and Milford only has 5.. That would be a reasonable disparity between a Halfback & Five-Eighth, except for the fact that Hunt probably takes 5 times as many short kicks as Milford does..

They're both at fault, Milford needs to step up and ease the burden a LOT more from Hunt in the attacking 20.. Hunt just needs to get his short kicking game more consistent and accurate.

Is the blame that Hunt receives merited in any way ? No, not the actual amount but is there any blame at all to be apportioned to Hunt himself ? Is every single detractor wrong or is it, as I suspect that he deserves SOME blame for being singled out.

I don't think people are necessarily blaming Hunt because of his appalling brain snap and subsequent fumbling in the grand final , many of us thought he was limited in several areas long before that horrible day. By Hunt's own admission he has been poor at times and I acknowledge that he certainly has strengths along with failings, as do we all. I believe he is responsible for the failings that have attracted condemnation but that condemnation is disproportionate.

I genuinely hope he improves his less skillful side and can get over the failures of the gf. If he left I'd wish him well and would not be disappointed but should he stay I'd hope he would become the complete player.

My take on it is if we can keep him for the right price, then keep him. I'm not sure he is worth pushing the boat out for however.

My take on it is if we can keep him for the right price, then keep him. I'm not sure he is worth pushing the boat out for however.

It makes sense. But the problem is nobody knows what the right price is. How long can the NRL seriously take to settle the salary cap for 2018.

The only players who should be signing contracts before its released are ones negotiating their last contract and fringe/depth players imo.

The rumors of hunt not being wanted beyond next season, don't seem to be going away. Not unlike the inglis rumors, but surely there is some substance to them .

The rumors of hunt not being wanted beyond next season, don't seem to be going away. Not unlike the inglis rumors, but surely there is some substance to them .

For mine, I'd say that comes back to the fact that we made an offer to Taylor to return. That says to me that we were looking for another option so it's on the cards....but only for the right player. We aren't going to offload him for someone like Tyronne Roberts for example.

For mine, I'd say that comes back to the fact that we made an offer to Taylor to return. That says to me that we were looking for another option so it's on the cards....but only for the right player. We aren't going to offload him for someone like Tyronne Roberts for example.

If Ash has a big season, wonder if we could see him and Hunt swap places? At the moment, i dont think there is much between them tbh. Both have things the other doesnt do so well. I dont see Hunt improving much at his age now, but i think Taylor has a bigger scope for development. If Hunt can be more consistent in his performances, i'd be happy if we stuck with him tbh.

This is what I find strange! It was said that when Taylor left , that he was basically on loan and would return. So why would he not take the offer to come back.

This is what I find strange! It was said that when Taylor left , that he was basically on loan and would return. So why would he not take the offer to come back.
Probably doesn't like Bennett. If you're on his good side, or have a good personality, Bennett seems to have good relationships with them. Someone like Ash wouldn't have had much to do with Bennett, and probably got a bit mad when he was released to the Titans. Remember he was released before Elgey got injured... It just worked out for him that he got a full season in the halves without needing to worry about being dropped.

What concerns me is that Ash was widely known as one of the best half prospects coming through, and we chose to release him. Sure it ended up helping his development with his increased first grade play time, but now we have potentially lost him for good. The Titans aren't going to let him go anytime soon, and I have a strong suspicion that when push comes to shove, the Titans will get rid of Elgey instead of Taylor if they have to from salary cap pressure.

What concerns me is that Ash was widely known as one of the best half prospects coming through, and we chose to release him. Sure it ended up helping his development with his increased first grade play time, but now we have potentially lost him for good. The Titans aren't going to let him go anytime soon, and I have a strong suspicion that when push comes to shove, the Titans will get rid of Elgey instead of Taylor if they have to from salary cap pressure.

Well it's been reported that Bennett told ash he needed to be playing first grade , and ash was appreciative of this. And like i said before , it has been said that ash was offered on some sort of deal to that would see him back here .

I do think that Taylor will be back. It will be when he is certain he will be our first choice halfback and getting decent coin. He won't leave a titans where he is getting everything he would want.

And when we released him we had just signed Milford on huge cash and we all know his ability now and potential is enormous, maybe more than almost anyone else in the game, so barring injury there is a starting half spot gone. The other starting half had just finished 4th overall in the Dally M's and should have won Dally M halfback of the year and had played tests for Australia and was starting to be seen as Qld and Australia's Thurston / Cronk heir-apparent.

Anyone who throws that away for a 'prospect' is kidding themselves. Let alone team harmony, building and playing together and all of the rest of the elements that go into a team game.

What I see happening with Ben Hunt, is his running game being close to peaking at his age, so it simply remains to be seen whether his kicking and game management issues can be sorted and if they can, then I'd have him instead of any other halfback in the game.

As for those suggesting people can't improve once they hit 27? Please. Surely you jest? You don't have to look too far...

Does anyone doubt Boyd improved this year over his last few? How old is he again?

Milford and Hunt were the best halves pairing in the comp on form at the time we released Taylor.

It looked like they were just going to keep getting better and Taylor wanted to play first grade.

You don't disrupt that for some kid that might be the next big thing.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.