State of Origin 2023 - Game I Discussion

And here’s me thinking as a Broncos fan I don’t want to see any Broncos player ever do a “Phins Up”, I don’t give a f*** what jersey they’re wearing.
It’s not a fins up, it’s a hammerhead shark. His people’s totem. It really pisses me off that the commentators don’t know this, he’s done the hammerhead shark since debut for cowboys.

End irrational rant.

“This is a wig, [Walsh] couldn’t pull it out,”

“I knew it was him too because he ran away,” Luai said.

“He doesn’t want to [fight]. I’m ready for it, I love that stuff. If you’re going to do that and run then that says a lot about you.”

Luai gobbing off about Walsh pulling his hair.

Absolute flog

2019, 2020, 2022, NSW responded by absolutely annihilating QLD.

All of the shit they're copping about their attack, they are going to be fired up looking to put a cricket score on us and they are quite capable of doing exactly that. Hopefully Slater has a plan for that.

It's going to make going to Sydney and winning a decider very difficult if QLD get pummeled in QLD.

Absolute flog

Qld should pick someone expendable, pick them as 18th man. Toward the end of the game, fake three HIAs because that's what you can these days and then send out the 18th man with one purpose. Smack Luai in the face. That is his only KPI and if he manages to get sent off for it, even better. That will sort that grub out. I'd even be happy for it to be a Bronco.

It’s not a fins up, it’s a hammerhead shark. His people’s totem. It really pisses me off that the commentators don’t know this, he’s done the hammerhead shark since debut for cowboys.

End irrational rant.

NRL commentators have one job, know about the players and like all things NRL, they fail at their job. I mean, we on this forum aren't paid to watch the NRL all the time, are neither Cowboys or Dolphins fans obviously, and even we know this. Pick up your game NRL, Channel 9 and Fox.

2019, 2020, 2022, NSW responded by absolutely annihilating QLD.

All of the shit they're copping about their attack, they are going to be fired up looking to put a cricket score on us and they are quite capable of doing exactly that. Hopefully Slater has a plan for that.

It's going to make going to Sydney and winning a decider very difficult if QLD get pummeled in QLD.
I think the combination of this game being at Suncorp, we weren’t all that great this game so Slater will be after improvement and Slater will make it his mission to make sure we play well in the 2nd game which we haven’t done for a number of years. We have it all to really play for in this next game, will be interesting to see how we go.

And Hammers defence was incredible, 15 tackles no misses.

Considering Centre is probably the hardest position in the game to complete your tackle.

Val on the other hand had 5 misses and looked a bit of a liability at times.

Part of the problem is Daley jams up and in next to his 2nd rower and leaves Val and Selwyn to look after themselves .
Apparently its an old Des Hasler tactic that Daley continues to this day .

I think the combination of this game being at Suncorp, we weren’t all that great this game so Slater will be after improvement and Slater will make it his mission to make sure we play well in the 2nd game which we haven’t done for a number of years. We have it all to really play for in this next game, will be interesting to see how we go.

And like, even if the ref goes full idiot, which is highly likely, QLD has shown that doesn’t work either.

In fact, I’m expecting the officials to go even more absurd in round 2. Has anyone ever been sent off for being on the ground and not involved in play on the other side? I suspect we might see this.

With 9 minutes to go I was beginning to lament all the errors Queensland had made up until that point. NSW didn't deserve the lead but with both wingers off the field, Gilbert injured, Flegler in the bin and NSW in an attacking position it was looking very dicey.

Then Queensland pulled off arguably their greatest houdini act in Origin history. Not only do they regain possession, but they win early momentum. They shift the ball right, to set up a long shift left and Munster in a moment of brilliance backs himself against the make-shift centre pairing and Hamiso pulled off one of the all-time great finishes to give Queensland this unbelievable lead.

Up until that point, it had been a strange game. NSW got their pants pulled down early and it appeared a couple of their selections gambles had backfired spectacularly. Then Gilbert does his shoulder, Queensland get penalised in possession and it's only a couple of unbelievable try-savers from Taulagi that kept them in it.

When NSW finally turned to Murray, Paulo and Martin they found their rhythm and looked far more dangerous. Meanwhile all the interchange drama, possession and territory had taken their toll on Queensland. Even Harry Grant who has taken to Origin like a duck to water just looked out of sorts because everybody was gassed.

Second half it looked like Queensland were going to up the ante and use the ball inside their own half. It looked like it was going to pay off and they were beginning to make some inroads before disaster struck with Val. It seemed obvious Atkins was just going to back Klein's call no matter what so after getting the Frizell & cross-field kick decision, the Maroons had to take their medicine.

I thought the Maroons did well to regroup. It would have been easy to concede another or lose the plot after the 40/20 didn't result in anything but they just kept turning up. When Cotter pounced on TPJ's loose offload, I liked that the Maroons didn't waste anytime and were creative with the footy. The balls on Reece Walsh to not only throw a no look pass, but do it against Stephen Crichton and absolutely nail it on debut is insane. Then to top it off, Cobbo somehow absorbs the impact of two guys travelling at speed to stay in field and plant it down.

You always know when Cobbo's scored because he can't help but smile.

I'm with all you guys that my favourite moment was the Munster try. Not only because it sealed the win, but I just loved how the players recognised the effort Collins made. That summed it up for me, the forwards worked their asses off and the backs were there to nail the few opportunities they had.

Nothing is ever going to top 1994 but nearly 30 years later, it's in that ball-park for me.
Was the reffing back in 1994 as farcical as it was on Wednesday night?

What was your actual take on the Api try?

Any comment on the Fox hit on Walsh?

Was the reffing back in 1994 as farcical as it was on Wednesday night?

What was your actual take on the Api try?

Any comment on the Fox hit on Walsh?
Knock on everyday of the week. It's backwards initially, but then he has a second dip at it and it goes forward. It was never a knock on by Queensland like Klein ruled it.

Penalty sufficient on Fox. It's Origin, let's play some footy.

I'm not sure about 1994, but I was watching 1995 recently and they'd fit right in. The biggest difference is they weren't as high strung about foul play. Flegler would have been celebrated as a great hit and nothing more.

Knock on everyday of the week. It's backwards initially, but then he has a second dip at it and it goes forward. It was never a knock on by Queensland like Klein ruled it.
Bunker also got it wrong then. I agree, knock-on every single time in league. Hate this new millimetre investigation on knock-ons. Eye test it.
Penalty sufficient on Fox. It's Origin, let's play some footy.
I thought the same at the time, but I'm a big stickler for like-for-like adjudication.
I'm not sure about 1994, but I was watching 1995 recently and they'd fit right in. The biggest difference is they weren't as high strung about foul play. Flegler would have been celebrated as a great hit and nothing more.
Honestly, that was what I thought Origin was. I think most players who play Origin go in knowing that and harden themselves for it. Was it a send off? No way. Gilbert elbowing Young in the face to get him away from DCE was worse. But that was Origin and I would hate for Origin to be decided based on a sin binning like Flegler's.
When Tallis got famously sent off, you could kind of understand that. But the Flegler binning, especially when compared to other incidents in the same game, please give me a break.

Imo any Sinbin that doesn't result in a suspension of some sort outside obviously professional fouls is not a sin bin and a penalty instead.

I don't know why the instruction to be soo sin bin friendly is in the game, it ruins games and it's given out like free candy.

There's a reason I said in the pre season predictions Tedesco would be replaced by JoSu. It's been obvious to me he's lost half a step of acceleration and agility, which is his main strength. The second issue is that he now thinks he's a ball player too, and gets involved wayyy too much each set.

You're a ball runner James, always have been and always will be. Don't overplay your hand.

His last season of rep - will be replaced by Mitchell imo.
Let's hope Fittler doesn't do it next game.
Teddy has been sod ordinary all year. Mitchell to FB and Graham to centre us obvious but NSW will be all caught up on the staying loyal v panicking after a loss.
I'm loving the self inflicted mind **** they've created for themselves over the years almost as much as the games.
Every journo and ex player will be piling on with their opinion, it's fucking glorious.

Let's hope Fittler doesn't do it next game.
Teddy has been sod ordinary all year. Mitchell to FB and Graham to centre us obvious but NSW will be all caught up on the staying loyal v panicking after a loss.
I'm loving the self inflicted mind **** they've created for themselves over the years almost as much as the games.
Every journo and ex player will be piling on with their opinion, it's fucking glorious.
Totally agree. They've got themselves into a position where any decision they make will be met with severe criticism. It is indeed fucking glorious!

And like, even if the ref goes full idiot, which is highly likely, QLD has shown that doesn’t work either.

In fact, I’m expecting the officials to go even more absurd in round 2. Has anyone ever been sent off for being on the ground and not involved in play on the other side? I suspect we might see this.

If anyone can manage that feat, Flegler can.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.