State of Origin 2023 - Game I Discussion

We have a different mentality though. NSWelshman don't have the same attitude as we do as much as they go on about it. Origin isn't about ability.

Yeah that's what I am saying. Put Haas in the QLD camp and I'm sure we would see him go up a gear.

Absolutely not. Luki is barely in the Cows best 13. We haven't won the series, and he hasn't done enough to warrant selection for QLD, not even close.

Kaufusi straight into the right edge, only change.
Luki is in their best 13. He just had that acl injury that cost him some footy

Luki is in their best 13. He just had that acl injury that cost him some footy
I said barely. The bloke hasn't got 50 games in the NRL, and isn't showing form that says he must be picked. Look at his teammate Nanai. He was picked way too early, and his form has shown this year he didn't deserve it. When Kaufusi has been on the field this year he has been awesome, and he has runs on the board for QLD.

I said barely. The bloke hasn't got 50 games in the NRL, and isn't showing form that says he must be picked. Look at his teammate Nanai. He was picked way too early, and his form has shown this year he didn't deserve it. When Kaufusi has been on the field this year he has been awesome, and he has runs on the board for QLD.
He has been injured and he's playing pretty decent footy in a poor side. Not saying I'd pick him, but hes good enough.

I don't know why NSW didn't attack our right side more often.

Losing Gilbert and Cotter defending in the second row, a position he's not familiar with. That hurts combinations in defence. NSW were already causing headaches for our right side so the logical response would be to keep attacking that side.

But instead they focused too much on attacking our left, no doubt because of Trbojevic/JAC marking up on Hammer/Taulagi.

If I were NSW, I would have been peppering QLD's right side. It's baffling they didn't.

I disagree. NSW had a game plan using Haas that they just didn’t capitalise on. They gave him every 2nd run, he’d stand upright and get that same quick play the ball that does nothing because the defensive players hold him up while the defensive line get back onside, then they were hoping they could capitalise on a broken line but weren’t able to. This didn’t work the first time so they tried it again the very next play. Haas wasn’t the issue, their expectations and use of him was.
I thought Qld did an amazing job to restrict offloads from NSW.

I think they went in knowing TPJ would be looking to offload, Payne's offload game has been excellent this year as well... and then you have Paulo, Young, etc. that can offload as well.

NRL.com has NSW with 4 offloads with all of them attributed to backs (2x Cleary, 1x To'o and 1x Turbo).... I'm guessing TPJ's was put down as an error instead... but that is excellent work from the Qld forwards to effectively restrict the NSW forwards to zero effective offloads.

There's a reason I said in the pre season predictions Tedesco would be replaced by JoSu. It's been obvious to me he's lost half a step of acceleration and agility, which is his main strength. The second issue is that he now thinks he's a ball player too, and gets involved wayyy too much each set.

You're a ball runner James, always have been and always will be. Don't overplay your hand.

His last season of rep - will be replaced by Mitchell imo.
He's the new Gallen... takes a million hit ups for meters and is then always getting in the way on backline movements and becoming a handbrake on their attack.

If he's lost his tackle breaking ability then he's effectively useless compared to what he used to be.

I couldn't watch live because I was working - just watching the mini-match now.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but can anyone explain Flegler's sin-binning?

I wouldn't even consider that tackle to be a penalty, yet the bloke gets sin-binned at an absolutely pivotal moment of the match.

The fact we managed to then go on and score twice whilst being down a man just sums up Queensland in Origin to a tee.

His pecs hit Turbo in the head. One of the worst sin bins so far this year, just watched the replay of it. Atkins or Klown, whoever made the call it was a bin should be sacked entirely. The MRO whacking him with a charge is surely an arse covering exercise.

Watching the Fox Sports replay, Ennis can be hard to listen to sometimes.

When Hammer almost makes that break down the sideline, but gets tripped over by Taulagi and taken over the sideline, apparently that was smart play from Trbojevic "letting" Hammer have that space on the edge to trick him into taking it..

I don't know what he was watching but if Taulagi doesn't trip Hammer by getting in his way, that's a try to QLD or at the very least QLD are playing the ball in NSW's 20 against a staggered defensive line.

Trbojevic was very slow to react.

Same with Hammer's first try off the grubber, Turbo barely reacted, just watched as Hammer went past him.

“This is a wig, [Walsh] couldn’t pull it out,”

“I knew it was him too because he ran away,” Luai said.

“He doesn’t want to [fight]. I’m ready for it, I love that stuff. If you’re going to do that and run then that says a lot about you.”

Luai gobbing off about Walsh pulling his hair.

If nsw pick a team like this
1.Mitchell
2. Foxx
3. Trbojevic
4. Graham
5. To'o
6. Hynes
7.Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Api
10. TPJ
11. Young
12. Martin
13. Murray
14. Burton
15. RCG/Stefano
16. Paulo
17. Olkau'atu
They will much more freighting. Cleary is the new new Pearce good in nrl bad at representative level. Reyno will know Walsh cobbo carrigan game well and know how to exploit weaknesses add best player in nrl last 18 months in Hynes you have a team. Freddy too bias to do that and we will win 3-0.

“He doesn’t want to [fight]. I’m ready for it, I love that stuff. If you’re going to do that and run then that says a lot about you.”

Luai is a colossal fuckwit and i watch Penrith games on the chance someone smashes this rat ****.
Hated his guts since his incident with Cobbo amongst other telltale signs the bloke is a ****.

I thought Qld did an amazing job to restrict offloads from NSW.

I think they went in knowing TPJ would be looking to offload, Payne's offload game has been excellent this year as well... and then you have Paulo, Young, etc. that can offload as well.

NRL.com has NSW with 4 offloads with all of them attributed to backs (2x Cleary, 1x To'o and 1x Turbo).... I'm guessing TPJ's was put down as an error instead... but that is excellent work from the Qld forwards to effectively restrict the NSW forwards to zero effective offloads.
You could see the NSW attack getting set before Haas was finished being tackled. He wasn't looking for an offload because it wasn't what their plan was. They were attempting to catch us out but for some reason they fell into the same trap we have for a while. Players just hold Haas upright and set their defensive line. He should be hitting the deck and getting up with players on him so the attack can run at a broken line. They just don't know how to use him right.

This can't be a real quote.

Luai spent the night shuffling the ball off as quick as he could to avoid contact or anyone doing "something about it". He doesn't love a fight, he loves shoving someones face into the ground after someone else tackles them. There's just no accountability for this **** wit. There's a group of people on Twitter claiming racism every time he's insulted too.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but when Munster releases the hammer and he pushed off JAC there is a kid running down the sideline in the background. It looks like he's able to keep pace with the Hammer. No small feat even though the Hammer would be a bit gassed. Who was that kid? He had an official pass around his neck.
Haha yeah I noticed that, the kid did get a head start though

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Mr Fourex
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Foordy
  • Justwin
  • Xzei
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • Yellowfella
  • Strop
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • bb_gun
  • jd87
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • ostin86
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.