State of Origin 2023 - Game I Discussion

Because their game plan doesn’t suit him. He was one dimensional because that was obviously their plan. But he should have been looking for those offloads. I hate that I’m defending a NSW player and you know I dislike Haas as a person as much as you do, but they just don’t use him correctly.
I don't disagree with what you are saying. I don't think Payne was a big issue for them. Thought he had a decent game but his performance really isn't my point tbf. I don't think they have any forwards who are great Origin players. They have some great forwards at club level, but they don't step up levels say like Carrigan did last year, or like Nate Myles always used to.

I still think it's all down to the Queensland mentality.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. I don't think Payne was a big issue for them. Thought he had a decent game but his performance really isn't my point tbf. I don't think they have any forwards who are great Origin players. They have some great forwards at club level, but they don't step up levels say like Carrigan did last year, or like Nate Myles always used to.

I still think it's all down to the Queensland mentality.
Liam Martin gets it. He plays footy whereas the others just want to do dodgy shit. When was the last time NSW had a tough player that didn’t do dog shots to prone players?

He made 27 tackles last night and didn't have a miss- he was great in the middle amongst guys who are more agile and nimble than him he defended his arse off all night.
Again though, I haven't criticised his performance. Payne does what he always does. I've said it multiple times already. The thing is, and I'm sure you can ask any great Queenslander this, what makes a great Queensland player can't be quantified by statistics.

Liam Martin gets it. He plays footy whereas the others just want to do dodgy shit. When was the last time NSW had a tough player that didn’t do dog shots to prone players?

I've seen him do plenty of dodgy shit but I get your point. For me, NSW pick a great club side, Queensland pick a team to play Origin footy.

Again though, I haven't criticised his performance. Payne does what he always does. I've said it multiple times already. The thing is, and I'm sure you can ask any great Queenslander this, what makes a great Queensland player can't be quantified by statistics.

You have, you said he's not an Origin player- that's a pretty big criticism. 27 tackles in the middle and not missing any is exactly what you'd want from Myles and he was lauded for it.

You have, you said he's not an Origin player- that's a pretty big criticism. 27 tackles in the middle and not missing any is exactly what you'd want from Myles and he was lauded for it.

No, as usual you are twisting it. I'm saying he doesn't go up a level in Origin, not that he isn't a good player.

Myles was lauded in Origin because he went from a bang average forward in club land to a beast in Origin. You are too wrapped up in statistics and they mean very little in Origin. Statistically, NSW should have beaten us. They didn't because the things you need to get through in Origin under adversity they don't have like Queensland do. And they don't show up in the stat's.

He's not an origin forward. He did OK but we handled him just fine.

You said it.

No, as usual you are twisting it. I'm saying he doesn't go up a level in Origin, not that he isn't a good player.

Myles was lauded in Origin because he went from a bang average forward in club land to a beast in Origin. You are too wrapped up in statistics and they mean very little in Origin. Statistically, NSW should have beaten us. They didn't because the things you need to get through in Origin under adversity they don't have like Queensland do. And they don't show up in the stat's.

it's got nothing to do with stats- if you don't miss a tackle that is outstanding in Origin. If your three front rowers didn't miss a tackle that's a pretty good platform to win most Origins.

I get your point and agree.......

Payne doesn't / can't step it up for SOO.

Quantify stepping up? If not missing a tackle and taking your team forward isn't stepping up against the best players.

Do want three-line breaks from your front row?

You said it.

it's got nothing to do with stats- if you don't miss a tackle that is outstanding in Origin. If your three front rowers didn't miss a tackle that's a pretty good platform to win most Origins.
We handled him fine. You are banging on about stat's when I said he didn't play badly. Not sure of your point. You say it's not about stat's then quote stat's.

I'm still waiting to see him play levels above his ability to put him up there with the Origin great forwards. You either must be a NSWelshman who just doesn't get what Origin is about, or you are just playing dumb.

I'm not going to go all in and say he never will because he clearly has the ability. I dont even think i could say ive seen him play poorly for NSW. I've just never seen him change a game like Carrigan did in game one last year for example.

Thing that annoys me a bit is I levelled the same criticism about Paulo and the other nsw forwards but people are seeming to focus on Payne because I haven't liked the way he carried on in the past, this despite me saying I think he's turned a corner and seems better as a person these days.

Quantify stepping up? If not missing a tackle and taking your team forward isn't stepping up against the best players.

Stat's again
The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

We handled him fine. You are banging on about stat's when I said he didn't play badly. Not sure of your point. You say it's not about stat's then quote stat's.

I'm still waiting to see him play levels above his ability to out him up there with the Origin great forwards. You either must be a NSWelshman who just doesn't get what Origin is about, or you are just playing dumb.

It's pretty simple, you said he's not an Origin player- I said 27 tackles in the middle and not missing any is pretty outstanding for a middle over 50 minutes. I'd take it from any front rower and pat them on the back.

I thought his defence was outstanding. Twice he got hold of Cotter when Cotter is much quicker than him and more agile. Cotter is also an excellent play the baller and he slowed him down.

He did/does what he does every week in the NRL.......

You need the next level in your game to successfully play SOO.

1-2 line breaks with 2-3 offloads.......as well as his defence
should do it.....

I'm actually surprised his stats last night were that impressive....seemed to be MIA for much of the game for mine.

Basically, the difference between Payne’s best game and worst game is zero. What he does week in, week out is good enough for any level of the game. Why should he be expected to step up on what he already does at a level above everyone else? What he lacks is on field aggression and that is what’s noticeable at origin level.

You put him in that QLD side instead of say Tino or even Collins and you would love what he does and that is no slight on Tino or Collins. All three are great at origin level.

He did/does what he does every week in the NRL.......

You need the next level in your game to successfully play SOO.

1-2 line breaks with 2-3 offloads.......as well as his defence
should do it.....

I'm actually surprised his stats last night were that impressive....seemed to be MIA for much of the game for mine.

Which front rower has ever made two line breaks a game? Come on. I've been in camp when Bennett has told players that everyone getting 8/10 wins you an origin. We don't need 10 and we don't four. Everyone gets an 8 and we win.

Payne is consistently an 8/10. He does his job which is exactly what Origin is about.

To expect six line breaks a series from him is insane.

There aren't many 23 year old forwards that dominate Origin.

He will one day.

Unread

Active Now

• barker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.