Mar 5, 2008
They offloaded 37 times!

We only offloaded 7 times.

Cue the seedy guy.

M

Major JW Hochstetter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
If big Dave was a car, you'd be filling him up twice a day.

He was deadset ready to chunder after his first hit up.

R

Raw Boned Youngster

QCup Player
Mar 9, 2008
I agree that this game was one of the better performances.

I don't get how a side that trains together very frequently can be so disjointed and lacking in ideas in tackles 1 through to 5. It is not good enough for forwards to just run hard or for the halves to spin it wide later in the count.

The team needs to move opoosition defences and defenders around.
We don't.
The guy who is going to receive the ball might as well have a light on him.
As a result, defences can wrap us up without denting their patterns. Our very low off load percentages mean that second phase defence is rarely required.
Defences stay in tact and we are not tiring them out.

The golden attacking option in the game is to attack broken, disjointed or fatigued defences.
We don't create this.

I have been to Storm training sessions and the amount of time they spend on slight variations at the ruck is one of the reasons why they are such a dangerous team. They have decoy plays that look similar but are actually quite different.
They move defensive players around and confuse teams all in their set up hit up plays in the early tackles.

Cameron Smith, after a couple of weeks with the SOO squad, was able to create diversion plays brilliantly in games 1 and 2.
Personally, I would spent any money we get from our yearly fire sale on a coach.
Henjak's lack of creativity is a major disappointment.
Tim Sheens is the man.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Henjacks interview at the airport B4 the game said a lot. We have a young side and we did a lot better at the start of the season than we anticipated.
Well, he may as well have said we never thought we could do much this year and I currently have no idea how to improve this squad. His lack of expectation has to rub off on the team.
Someone said it earlier , we are a bunch of softc@#ks in D. We have zero sting in our tackles and every forward pack in the comp finishes on top of us.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If I see the suggestion of Tim Sheens as coach again I am going to explode.... Henjak is in his first year of coaching ffs give him a break..

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, no thx to Tim Sheens. We'd have Clinton playing on the wing, Kenny playing at lock, Folau playing in the centres etc.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
If we had Tim Sheens as coach, we could put money on, that we wouldn't make the 8.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
We are off the pace that's for sure. Let's get a win first. short term goals first. We NEED a win next week now, we've shown we can compete on the scoreboard now its time to come up with a result. Simply, another loss means we are not serious. Waiting until origin 3 is over and then a miracle streak to the finals and beyond is a tough, tough ask and almost certainly asking for a burn out.

D

daryld

Jun 28, 2009
I pray everyday for a sniper to take Steve Michaels out, his attack is complete rubbish! And where's P J Marsh? He's been miles better than Gorrell, the only thing he's excelled at is getting a tan.

C

Chumbason

BRL Player
May 10, 2009
I find it so hard to watch them play these days...

We can't or won't put the man and the ball on the ground.
We can't or won't or won't offload.
We can't or won't stop offloads.
We leak points bad.
We struggle to score points.

Why is it so?

F

forward_pass

QCup Player
Mar 12, 2008
Forward pass after forward pass.... both teams, are you allowed to do that now?

Anyways, I'm dissappointed in Corey's goal kicking at the moment, I reckon if he knocked one of them over we win.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
I agree with lockyer47. Our first goal should be just to win our next game. Not to find more effort, more heart or whatever, just WIN. A win against the Warriors would be a 4-point win with the bye the following week. Very very handy. We should then beat Souths the following week.

Then Origin is over - so I want to see a confirmed 17 that we will stick with every week for the rest of the season (barring injuries). No more rotations, just pick the best team and stick with it. Our main problem over the last month or so has been the inconsistency with our 1-6-7-9. I know that with Origin, that cannot be helped, so I am not blaming anyone for that, but after that is over, it's imperative we find a combination and stick to it. I don't think Marsh or Gorrell are upto it for the 9, so just pick McCullough. He may be seen as green at the moment but he is better than those other 2. So he is our best option. Then it's obvious who the 1-6-7 will be. If we set that combo and stick with it, I have no doubt we will improve.

K

kelsey tisdale

U18 Player
Aug 16, 2008
at least we didn't concede 40 again...

That was only because of the standard of the opposition who are still wooden spoon candidates, there wasn't any improvement today, there are far too many passengers on this side and as the injury toll eventually mounts the severe lack of depth will show up even more, they probably only need to win 4 of 9 (5 to be safe) to make the top eight but it will be an early exit from the playoffs, they don't have the playing roster nor the coaching staff to be a force this season.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I'm not disappointed with the team. They tried and in the end they just barely lost if you take into account the terrible goal kicking. Not having two of our best players I thought the effort was good.

I think it's a bit sad that our best players who tried hardest were the guys who came from Origin, should be the other way around or better everyone should be trying their hardest, enough dreaming though!

I reckon with Folau and Hodges back next week and a semi-good performance this week, I think this week may be the "turning" corner and we'll come out firign next week and considering the bye will mean we get a 4 point and be back in the 8.

There are 4 teams above us all equal on points, only p/d is separating 5th from 9th and 10th is 3 points back. 4 points would have us on 22 and would have us coming end post-origin needing to win 3 out of the final 8 to make the finals or likely 4 due to poor differential which is far from unattainable if we can get some consistency at the very least with team selections, mainly at hooker.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
our main problem - our forwards dont go in to a hitup looking to offload. if the opportunity arises, we sometimes take it, but we dont intentionally go in with the idea of offloading. just about every other team has at least 2 - 3 players who as soon as they hit the defensive line, try get the arm free to pop the ball out. 2nd phase play is killing us.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Lockyer always seems to play well against the Eels - I still maintain that before yesterday his last "good" performance was back in Round 7 against the Eels.

I also thought Hunt, Clinton and Thaiday played strongly and McGuire, Williams and McCullough showed some good signs. The rest were either solid, inconsistent or flat out poor.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
broncospwn said:
I'm not disappointed with the team. They tried and in the end they just barely lost if you take into account the terrible goal kicking. Not having two of our best players I thought the effort was good.

I think it's a bit sad that our best players who tried hardest were the guys who came from Origin, should be the other way around or better everyone should be trying their hardest, enough dreaming though!

I reckon with Folau and Hodges back next week and a semi-good performance this week, I think this week may be the "turning" corner and we'll come out firign next week and considering the bye will mean we get a 4 point and be back in the 8.

There are 4 teams above us all equal on points, only p/d is separating 5th from 9th and 10th is 3 points back. 4 points would have us on 22 and would have us coming end post-origin needing to win 3 out of the final 8 to make the finals or likely 4 due to poor differential which is far from unattainable if we can get some consistency at the very least with team selections, mainly at hooker.

I agree - especially insofar as the â€Origin Argument“ doesn't explain our recent performances. Yesterday, our Origin players, IMO, were our best.

Missing Hodges and Folau, and losing Kenny IS a big factor.

Settling on a consistent team - especially hooker is also, IMO, critical now.

At the same time, I just cannot see this team going forward enough to make a real difference this year. The first half of the season was pretty ok, but we should be improving. BUT - IMO, looking at all our performances, we're actually going backwards, not forwards, or at least treading water.

This is Henjak's first year so he does deserve a break, yet I wonder given he was mentored by Bennett, why are the Dragons going so well in Bennett's first year with them, yet we seem to be not doing that much different than when Bennett coached us in his last 2 years.

I reckon our roster is as good as the Dragons. Yet overall, our attack is predictable. Defence is woeful, there's no consistently effective communication on the field to gel our attack and defence AS A UNIT.

IMO, therefore, the real problem for the Broncos is the attitude of many of the players, and the club culture which doesn't seem to have changed that much over the last 7 years, and that's where at least 1 critical change has to come from if this year is to be salvageable.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I don't get how a side that trains together very frequently can be so disjointed and lacking in ideas in tackles 1 through to 5. It is not good enough for forwards to just run hard or for the halves to spin it wide later in the count.

Our team has not regularly trained together since before Origin 1.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Sproj
  • sooticus
  • Jedhead
  • Skyblues87
  • Rowdy124
  • Culhwch
  • Fatboy
  • barker
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bucking Beads
  • Hoof Hearted
  • ozzball
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.