Shoulder charge rule

No problem with the Wighton charge, in fact it is probably spot on. But goodness me, the justification for Ennis is absolutely disgraceful. If I tried to justify something like that in my workplace, I'd be fired in an instant.

Beuttner:

"In the case of Michael Ennis, it’s very clear that the left arm of Ennis is away from his body and not tucked into his side.So no charge was laid."

I don't even care about these teams but I'm once again livid at the NRL.

Does Beuttner have vision from the other side as its fucking impossible to see if Ennis tucked his arm or not? What a joke.

I think it is fair to say that consistency is the key problem most fans have with NRL these days. I know that the referees aren't superhuman but there are 2 of them on the field, 2 touchies and god knows how many people in the Bunker. The MRC seem flippant and the simple solution would be to remove these question marks. Referees need to man up and make the tough decisions, players need to cop it sweet. If a referee misses foul play we have a Bunker and the MRC.

I don't like all this on-field backchat to the referees that goes on now. When I was a kid you get told that what he says goes. If you don't like it you shut up, aim up and man up. If you think the ref has it in for you you either drop your head and lose or you say **** the ref we will win this regardless.There is always some bias be it from team favouritism or simple antipathy to a certain player on a certain team. Ideally, if referees get paid then they should leave that at the door, focus on making the right calls even if you cop abuse. Seems to me as though all these new rules and regulations have just muddied the water even more and referees seem powerless. The captain's challenge might actually help in this area but I fear it will slow the speed of the game.

If a player wants to put a late shot on like Ennis did they should be willing to suffer the consequences of that. He knows he put on a late shot, it happens, cop it sweet. Wighton was the same, he knew he messed up. Everyone who knows the game knows when they mess up like that. If the refs get it wrong on the field and you get put on report you go to the MRC and you take your medicine.

I don't think I like the fact that they go in to MRC Grading with lawyers either. Makes it seem as though there is some sort of wiggle room on charges. If the MRC did their job correctly that shouldn't occur. They should be able to asses and compare quite competently on their own and the charge would be fair and that is that. Similar to how a referee can send a bloke off for 10 minutes. If a lawyer ran out on the field it would be a complete joke. Even the Captains don't really get any influence on those decisions. That is the game I grew up knowing. I would always hope it was a fair one, but sometimes you do wonder if it is just your own bias or the referee's.

Also, that was a glaring forward pass from Green. Pretty sure that lead to a try. I say again, 2 refs, 2 touchies, bunker load of gobshites.

May as well put money on the Sharks to win the comp now. This finals series will be a bigger stitch up than 2014.

I said that months ago that the Sharks will win. (another SOB story victory.

After seeing the Ennis tackle from the NRL photos he clearly should have gotten off, except for the fact he is a dirty Sharks grub.

The commentators, predictable as always, are now all saying Whighton should as well. I have absolutely no doubt they are trying to muddy the waters and influence the judiciary because 3 years ago that tackle would have been celebrated as a great hit and they all hate for someone to miss a final because of that.

Wighton could easily have gone in for a legs tackle with his left shoulder but chose the big hit, he would have to be in the top 2 dumbest ***** in the game .

Last edited by a moderator:
If they want to stop shoulder charges, they should both be suspended as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise, just bring them back.

That is just it. It's like a fucking lucky dip right now with all these rule changes and the judiciary hearings. Make up your minds and stay on point ffs.

When Blair was done, wasn't his arm up? But they said because the first contact was with the shoulder it's a SC?

When Blair was done, wasn't his arm up? But they said because the first contact was with the shoulder it's a SC?

Yes they did, but there are actually 5 points they consider, not three; they don't often publish the full list though because it gets a bit wordy.

4. Does the player in question play for the Broncos?
5. Is the player currently involved in this year's fairytale team?

He wasn't done for a shoulder charge.

He was done for contact with the head.

He wasn't done for a shoulder charge.

He was done for contact with the head.

Yet he was charged with a shoulder charge. Wasn't our whole case based on the fact that he was charged with a shoulder charge, but that's not what Blair did?

You can't be on trial for theft but be found guilty of murder. Even if you did murder someone.

Last edited:
Yet he was charged with a shoulder charge. Wasn't our whole case based on the fact that he was charged with a shoulder charge, but that's not what Blair did?

You can't be on trial for theft but be found guilty of murder. Even if you did murder someone.

Wait, which incident are we talking about?

If it's the Reynolds one, he wasn't done for a shoulder charge.

It was for dangerous contact to the head. That's what the charge was.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Last edited:
What are we thinking for tonight boys? Jack gonna get off? I think he will, although it was blatantly a shoulder charge.

What are we thinking for tonight boys? Jack gonna get off? I think he will, although it was blatantly a shoulder charge.

Part of me wants him to get off because Ennis did and it would suck to end your season in this way, but the other part of me wants to gleefully watch the meltdown if he cops 4 weeks.

I think he will get off.

Nah, he's gone. Complete and utter shambles if he gets off.

You can't compare his tackle to Ennis' at the judiciary, AFAIK, so he simply cannot be found not guilty.

How the **** was Ennis not charged again?

Active Now

• Dash
  • phoenix
  • Battler
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Lurker
  • The True King
  • Financeguy
  • Brocko
  • BroncoFan94
  • Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • The Don
  • Fitzy
  • Griffo
  • Foordy
  • Manlyman
  • Broncorob
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.