Socceroos crack the world top 30

That's awesome! 28 is probably a fairer reflection of where we are in the scheme of things. As you say for a country with no history in the game and with a decent league only a few years old this is a great achievement!

Top 30?

Australia is unofficially the #1 RL nation on Earth...

is this good? [icon_confu 30! that's a lot of countries.

Hammo said:
Top 30?

Australia is unofficially the #1 RL nation on Earth...
[icon_lol1. That was my thought too.

Well officially the Kiwi's are currently no.1 and Australia are no.2 out of 3 sides who play the game seriously. So sit above only 1 team in their sport Australia now ranked 28th sit above approximately 170 teams in their sport. In Rugby League we currently sit right in the middle of the rankings, in football we sit well inside the top quarter.

From this we can deduce which is considered the better sport by the majority of people and how the 2 Australian teams are faring within the international rankings.

mrslong said:
is this good? [icon_confu 30! that's a lot of countries.

There are 208 registered countries with Fifa so its very good!

FCB BB AKA MB said:
From this we can deduce which is considered the better sport by the majority of people and how the 2 Australian teams are faring within the international rankings.

Well that's one way of looking at it. Another way is that one could say soccer is a much easier (not necessarily better) sport to play so that's why more people play it.

FCB BB AKA MB said:
Well officially the Kiwi's are currently no.1 and Australia are no.2 out of 3 sides who play the game seriously. So sit above only 1 team in their sport Australia now ranked 28th sit above approximately 170 teams in their sport. In Rugby League we currently sit right in the middle of the rankings, in football we sit well inside the top quarter.

With a comment like that I think you may have gone to a public school in Gympie, so if you did forgive me for asking, however; if the Socceroo's are in the "top quarter of teams who play the game seriously" (which I would suggest means teams that are competitive) can you name the 112 competitive soccer-playing nations?

At best, there is 50. So that puts the Socceroo's 28/50 and the Kangaroo's 2/3.

The majority of those 208 nations would consider football either its national sport or its 2nd or 3rd most loved sport, just like Rugby League is here in the top 2 or 3.

The doesn't hide the undeniable fact that the majority of those 208 nations will never (at least not in the forseeable future) be competitive.

They won't become competitive until the countries can afford to feed it's residents, then perhaps they'll be able to buy some shoes for them, then perhaps one day even soccer boots...and who knows, they might even grow some grass and build a field? We can dream....

I'm not quite sure what your point is Hammo, again you're either baiting, or a complete moron... in RL Australia (which is the dominant force) is usually the best team in the world out of 3 competitive nations. In soccer, Australia (which is only a slightly above average force so to speak) is now ranked 28th out of around 50-60 competitive nations. Considering our domestic league is of pretty poor standards and we have a limited amount of good players playing elsewhere in the world, I'd say the socceroos getting to where they are now is a pretty good acheivement.

Isnt there a v8 race on hammo and mrslong? if there isnt, why arent you outside fixing up your commodores/Geminis.

This is the stupidest argument ever. Football has a LOT of competitive nations and is the biggest sport in the world. Rugby League, while popular in (northern-central east coast of) Australia it wouldnt even rank in the top 20 sports in the world and there are only 2 other teams that are any good at it and they are both kinda crap anyway. Its kinda like saying "i think John Smith did a way better job coming 2nd in a race against 7 retards at the local park as opposed to Matt Shirvington who came 28th at the olympic games".

They just dont even compare. Now back to rolling up menthol cigarettes or something you bogans!

As for the actual FIFA world rankings. i never really take them that seriously really. A real test of where we are at is when we play Japan in February.

pennywisealfie said:
Its kinda like saying "i think John Smith did a way better job coming 2nd in a race against 7 retards at the local park as opposed to Matt Shirvington who came 28th at the olympic games".

[icon_lol1. Very apt comparison penny icon_thumbs_u

Massive achievement.

Seriously, considering the last three decades of the sport in Australia, it just goes to show that Australia could well be anything in world football. The A-League will just keep getting better IMO... it's been the #1 sport for junior numbers for so long and the lack of a decent national comp is what drove many, many thousands either away from the sport or overseas.

The next step for us is simply being a regular qualifier for the WC.

mick! said:
Massive achievement.

Seriously, considering the last three decades of the sport in Australia, it just goes to show that Australia could well be anything in world football. The A-League will just keep getting better IMO... it's been the #1 sport for junior numbers for so long and the lack of a decent national comp is what drove many, many thousands either away from the sport or overseas.

The next step for us is simply being a regular qualifier for the WC.

Thats correct man. Australians are known to be naturally gifted at sport. Our government also spends a f*ckload of money on sports development. We could seriously be cracking the top 10 in the next 20 years, its very very possible.

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • Maroon4life
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Stix
  • Harry Sack
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.