State of Origin 2023 - Game I Discussion

Nsw pack dominated ours they had better of field just their halves were awful and Tedesco was just stifling their attack. If nsw go 1. Mitchell 6.Hynes and 7. Reynolds in game 2 NSW have very good chance of winning.

Lazo- three line breaks in 19 games.
Harragon three line breaks 20 games.
Webcke two line breaks in 21 games.
Petero two line breaks in 31 games.
Price two line breaks in 28 games.
Bella 1 line break from 21 games
Morris two from four games!
Brown five from 10 games! That's impressive from Burger.

Yet Payne needs that a game. Seems totally fair expectation on a front rower. I'd like to see him kick goals and drive the bus too before I will rate him.

Payne played as he usually does at any level TBH. He was fine, I don't think he can elevate his game for Origin though because I think he gives 100% every week so what you see for the Broncos is what you'll see for NSW and Australia. I don't think we'll see "Origin" plays from him because there are other great players in the NSW pack that he doesn't need to do things like that try vs the Sharks at Suncorp a few seasons back.

Basically, the difference between Payne’s best game and worst game is zero. What he does week in, week out is good enough for any level of the game. Why should he be expected to step up on what he already does at a level above everyone else? What he lacks is on field aggression and that is what’s noticeable at origin level.

You put him in that QLD side instead of say Tino or even Collins and you would love what he does and that is no slight on Tino or Collins. All three are great at origin level.

I still think it's a mentality thing. The nsw players just don't have our drive for Origin. That's why we win unwinnable games through adversity. That's why Collins is competing to win a ball against a fullback at the end of a game.

How is Haas even a discussion?

The biggest issues for NSW, IMO, are Teddy and Luai.
Young had a bit of a shit game, but I think he is worth keeping.

QLD are an easy fix, Kaufusi comes straight in for Gilbert. The only other issue is Holmes and how bad a defender he is.

I think the person who unfortunately dominated the game last night was Klein. His failure to take action against JAC for his swinging arm on Walsh set the tone for the night.

It says so much about our gaame when he is put up as the best we've got. His bias is just too obvious.

How is Haas even a discussion?

The biggest issues for NSW, IMO, are Teddy and Luai.
Young had a bit of a shit game, but I think he is worth keeping.

QLD are an easy fix, Kaufusi comes straight in for Gilbert. The only other issue is Holmes and how bad a defender he is.

Genuinely interested, what makes you think Young is worth keeping, especially over say Kolomatagi, Oluakautu, Crichton?

Nsw pack dominated ours they had better of field just their halves were awful and Tedesco was just stifling their attack. If nsw go 1. Mitchell 6.Hynes and 7. Reynolds in game 2 NSW have very good chance of winning.
I thought the exact same thing this morning. The difference between NSW and QLD is we have leaders across the park. DCE, Carrigan, Hunt, Grant, Tino, Munster etc. NSW lacks that type of player. Reyno would solve that a fair bit for them and Hynes as well.

It will never happen though. Cleary will always get picked despite the need for a better leader.

Genuinely interested, what makes you think Young is worth keeping, especially over say Kolomatagi, Oluakautu, Crichton?
I think he has it in him to be a genuinely good origin player, and it's just a feel thing I can't provide anything to back it. Same as Martin for them.

I think Kolomatagi and Oluakautu are arguably NSW best backrowers, and I wouldn't consider it harsh to start them both in game 2. Crichton is an awesome player and I think is an ideal benchy who covers edge and middle, but that spot is currently being taken up by Martin.

I think the person who unfortunately dominated the game last night was Klein. His failure to take action against JAC for his swinging arm on Welsh set the tone for the night.

It says so much about our gaame when he is put up as the best we've got. His bias is just too obvious.

He just had to make the game about himself, it really just highlighted everything wrong with the NRL right now unfortunately:

- Refs getting punished for poor performance and then getting appointed to big games
- Interchange officials not seemingly being able to do their one job
- Sinbins for head clashes in origin!
- Penalties for diving in origin!
- Predictability that team behind will suddenly start getting favourable calls
- Randomness of HIAs
- Blatant knock ons when scoring getting ignored
- Unsuccessful captains challenges being deemed sort of not for reasons
- Late shots and second efforts being let go against one team and all good against the other
- No accountability from anyone and then doubling down by actually saying poor performance is actually within rule interpretations that have never existed
- Phantom six agains at origin!

I think he has it in him to be a genuinely good origin player, and it's just a feel thing I can't provide anything to back it. Same as Martin for them.

I think Kolomatagi and Oluakautu are arguably NSW best backrowers, and I wouldn't consider it harsh to start them both in game 2. Crichton is an awesome player and I think is an ideal benchy who covers edge and middle, but that spot is currently being taken up by Martin.

Fair enough. Martin is a gun, I’d argue he is the most complete second rower in the game right now

Also on the QLD second rowers, as mentioned above, you’d expect Kaufusi would come in but given they are up 1-0 and it’s at Suncorp, would you take the punt on Luki? He has superstar written all over him.

Also on the QLD second rowers, as mentioned above, you’d expect Kaufusi would come in but given they are up 1-0 and it’s at Suncorp, would you take the punt on Luki? He has superstar written all over him.
Absolutely not. Luki is barely in the Cows best 13. We haven't won the series, and he hasn't done enough to warrant selection for QLD, not even close.

Kaufusi straight into the right edge, only change.

I couldn't watch live because I was working - just watching the mini-match now.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but can anyone explain Flegler's sin-binning?

I wouldn't even consider that tackle to be a penalty, yet the bloke gets sin-binned at an absolutely pivotal moment of the match.

The fact we managed to then go on and score twice whilst being down a man just sums up Queensland in Origin to a tee.

I couldn't watch live because I was working - just watching the mini-match now.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but can anyone explain Flegler's sin-binning?

I wouldn't even consider that tackle to be a penalty, yet the bloke gets sin-binned at an absolutely pivotal moment of the match.

The fact we managed to then go on and score twice whilst being down a man just sums up Queensland in Origin to a tee.
It was all part of Flegler’s grand plan to get the boys fired up for the last ten mins of the game. Re-light the eternal flame that is Queensland spirit.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but when Munster releases the hammer and he pushed off JAC there is a kid running down the sideline in the background. It looks like he's able to keep pace with the Hammer. No small feat even though the Hammer would be a bit gassed. Who was that kid? He had an official pass around his neck.

Unread

Active Now

• barker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.