SOO 2013 General discussion thread

Watching the replay of Game III last year and all the Blues still bitching about the Hodges try...there was 3 other incidents later in the game which I thought QLD were unlucky with:

1) Smith's break leading to Inglis' nearly-try in minute 55 or 56 - Hayne is hanging off Inglis' leg and pulls on it to prevent him playing the ball, long after the tackle was made. That should have been a send-off offence if Hodges' tackle on Morris earlier this year is any indication, but not even a penalty was called. Thurston throws a crap pass immediately from that play the ball and NSW ends up with it - it's conceivable we would have scored (even just 2) if a penalty was given as it should have been.

2) Refs called a knock on against Matt Scott in minute 65/66 when it clearly went backwards; this put NSW on the attack for a repeat set when they were already building pressure. Didn't result in points, but could have.

3) Minute 75-ish, we're putting stacks of pressure on their goal line, Hayne knocks on - but it's called play on.

It was definitely a closer game, but bitching that QLD won just because of the Hodges try is weak. QLD had generally better 5th tackle options and played 70% of the game in NSW's half. Generally the reffing was good though, a nice reminder - hope it's as good and as non-intrusive again this year.

NSW

thatsthejoke.jpg

Watching the replay of Game III last year and all the Blues still bitching about the Hodges try...there was 3 other incidents later in the game which I thought QLD were unlucky with:

1) Smith's break leading to Inglis' nearly-try in minute 55 or 56 - Hayne is hanging off Inglis' leg and pulls on it to prevent him playing the ball, long after the tackle was made. That should have been a send-off offence if Hodges' tackle on Morris earlier this year is any indication, but not even a penalty was called. Thurston throws a crap pass immediately from that play the ball and NSW ends up with it - it's conceivable we would have scored (even just 2) if a penalty was given as it should have been.

2) Refs called a knock on against Matt Scott in minute 65/66 when it clearly went backwards; this put NSW on the attack for a repeat set when they were already building pressure. Didn't result in points, but could have.

3) Minute 75-ish, we're putting stacks of pressure on their goal line, Hayne knocks on - but it's called play on.

It was definitely a closer game, but bitching that QLD won just because of the Hodges try is weak. QLD had generally better 5th tackle options and played 70% of the game in NSW's half. Generally the reffing was good though, a nice reminder - hope it's as good and as non-intrusive again this year.

dont forget morris' try! the only way he could get the ball down was by pushing it against boyds back the entire time, which, under the rules is a knock on. no-one ever mentions that one!

True [MENTION=1771]QUEENSLANDER[/MENTION] - I did replay that one a few times and while I'd be happy with a knock-on call, I was happy enough for them to give it a try too. Could have gone either way, he never really let go of the ball so it wasn't really a knock on - but if Boyd wasn't there, he likely would have dropped it, which would have been.

Can't wait to kick some blue arse again this year :thumbup1: REALLY starting to get excited now...4 MORE SLEEPS!!!!

I have the belief that, for a true Maroons supporter, the only thing that outweighs your hatred of NSW should be your love for Queensland.

I remember the first series I watched, when I wasn't really interested in footy. In Game I, Queensland were soundly beaten. Dad was pretty annoyed and frustrated during and after the game, and at the time, I couldn't understand why. The following game, we blitzed the Blues and Dad went nuts. At that point, I still didn't quite understand the big deal. Then, in the Decider, the Maroons prevailed in a really tight one. The sense of satisfaction and awe in watching Queensland experience the highs and lows throughout that six-week period and come out on top led to me truly understanding why Origin is so special. I'll let you guess which series that was.

Queenslanders worship many players - Lockyer, Inglis and Slater come to mind. But I think we have to thank Brett Hodgson for a lot of our success, and for saving us from a NSW four-in-a-row sweep.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at game 2 in 2006. The atmosphere was electric.

I'm sick of this revisionist history of Game 3 06.

If we're playing ifs and buts - what if the video referee was actually competent?

I'm sick of this revisionist history of Game 3 06.

If we're playing ifs and buts - what if the video referee was actually competent?
Like the Hodgson try?

Seriously though, I don't care what the refs did, Locky won that game in a game winning play that typified his career so it all worked out brilliantly.

If the refs didn't cheat and we didn't start the comeback that was 101% QLD spirit, and Tate didn't score that try and Lockyer didn't magically steal the game from the NSWankers....it probably wouldn't have been what's now arguably the greatest Origin win of all time.

Yeah, Lockyers try is what brought Queenslands confidence back and lead to the current dynasty.

Queenslanders worship many players - Lockyer, Inglis and Slater come to mind. But I think we have to thank Brett Hodgson for a lot of our success, and for saving us from a NSW four-in-a-row sweep.

I cry like a baby watching the last few minutes of this....I'll never forget what that night felt like as long as I live....

Last edited by a moderator:
For game 3 in 06 I was at the RSL in Emerald. I was going nuts at the end but my Dad and Brother were trying to get me to shut up as I was giving it large to this fat bastard blues fan who was ripping into us all game. Such an awesome feeling to win in the face of adversity. Bullshit calls left and right but we hung in there, 'cause thats what we do best.

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • jd87
  • Broncorob
  • Culhwch
  • Shane Tronc
  • Financeguy
  • Mister Wright
  • Dash
  • Lurker
  • winslow_wong
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.