South Africa V Australia test series

Knew shaun marsh wouldn't be up for this fight... He's a waste of time.. Between the occasional century he delivers about two fifths of **** all

It's the winter Ashes series revisited.. In all honesty we've done amazingly well to get through this summer sans a batting atrocity .. Was only a matter of time before a decent attack tore our brittle batting to shreds

Wasted a great start. Built up false hope ffs

We've relied on Mitch too heavily. If he hasn't bowled teams out we've folded. Disgraceful collapse.

If Clarke wasn't captain his spot would be under pressure. 11 straight innings not scoring anymore than 25. Will he match Mark Taylor's effort?

Better not rain tomorrow. Crap effort from everyone bar Rogers and Warner

Despite recent poor form I think Clarke is safe. He's had a stellar two years and given who we have in the team right now he's in no danger of going anywhere, even if he weren't captain.

And because I have an agenda, here's a fun trivia question...

Which player has been dismissed for a duck in 40% of his innings and failed to surpass 20 runs in 67% of his innings?

Yep, it's Shaun Marsh. Granted, he's only played 15 test innings, but 6 ducks is ridiculous for a top order batsman. Dave Warner only has 2 in his career, and he's played almost 4 times as many innings.

Last edited:
Marsh should never have been there but he is now and needs to be given the third test. That was absolutely disgraceful by everyone looked flat that test and it happens occasionally. Third test will be a cracker I'm sure. Credit to SA in this test but there was some shocking umpiring and I hope it is discussed in the media to put pressure on them.

If Clarke wasn't captain his spot would be under pressure. 11 straight innings not scoring anymore than 25. Will he match Mark Taylor's effort?

in contrast to that, isn't AB DeVilliers on a streak of ten or twelve innings making 50+ ?

The collapse was a joke but the Steyn spell was superb. He is the best bowler in the world. Our bowlers also let us down this test although our batsmen were far far worse. Marsh gets a pair after looking so good in the first test. That is classic Marsh. Haddin has looked out of form this series. Clarke hasn't looked in great touch either so he needs a big one. I am sure Watson will come in for the next test. Also question will be asked about Siddle and Harris as they have looked well down on their ashes form. I am really interested to see how we bounce back from this humiliation. We knew this team could have days like this.

Final test will be a real indicator of where we're at .. The team as whole and particularly a few individuals have grown pretty accustomed to bossing their opposition over the last few months .. A loss like that has the potential to put a dent or three in that self belief and momentum.

One of the characteristics of elite teams across all sports is that they hit back super hard after bad defeats .. South Africa just did it, now it's up to us to do the same.

Hopefully we see the very best of both teams in the last test. That will truly be a great test to watch. As it stands Australia have dominated one test and South Africa have dominated the second test. This often happens in battles of two good teams. If one is a tiny bit off they get blown away. It has happened in both tests. I think the Aussies got a little bit arrogant and just thought they would win. I must admit I didn't expect South Africa to come back as hard. They played like we did in the first test.

Yep the third test will be epic and this what we all wanted really isn't it? A deciding last test between the two best bowling sides in world cricket.

The collapse was a joke but the Steyn spell was superb. He is the best bowler in the world. Our bowlers also let us down this test although our batsmen were far far worse. Marsh gets a pair after looking so good in the first test. That is classic Marsh. Haddin has looked out of form this series. Clarke hasn't looked in great touch either so he needs a big one. I am sure Watson will come in for the next test. Also question will be asked about Siddle and Harris as they have looked well down on their ashes form. I am really interested to see how we bounce back from this humiliation. We knew this team could have days like this.

Yep the first time Johnson doesn't take wickets and we look pedestrian. I'd bet the Aussies would love to know how they git the ball to go Irish AND how they were so confident it would reverse they held back Steyn to take advantage. Not a bad call considering they couldn't reverse it at all in the first test. Hmmmmmm, anyone got a tickle in their throat, need a lozenge?

Yep the first time Johnson doesn't take wickets and we look pedestrian. I'd bet the Aussies would love to know how they git the ball to go Irish AND how they were so confident it would reverse they held back Steyn to take advantage. Not a bad call considering they couldn't reverse it at all in the first test. Hmmmmmm, anyone got a tickle in their throat, need a lozenge?

Very few Australian bowlers past or present have been able to exploit reverse swing and or effectively use it to their advantage when it does start reversing .. Glen McGrath, Brett Lee and Greg Blewett were the only decent exponents of it imo and the latter was only a part time bowler.

As good a bowling coach as Craig McDermott is I wonder how much discussion / tuition there is from him re irish swing given he didn't really rely on it during his career.

Might be worth getting on the phone to Wasim Akram and seeing if he can spend a little time with our bowlers too

Very few Australian bowlers past or present have been able to exploit reverse swing and or effectively use it to their advantage when it does start reversing .. Glen McGrath, Brett Lee and Greg Blewett were the only decent exponents of it imo and the latter was only a part time bowler.

As good a bowling coach as Craig McDermott is I wonder how much discussion / tuition there is from him re irish swing given he didn't really rely on it during his career.

Might be worth getting on the phone to Wasim Akram and seeing if he can spend a little time with our bowlers too

Agree we are crap at it, but it is to me a bit sus that they were so confident they were going to make it reverse they kept their best bowler back. I might be barking up the wrong tree but very sus.

No Dex you're right. They prepared the pitch accordingly. All that stuff pre match with groundsman waiting to be told what to prepare. At least pretend to be non partisan FFS .

Active Now

• scobie
  • Xzei
  • Dexter
  • bb_gun
  • broncsgoat
  • broncoscope
  • sooticus
  • Jedhead
  • Gaz
  • Stix
  • Yellowfella
  • Harry Sack
  • Alec
  • Justwin
  • Wolfie
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.