SOO 2013 General discussion thread

They should have stuck with Hayne the entire time instead of swapping and changing.

Offensively Hayne is potentially more dangerous however defensively he's lazy and gets caught out of position.

Offensively Hayne is potentially more dangerous however defensively he's lazy and gets caught out of position.

He made 3 try saving tackles on Tariq Sims last Saturday, if it wasn't for Hayne the Cowboys would've won by 30.

But Broncoman, that's just one game, does he do that week in week out?

tumblr_mm6w29rhdr1rymaf5o1_250.gif

He has already exhausted his try saving moments for this season in last week's game, which is good for the Broncs this Saturday and even better for the Maroons if he lines up at the back for them.

They should announce the origin teams, 2 weeks in advance.

Id post the link but u have to register for DT now so screw that..

Cronulla's Paul Gallen is set to shift from the back row to prop for another 80 minutes of hardship in State of Origin I.

Blues coach Laurie Daley told The Daily Telegraph last night he was leaning toward using Gallen up front alongside James Tamou as his starting props for the ANZ Stadium series opener.

In other Origin developments:

* MANLY'S Jorge Taufua has now slipped alongside Nathan Merritt, Akuila Uate and Brett Morris for a NSW winger spot;

* CANBERRA'S Blake Ferguson has secured the other wing position;

* JAMES Maloney has moved ahead of Todd Carney for the five-eighth spot;

* MANLY'S Glenn Stewart has come back into contention despite missing six matches through injury; and

* NEWCASTLE'S Willie Mason is still an outside chance for a forward position.

NATHAN HINDMARSH EXPECTS NEW FACES IN NSW ORIGIN PACK

Watch
Nathan Hindmarsh expects new faces in NSW Origin pack
Nathan Hindmarsh says there will be a few new faces, especially in the forward pack, in the NSW Origin side.
Play
0:00 / 1:05Scrubber
mute
Fullscreen
Picking Gallen at prop leaves the backrow open.

Stewart, Luke Lewis, Greg Bird, Anthony Watmough and Ryan Hoffman are pushing for game one spots.

Daley is also tossing up whether to have a utility player on the bench - which would be Newcastle's Kurt Gidley - or run with four forwards.

Two backrowers who miss starting spots could revert back to the bench along with candidates Trent Merrin, Tim Grant, Andrew Fifita and Mason. It appears Aaron Woods has been overlooked.

Asked where Gallen would play, Daley said: "It's a tough one. Paul has been a warrior for NSW. He is our skipper.

"We have to determine where he best fits the team. There are other contentious spots but I still have a few days to go before the team is announced. I am mulling over a few positions with (chief adviser) Bob Fulton. But I know whoever is chosen will represent the sky blue jumper with pride and passion."

A wing spot remains open. Morris will be selected if he can make a miraculous return from a knee injury.

Failing that, Taufua, Uate and Merritt are level-pegging. Taufua's power running coming out from his own line may give him a small edge.

Maloney and Carney are close but - as revealed in The Daily Telegraph last week - the Roosters star's goalkicking has put him slightly in front. As expected, Robbie Farah will be named hooker.

Daley said he was ready for the ANZ Stadium match - after months of waiting.

"I'm excited," he said.

"It is the start of a long process. I have been waiting patiently - or impatiently - for eight to nine months. We will do the state proud and are ready to give it our best."

Already 70,000 seats have been sold for Origin I and, remarkably, 52,000 seats have been sold for Origin III.

So looks like we have the following locked in if this is true

1. Hayne
2. Ferguson
3. Jennings
4. Morris
5. Morris / Uate / Tafua / Merrit
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Gallen
11 - 13. Stewart / Lewis / Bird / Watmough / Hoffman

14 - 17.
Stewart / Lewis / Bird / Watmough / Hoffman / Merrin / Grant / Andrew Fifita / Mason.

Mixed report for the Blues.

Ferguson is an interesting call. Capable of things most players aren't including some terrible brain snaps. Maybe exploited in this arena although maybe that ultimatium from Furner earlier in the season snapped him out of his delusional GI wannabe style of play.

I'd prefer Taufua over Merritt honestly, although if I'm Queensland I'm sending at least a few bombs his way early in the game.

Maloney or Carney...doesn't make a big difference to me. I think the Maloney love-fest is a bit over-stated, I think SBW is a better playmaker than Maloney down those fringes but we'll see. His defence seems to have improved, I wonder if that will hold much water come Origin time?

I still think G. Stewart is underdone and his performances for the Blues in the past have done little for me. I'd stick with Lewis on the right fringe.

Mason is better than Ben Creagh...but there's at least 3-4 props better than Mason who deserve a go before him.

Blake Ferguson isn't a bad selection he is a freakish player and a player of the future and is in great form.

Maloney or Carney...doesn't make a big difference to me. I think the Maloney love-fest is a bit over-stated, I think SBW is a better playmaker than Maloney down those fringes but we'll see. His defence seems to have improved, I wonder if that will hold much water come Origin time?

I think there's a pretty big difference. Carney is a just much more likely to create something in addition to his running game, while Maloney is much less creative and more of a support player. Considering how terrible Pearce has been in Origin, I think they'd go well together, but if it's just one it has to be Carney.

So looks like we have the following locked in if this is true1. Hayne2. Ferguson3. Jennings4. Morris5. Morris / Uate / Tafua / Merrit6. Maloney7. Pearce8. Tamou9. Farah10. Gallen11 - 13. Stewart / Lewis / Bird / Watmough / Hoffman14 - 17. Stewart / Lewis / Bird / Watmough / Hoffman / Merrin / Grant / Andrew Fifita / Mason.
I like that team. Plenty of strikepower to squash the Maroons.

Unread

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • sooticus
  • Manifesto
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bish
  • Broncosgirl
  • Shane Tronc
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncoscope
  • john1420
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.